Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
41 - 41 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
paint store sales. over 40 years experience
174 Posts
sometimes a perfect match in unachievable. I mentioned in a previous thread I turned down earlier this year a 100K+ sikkens restoration. How can you match 30 year old oxidized varnish that has 10+ layers of pigmented top coat applied? Not possible economically. At this point I would recommend replacing the siding
Hey, all. I'm new to the forum, and appreciate having your input. I'm an old contractor who recalls an old contractor once telling me how he "ambers shellac", or something like that. I'm installing maple on a job that has maple in place that was finished and installed in 2008. I'd like to get the finish close, but it doesn't have to be perfect because the new and old work won't be very close to one another. Any suggestions? A photo is attached, showing the (darker) existing against a new sample with "Campbell Finish, Clear Satin" on maple. View attachment 114511 Thanks very much.
I take it you are trying to match the Oak? The radish flooring makes it near impossible to to convert as the red will turn brownish when yellow or amber is introduced. Days of old we would use a shined base coat of well thinned alkyd enamel undercoat tinted slightly with some raw Sienna. apply an oak stain, then apply a skim coat of a reddish stain using a graining tool. Apply a coat of shellac, sand lightly, then apply your finish varnish. For the past 5 years, variegated or composite wood is what contractors bring into match. No one wants to hear the variety of wood used to obtain the manufacturers effect. Make your customer or end user understand we cannot duplicate what machine has created.

41 - 41 of 41 Posts