Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to spray coloured lacqer on mdf cabinets and a sitting bench. There are routered exposed edges. Sitting bench in dining room backing onto and exterior window. What do I put on first to seal. Lacquer is white fir one and dark grey for the second units.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have to spray coloured lacqer on mdf cabinets and a sitting bench. There are routered exposed edges. Sitting bench in dining room backing onto and exterior window. What do I put on first to seal. Lacquer is white fir one and dark grey for the second units.
If the edges are rough, I'd wood bondo them. Then use a lacquer undercoater followed by a topcoat. If you're worried about adhesion with the bondo, put a coat of SealCoat on it before using the undercoater.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Whatever you do, don't use any water-based materials as a first coat. It will make the machined edges all rough. I use Park's grain filler to dress the edges. It is designed for open-grained flooring (like oak). It dries quicker than almost everything else I've tried and sands easier too. I apply it like I'm applying shoe polish. You find it in the big box stores along with the floor finishing products. Its texture is fairly loose and watery, but that works well for this application.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
whatever lacquer undercoater is specced for the product. ask the paint store, not us.
Wow thanks for the reply. I was given a can of lacquer that matches the kitchen cupboards. The paint store as you call it is about 900 km from me. So I need a fix. Thanking the other guys for there advice i will follow and seal all exposed edges and go from there.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,704 Posts
Wow thanks for the reply. I was given a can of lacquer that matches the kitchen cupboards. The paint store as you call it is about 900 km from me. So I need a fix. Thanking the other guys for there advice i will follow and seal all exposed edges and go from there.
I would still check for compatibility. A quick call to the lacquer manufacturer wouldn't hurt..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would still check for compatibility. A quick call to the lacquer manufacturer wouldn't hurt..
Thanks Kevyn, it’s rechileau water base solid lacquer. So I will call them tommorrow. I’m a really good painter but not on the spraying cabinet side. Have sprayed in houses for years all airless. But now being asked to do custom cabinets and boxes and have a new air assist boss bought me but need a little help. Never sprayed solid Color lacquer before and never on mdf routered edges. The cabinet shop that gave me this lacquer just told me now they will give me some waste Color lacquer to prime but it’s all water base. So knowing how it will raise grain, I was wondering if the drywall mud or glue water etc would be a first step to help, or an oil primer.

·
Administrator
19,998 Posts
Thanks Kevyn, it’s rechileau water base solid lacquer. So I will call them tommorrow. I’m a really good painter but not on the spraying cabinet side. Have sprayed in houses for years all airless. But now being asked to do custom cabinets and boxes and have a new air assist boss bought me but need a little help. Never sprayed solid Color lacquer before and never on mdf routered edges. The cabinet shop that gave me this lacquer just told me now they will give me some waste Color lacquer to prime but it’s all water base. So knowing how it will raise grain, I was wondering if the drywall mud or glue water etc would be a first step to help, or an oil primer.
Maybe this has been suggested already and I missed it, but get some samples of the material (or as close as possible) the cabinets are made of and practice on them. Obviously, you really don’t want to learn your spraying techniques on a customer’s cabinets.

Reactions: finishesbykevyn
1 - 11 of 11 Posts