Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our current job is a 7k sqqft home. It was purchased for 2.9 million. The old owners had it repainted before selling it. The new owners who are great customers of ours (6 homes so far 5k-23k sqft we have done for them). This is their final home, no more moving until it's to the grave they said.

The painter who was just in there before it sold painted walls and ceilings only. So far every single piece of trim has been hit with the wall color, the ceilings they tried to just roll and not cut (this ceiling is 22' high). We have pointed out the trim mess and the owners said for now they will live with it. We are repainting walls only right now. This morning is when we tackled the higher walls and that's when we noticed the weak cut on the ceiling, again pointing it out. We will be back there for more painting but next winter.

This other painter has painted the 3 other homes on this street and the neighbors raved about his work. We went inside 2 of them and saw the same quality painting. Wall paint all over trim.

I can not for the life of me figure out why these owners rave about this butcher. All these homes are 2+ million. This is driving me nuts now that our color change is making the other wall color on the trim jump right out. I know we will make it look great but not until next winter. This will be on my mind all summer. We also know the painter charged a good amount of money to paint and his work isn't worth 1/5th of what he charged.

·
Registered
384 Posts
What is the problem? You got the job to repaint, make some money and be happy, me's guessing.

On the other hand, I'd just show the owner, who can't afford the work, how to clean the overspray and move on, retaining the good customer's referral.

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is the problem? You got the job to repaint, make some money and be happy, me's guessing.

On the other hand, I'd just show the owner, who can't afford the work, how to clean the overspray and move on, retaining the good customer's referral.
These people could afford a good quality job for the price they paid. This is the worst I have seen. Fortunately we don't see this that often. It drive me nuts painters would do this and think they did a good job. I don't care we got the job we got the trim job to do later because it's such a mess. Now we have to add the ceilings. As a pro we have a system and ceilings are always first, this job they will be last.

I will take pics today.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
These people could afford a good quality job for the price they paid. This is the worst I have seen. Fortunately we don't see this that often. It drive me nuts painters would do this and think they did a good job. I don't care we got the job we got the trim job to do later because it's such a mess. Now we have to add the ceilings. As a pro we have a system and ceilings are always first, this job they will be last.

I will take pics today.
If i had a dollar for every time I've seen a "professional" painter rip someone off like this i'd be bigger then Sherman Williams!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I had a similar job last year in a million dollar home. Folks just bought this home which was just painted all white (ceilings and walls) and had custom wood trim throughout. Whoever painted it before masked everything and shot it with an airless and they had tape line ridges about 1/4-1/2" onto the wall leaving previous wall color around the trim edges. I had to carefully get rid of that edge through all 12 rooms of this house.

·
Administrator
19,583 Posts
I suspect these are the "competing" bids where you hear from the customer, "The other guy is $1000 lower than you."

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

I will take pics today.
Ugh, walls, trim, then ceilings last, that sucks.
About the perimeter mess ups: If I had the chance, I would paint all those trim edges with trim colored cabinet coat (or another appropriate trim paint), and then tape it to paint the walls. Of course a little scuff and dusting beforehand... Cabinet coat dries so nice and fast. I've used Advance to do this with one company, but the wait time to tape it was just stupid and it would take 2 coats over most wall colors to hide.

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ugh, walls, trim, then ceilings last, that sucks.
About the perimeter mess ups: If I had the chance, I would paint all those trim edges with trim colored cabinet coat (or another appropriate trim paint), and then tape it to paint the walls. Of course a little scuff and dusting beforehand... Cabinet coat dries so nice and fast. I've used Advance to do this with one company, but the wait time to tape it was just stupid and it would take 2 coats over most wall colors to hide.
It is a pain. I wish we noticed first off we then would have hit the ceilings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts