Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to start the faux wood job . The HO has requested that I do the trim and doors a matte white. After all the positive things that were said about Scuff-X in the last couple of my threads I was feeling pretty confident that I could do trim and doors with a matte Scuff-x . But when I mentioned it to the BM counter person (not the rep, she wasn't there) she had a very negative reaction and told me that I should talk the HO into a more glossy sheen. - I did look at some of the past posts where there were some pictures of black matte cabinets, but they put a clear coat over the top of it . Did I misunderstand about the properties of scuff-x ? Do I have any options for a matte trim and doors or should I talk her up to a satin?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do what the customer wants. Explain that it won't be as easy to clean, but some people don't live like slobs and it will be fine.
[/QUOTE

They had problems with an eggshell on trim in the past. Granted , that was at their other house , which was in the middle of a potato field. I had a customer that wanted to save money painting an apartment he was renting by doing everything with an egshell promar 200 , it worked ok , except the flat windowsills were straight up dust collectors. I had to go back and semi-gloss on the flat parts. I may have led the HO to believe that scuff-x might be the solution to wanting a low lustre sheen without the usual drawbacks .
I think I am just going to try it . I'll just prep and prime everything and then do one door and a section of trim and see how it goes from there.

·
Registered
192 Posts
last week I used scuff x eggshell on casings and doors looked good. I would say a low sheen eggshell. but lower than ultra low sheen for comparison. heck even lower than pro mar 200 low sheen imho. might be what would work.

·
Monarchski
59 Posts
Getting ready to start the faux wood job . The HO has requested that I do the trim and doors a matte white. After all the positive things that were said about Scuff-X in the last couple of my threads I was feeling pretty confident that I could do trim and doors with a matte Scuff-x . But when I mentioned it to the BM counter person (not the rep, she wasn't there) she had a very negative reaction and told me that I should talk the HO into a more glossy sheen. - I did look at some of the past posts where there were some pictures of black matte cabinets, but they put a clear coat over the top of it . Did I misunderstand about the properties of scuff-x ? Do I have any options for a matte trim and doors or should I talk her up to a satin?
It depends on their expectations. ScuffX isn't as hard as an alkyd but it's at least as hard as Pro Classic Acrylic. You also have to remember that Scuffx needs 2 coats to get the durability and that product does sheen up with each coat you apply. I saw some walls where a guy put 3 coats on it and it looked more satin.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Everybody puts their hands on their doors throughout the day, or pulls them against the sole of their shoe once in a while. I would definitely caution against the matte, and go with an acrylic enamel in satin or higher sheen. If they choose the lower sheen, that's fine, it's their house. Have never used the ScuffX, but if it smooths over with additional coats, it might be okay. Just my two cents......

·
Registered
708 Posts
Some people just don't like sheen. Personally, I'd be comfortable with the Scuff-X matte, though maybe discuss upping to eggshell. As noted, the sheen levels are higher, so the matte is more like an eggshell and eggshell more like a satin.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I used the Scuff-X matte in my apartment that I rent out. It has a feel of a satin. And,, more importantly it does not look like a matte. So, customer might not like the look of it, but I do think it will be much more durable than a normal matte.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I just used Scuff X eggshell in my daughter’s home. It felt super slick and I already had to wipe a drip of wall paint off it. No problem. I’d expect the matte to behave similarly.

From a woman’s point of view- I greatly dislike when someone isn’t hearing the words coming out of my mouth. If she said, “I want matte.”, then give her what she asked for.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I just used Scuff X eggshell in my daughter’s home. It felt super slick and I already had to wipe a drip of wall paint off it. No problem. I’d expect the matte to behave similarly.

From a woman’s point of view- I greatly dislike when someone isn’t hearing the words coming out of my mouth. If she said, “I want matte.”, then give her what she asked for.
It drives me nuts, too. My wife and I went car shopping for her new car. Every single salesperson kept directing the conversation to me. It's not my car! Talk to her!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

My usual protocol when asked to jump, by a client , is to say "how high". The only thing that makes this situation different is that I was the one who led her to believe that the scuff-x was suitable for trim in any sheen and that a factor that contributed to her decision. If my information wasn't accurate then I don't want to mislead her.

·
Administrator
19,666 Posts
Simply exercise your duty as the painter and let them know the downside of going with a matte. After that, it’s their call. How it wears and tears isn’t your concern if that’s the way they decide to go.

Just got done doing the interior of a rental for some good friends. They are now going to sell it. Tried to steer them to a soft, warmer white but the wife of the couple likes really stark whites - almost an icy blue cast. Not the least bit attractive or welcoming IMO but after trying several times to gently redirect them, I simply let it go. Doing a good job of applying it is what they are ultimately paying me for, not necessarily for my thoughts on painting for reselling - despite having quite a lot of experience with doing so.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I dont see the problem. As long as its a durable enamel, matte will be just fine. They paint cars in matte, after all. I wouldnt do it myself, though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
all scuff x has a smooth feel. The higher the sheen the smoother it gets. Semi gloss for trim and doors is pretty amazing stuff but if i dont want that super shine i go with satin. Eggshell seem can be closer to a satin on trim but the matte on walls say a hallway where you put 2 coats looks more like satin when the light hits it. But walls painted in scuff x will have you sliding off them if you lean up against them lol.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,159 Posts
This may be too little too late, but my question would be, is she wanting the exact paint on the trims as the walls..Meaning an Aura Matte will be different than the ScuffX Matte.
Although I believe the ScuffX may be more suitable on the trims, IMO would be too shiny on the walls, not to mention it looks cheap on the walls compared to Aura. Its designed more for offices and mudrooms. Personally, I would do Aura Matte through out. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This may be too little too late, but my question would be, is she wanting the exact paint on the trims as the walls..Meaning an Aura Matte will be different than the ScuffX Matte.
Although I believe the ScuffX may be more suitable on the trims, IMO would be too shiny on the walls, not to mention it looks cheap on the walls compared to Aura. Its designed more for offices and mudrooms. Personally, I would do Aura Matte through out. My 2 cents.
I
I'm only doing the trim and doors, and base. -

·
Registered
54 Posts
A few years back i painted a 5800sf new house and I finished the windows/trim and doors with pro classic semigloss acrylic. Last job with that product as the tent( very light color...whitetail) settled out ( mind you days} to the bottom of the can and became very hard to remix. And no help from the SW manager.... My new favorite is Scuffx eggshell for trim and door work. Dead on you wont see sheen but with your eyes closed you would swear it was semi-gloss to the touch. Scuffx matte feels less so. As a side note i always do samples for the client to feel and see the sheen to confirm product.... Have never had a problem with tent settling out of paint like that in 37years of painting.....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A few years back i painted a 5800sf new house and I finished the windows/trim and doors with pro classic semigloss acrylic. Last job with that product as the tent( very light color...whitetail) settled out ( mind you days} to the bottom of the can and became very hard to remix. And no help from the SW manager.... My new favorite is Scuffx eggshell for trim and door work. Dead on you wont see sheen but with your eyes closed you would swear it was semi-gloss to the touch. Scuffx matte feels less so. As a side note i always do samples for the client to feel and see the sheen to confirm product.... Have never had a problem with tent settling out of paint like that in 37years of painting.....
The sample is a good idea. She went with the scuff-x matte . I'm really pleased with it. The job is taking longer than I thought it would. Primed everything with stix, sanded, two coats of the scuff x. Home owner is really happy with it .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts