Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im considering using Ace Royal paint as it is considerably less expensive compared to benjamin moore, SW etc. i know ill have to apply 2 coats but for the price,( which is about 35 % of benjamin moores Aura) is this paint worth a shot. its priced at 19 a gallon at my local ACE store so its kinda hard to pas up

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Used it once at customer request. After 5 or 6 months they were trying to wipe off marks on the wall and the paint COLOR actually came off onto the sponge/rag. It didn't seem to change the color on the wall too much although you could see where it was rubbed. Just didn't like that aspect of it.

·
Born 2 Paint
5,021 Posts

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
I used it in my own home to cover some butt ugly paneling - it was baby poop yellow. It covered OK, applied OK, adhered OK.

Last summer when I finally re-did that room, I wanted to tighten the paneling, mud the seams, and hang a commercial grade vinyl over it. When I tested the ACE Royal flat for adhesion, it did NOT pass. Fortunate part is that it scraped off the paneling easily enough with a blade.

I'd give it a C-

·
Almost Gone
10,730 Posts
I used it in my own home to cover some butt ugly paneling - it was baby poop yellow. It covered OK, applied OK, adhered OK.

Last summer when I finally re-did that room, I wanted to tighten the paneling, mud the seams, and hang a commercial grade vinyl over it. When I tested the ACE Royal flat for adhesion, it did NOT pass. Fortunate part is that it scraped off the paneling easily enough with a blade.

I'd give it a C-
Paneling needs some prep first. I usually prime paneling, after sanding.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Paneling needs some prep first. I usually prime paneling, after sanding.
NOW you tell me :whistling2:

Yah, I know. this was a REAL quick and dirty - temporary cover up.

But this was not the regular paneling printed on the hard beaver board type of substrate. The material was more like a soft, porous fiber-board. I thought there was a chance of better adhesion.

Once all the ACE was scraped off, I coated with XIM X-Prime. After a couple days drying, it was BONDED.

·
Almost Gone
10,730 Posts
NOW you tell me :whistling2:

Yah, I know. this was a REAL quick and dirty - temporary cover up.

But this was not the regular paneling printed on the hard beaver board type of substrate. The material was more like a soft, porous fiber-board. I thought there was a chance of better adhesion.

Once all the ACE was scraped off, I coated with XIM X-Prime. After a couple days drying, it was BONDED.
So you primed after all?

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
So you primed after all?
Yes, when I was ready to make the final decorative decision.

When first coated with the ACE, I had just finished a total reno to the majority of the 1st floor living area. I had hopes of sometime going back to the studs and joists in this area, but my energy level lost the battle with the aging process in the last 15 or so years.

I wanted the wallpaper to stick, so yes, for a more permanent application, a suitable primer was necessary. No short cuts this time.

That's one of the small things I do like about working in my own home, I can take those short cuts and only blame myself. :thumbup:

I didn't catch if markandoo was planning to use a primer, or just two coats.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.