Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here’s what I’ve been having a problem with, wanted to see if anyone else had it too. I shoot primer coats, no issues. Same as it ever was. First coat of color goes on (SW ProClassic) and I’m getting tiny bubbles in the paint instantly upon settling. I’ll put a picture here so y’all can see the situation. Anyone else having this problem? Have you figured out a solution?

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,392 Posts
What are you painting? How did you apply product. Which primer?A little back story would help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shooting SW Preprite over bare birch, maple, and poplar using a Graco X5 with a 311 tip. I’ve used this same setup for years and never had any issue. I just started having it when I got a new batch of primer and I am thinking that’s what it is, but I wanted to see if anyone else was having a similar issue.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Shooting SW Preprite over bare birch, maple, and poplar using a Graco X5 with a 311 tip. I’ve used this same setup for years and never had any issue. I just started having it when I got a new batch of primer and I am thinking that’s what it is, but I wanted to see if anyone else was having a similar issue.
solvent entrapment

how soon you are you recoating?

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,392 Posts
Looks like a classic case of Fish Eye to me. I'm thinking either surface or spray line contamination. Your still being allufe. Which line of ProClassic did you use? Did you dust/tack cloth your surface?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Some dude on Youtube had an issue using Proclassic with bubbling and fish eye. Personally since about 2016 I've had mediocre luck using Proclassic. It's just been very inconsistent in how it applied and at first I blamed humidity or the room being too hot, but after getting burnt too many times I swore off it.

This is the Youtube video in question.

This could possibly be an issue with the rheology modifier in the paint. This effects the elasticity in water based paints. This has been an issue a few times at the Sherwin plant I work at. Usually it is caught by our QC dept. and corrected before filled. Sorry had this issue.
Comment from an anonymous factory worker in the video. I've heard more anonymous SW factory workers speak up about mistakes or problems too, but not specifically with Proclassic.

I'm probably one of the most Sherwin supporting people on this board, but they do have QC issues, that seem to come up more often on trim/become more apparent on trim. BM isn't perfect but imo is usually more consistent batch to batch, which is really important on trim as trim takes the most time to do right compared to everything else on a paint job, and it's the part touched the most/etc. Unfortunately where I am now there's a monopoly on BM and the pricing is out of this world impractical but Advance will do you a lot better than Proclassic latex and still be pretty near in price.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ran into a similar problem a few years ago in Raleigh NC. SW got involved and claimed it was surface contaminates likely spread through the HVAC. Kept having the issue even with the AC off and cleaning / Solvent wiping before application.

Finally switched from SW Quick Dry to Zinnser Coverstain and immediately solved the problem. Finish was ProClassic Acrylic.

Try a different primer with same prep and see if it solves the issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you notice the bubbles popping soon after application, they usually go away on their own without leaving craters. If not, adjust your paint, roller or technique to minimize bubbling. Painting in high heat tends to speed up drying, so paint bubbles don't have a chance to pop before they dry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts