Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Larry
23 Posts
I'm going to be spraying my interior trim with BM Advanced. I first need to shoot it with primer and then I plan to do 2 coats of the BM.

I normally only spray doors, so I've never really had to tape anything off for more than a day, but I plan to shoot primer in the morning, then the first coat of BM in the afternoon and the second coat the following afternoon. Will I need to do anything special as far as masking goes?

Also, any recommendations for a good sprayable primer? I'll most likely be using a 311 tip on my graco X5 for this project.
Why in the world are you spraying trim three times? Unless it's bare wood, no primer needed, and BM Advanced is made for one coat, especially spraying.
Just wondering...

·
Monarchski
99 Posts
Why in the world are you spraying trim three times? Unless it's bare wood, no primer needed, and BM Advanced is made for one coat, especially spraying.
Just wondering...
Advance is NOT designed for one coat, it's designed for 2 thin/medium coats or it will run.

·
Larry
23 Posts
If you didn't already know that then I doubt you've used it at all or very much. I'm sure BM will be crushed...
FYI: I'm a now a retired painter, and I've been house painting for over 40 years and had my own business 32 years. Started painting at the age of 13 for my father who
was a painter all HIS life too. So....
I been around the block a few times, and I've learned a long time ago, that if you're going to pay that much for ANY paint, it SHOULD easily cover, and NOT run.
But if you want to spend all that money on paint and apply three coats, don't listen to me. Or perhaps you could respect an opinion of a painter with
that much experience, and take that advise, rather then reply with snide comments. I'm just trying to help. Otherwise thanks for your reply, and good luck out there kid.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I agree with Larry. Lots of Benjamin-moore sycophants on this forum. Let's face it, Advance isn't the best out there, especially if you're trying to make a living in new construction where the environment isn't perfectly controlled. Lots of other paints level out just as well and look just as good, yet don't run and dry in less than an hour.

·
Monarchski
99 Posts
FYI: I'm a now a retired painter, and I've been house painting for over 40 years and had my own business 32 years. Started painting at the age of 13 for my father who
was a painter all HIS life too. So....
I been around the block a few times, and I've learned a long time ago, that if you're going to pay that much for ANY paint, it SHOULD easily cover, and NOT run.
But if you want to spend all that money on paint and apply three coats, don't listen to me. Or perhaps you could respect an opinion of a painter with
that much experience, and take that advise, rather then reply with snide comments. I'm just trying to help. Otherwise thanks for your reply, and good luck out there kid.
Well, like I said you evidently have NOT sprayed it you didn't know it was a 2 coat system and if you're retired HOW exactly are you "out" on that product? Doesn't sound like you buy and use paint anymore. Hey, I respect knowledge and have over 35 years in the industry myself so not a "kid" and besides being a paint contractor, have also sat on the product development teams for 2 companies, one of those a large national company. Your reply was snarky and I replied in kind. Have a nice day.

·
Monarchski
99 Posts
I agree with Larry. Lots of Benjamin-moore sycophants on this forum. Let's face it, Advance isn't the best out there, especially if you're trying to make a living in new construction where the environment isn't perfectly controlled. Lots of other paints level out just as well and look just as good, yet don't run and dry in less than an hour.
Really? What products would those be? No product works for everyone and every job but the Advance works great when used correctly in most cases and it was designed more for residential repaint. Not so much in dark colors, it needs some work in that area.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Really? What products would those be? No product works for everyone and every job but the Advance works great when used correctly in most cases and it was designed more for residential repaint. Not so much in dark colors, it needs some work in that area.
Direct competition: SW Emerald. Levels out just as well, looks just as good, full cure is harder than Advance. Dulux Diamond. My favourite paint for hollow metal doors/frames. Looks like oil when brushed and rolled with 10mm sleeves. Commercial toughness.

From BM, even scuff-x will be tougher than Advance.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Emerald is NOT a direct competition, in the fact that advance is used as an oil based substitute. Some clients insist on oil, but will settle for advance when you convince them that its a hybrid. Other contractors are speccing advance for trim. We dont always have a choice.

·
Monarchski
99 Posts
Direct competition: SW Emerald. Levels out just as well, looks just as good, full cure is harder than Advance. Dulux Diamond. My favourite paint for hollow metal doors/frames. Looks like oil when brushed and rolled with 10mm sleeves. Commercial toughness.

From BM, even scuff-x will be tougher than Advance.
Emerald is a Urethane Acrylic just like the BM Cabinet Coat and nothing like the Advance which is a water soluble alkyd. SW has nothing like it. The Advance looks and feels just like an alkyd.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm not talking about what it's made of, and you guys are smart enough to know that. I'm talking competition based on intended usages.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,373 Posts
I'm not talking about what it's made of, and you guys are smart enough to know that. I'm talking competition based on intended usages.
Since were talking about intended uses. ScuffX is actually promoted as a wall paint in commercial settings. It does have a nice candy shell, but not sure I'd say its "tougher" than Advance. It certainly won't flow out like Advance, especially in a brushed situation. Advance also isn't , or ever was promoted as a commercial/new construction product. It's designed more for cabinets and architectural trim with fantastic brushing abilities. I'm not sure why people would think that to be a good choice for spraying out trim in New Construction. Unless requested of course. The Diamond is a good product too. Never used it on trim, only walls.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,373 Posts
What does BM have for trim then? Other than Advance?
Interesting enough, I've also asked this question. They don't really promote any of thier products as "trim paints". OF course they have a semi-gloss in all of thier products which adds durability, hense most people just use the semi-gloss version of whichever paint..They do however carry the cornado waterborne alkyd which has a 4 hr recoat time I believe. It's like a cheaper version of Advance, but they certainly don't promote it. May give it a try..

·
Monarchski
99 Posts
What does BM have for trim then? Other than Advance?
Some of that depends on what your local BM dealer stocks although they might bring something in for you. The Cabinet Coat is one although kind of pricey for new construction. That stuff levels out great. They have the Coronado 203 Satin and 204 S/G line which is a hybrid. Easy to work with and a better price point. They also have the Rust Scat product. Needs a name change but I know some guys that will use nothing else and swear by the Waterborne version. Say it's the toughest product you could find but I have not personally used it yet. It's also in the Coronado line from BM.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I guess cabinet coat... We used to just use regal, or even just ultra spec on the trim.
I've used the ultra spec in an apartment building for trim, or in commercial settings. Definitely not the prettiest paint, but it is cross-linking. I can't see regal being tough enough for trim, at least not in a commercial setting.

Does the Cabinet coat level out well? I can't even get it tinted at any of the closest 3 stores to me, since it's not on gennex yet.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Cabinet coat is easier than advance, but can get tricky with humidity or in a bagged off kitchen. Some people claim it brushes out well, but I think advance brushes out way better. if you spray a single door in an open area, it will turn out sweet... A bunch of doors in a masked off room in humidity... not so much.

I've really only sprayed it myself.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts