Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm bidding a job with classic metal cabinets from 1952. The last time I did them was my own kitchen 7 years ago. My basic MO is to remove the doors and hardware. Spray the doors&drawers off-site (probably with the Titan airless, depending on materials), and use a high quality foam roller on the bases in place.

Notes on process, are welcome and helpful, but my main question is what to spec for materials.

Last time, I used SuperSpec DTM Gloss by Ben Moore
This time, I am considering that vs the SS Urethane Enamel Gloss

I remember being not thrilled with BM Metal & Wood Enamel back in the day. I don't think Impervo comes in high gloss (although if customer wants satin, she can have it - but IMHO these cabinets would have been gloss originally)

What are your favorite gloss enamels for metal? Are you sold on oil like I am? Is it worth going outside of the BM catalog?

thoughts?

· Registered
1,352 Posts
Hi All,

I'm bidding a job with classic metal cabinets from 1952. The last time I did them was my own kitchen 7 years ago. My basic MO is to remove the doors and hardware. Spray the doors&drawers off-site (probably with the Titan airless, depending on materials), and use a high quality foam roller on the bases in place.

Notes on process, are welcome and helpful, but my main question is what to spec for materials.

Last time, I used SuperSpec DTM Gloss by Ben Moore
This time, I am considering that vs the SS Urethane Enamel Gloss

I remember being not thrilled with BM Metal & Wood Enamel back in the day. I don't think Impervo comes in high gloss (although if customer wants satin, she can have it - but IMHO these cabinets would have been gloss originally)

What are your favorite gloss enamels for metal? Are you sold on oil like I am? Is it worth going outside of the BM catalog?

thoughts?
I really like the look of gloss oil. IMO Coronado Rustscat Alkyd urethane gloss is a very nice paint. We add 2 oz. of XIM extender and 2 oz. of thinner and it really lays down in a sweet way. That's brushed or sprayed.

A BM store should be able to get it for you.

· Registered
1,595 Posts
Metal medicine cabinet

Of course it will yellow if it is white or off white. Anything else will be fine.
The reason I ask about yellowing is I have to give a price on repainting a large metal medicine cabinet. It is about 60 years old, white enamel that needs recoating to look good. The frame is about 4.5 feet wide and 3 feet high. The shelves are about 6" wide and all come out. The back of the cabinet is the wall. The wall is orange peel texture that was the original finish on all ceilings and walls in this hi rise condo.

I don't know yet what the client wants as far as the back wall, but the frame and shelves need to be recoated. I was thinking of Muralo Ultra white gloss or semi-gloss because it could be tinted to the Regal Select Chantilly Lace flat that I just put on the walls and I could paint the wall inside the medicine cabinet with the Muralo as well. I would like to use oil based paint, but if it is going to go yellow it will be quite obvious against the Regal Select.

Do you or anyone else here think that Muralo Ultra would work over an oil enamel that is already on the shelves? They are not in bad shape, they just need a fresh coat of paint as everything else has been painted.

I was looking at a number of oil paints, but if they all will yellow, that would not be good. Perhaps I should ask this in a new thread?

futtyos

· Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Of course it will yellow if it is white or off white. Anything else will be fine.
Should be going with a vintage pastel, so that's cool. I've done urethane on my vehicles, and really liked it. Very durable. Done it on some wood furniture and had it perform acceptably too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.