Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any suggestions?

I have mid-sized airless now (Titan 400), but would like to add a "tiny airless" that packs a punch (is there such a thing?) and I could throw in the back of the vehicle and maybe leave there. Can be considered semi-disposable.

How many PSI minimum to atomize most latex trim paint?

-For tiny projects (quart-to-gallon sized - which I do a lot of) - I have an HVLP, looking for a tiny airless.
-comes w/ 25-30' hose
-lightweight (around 20lbs), easy to set-up, and easy to clean.
-under $500 (flexible on price)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Are you thinking somewhere along the lines of those little Graco Pro Shots? Those are kind of Handy for doing exterior doors or other small areas.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you thinking somewhere along the lines of those little Graco Pro Shots? Those are kind of Handy for doing exterior doors or other small areas.
Not exactly, I have had several pro shots over the years...

similar concept, lightweight, portable sprayers, easy to clean up, good for small projects... looking for something ultra-compact, but more suited to fine-finish.

Something maybe like this size (20-25lbs, 25' hose):
71HWf2Q+jJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

ed655-1.jpg

·
Registered
287 Posts
Oh I gotcha. Havent had one of those. That little titan 1700 looks pretty sweet. Haven't seen that before. Know what you mean though, i get these little bookcase or shiplap jobs and the hardest part is carrying around and cleaning the 440

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I gotcha. Havent had one of those. That little titan 1700 looks pretty sweet. Haven't seen that before. Know what you mean though, i get these little bookcase or shiplap jobs and the hardest part is carrying around and cleaning the 440
The 1700 only has 1500 psi, but the size is perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seriously looking at the ED65 anyone have any experience with them?
Wonder if they would fit the bill?

Not sure what a diaphragm pump is.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Here I am, with my two Titan 840s, wondering if a 440 would be too small or not....
Lol all relative right? Tell ya what though I'm a one machine, mostly residential repaint operation and that little 440 really is the perfect machine. Do wish I had a bigger pump for NC Interiors, but we only do 1 or 2 of those a year.

·
Registered
287 Posts

I know on some of the cabinet threads I've heard a couple proponents of those machines, haven't tried one myself though either.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor
2,253 Posts

@MikeCalifornia would probably be able to offer quite a bit of insight, since he has the ED655. I have the Graco GX 19, but if I had a choice between that and the ED 655, I'd choose the ED 655. Most airless sprayers we use are piston driven. The ED 655 uses a diaphragm, which I would expect to produce at least a slightly more even spray pattern at lower pressures. I have 4 diaphragm pumps that I use for roof cleaning, but the principles are the same no matter what you're spraying.

I equate the little GX 19 piston pump to a siphon feed gun...it can work, but requires more pressure to overcome the fact that the paint must be sucked up through a tube before reaching the pump.
The diaphragm pump on the ED 655 would be more like a gravity feed gun, requires less pressure due to paint being top fed and assisted by gravity.

The 1 and only drawback of the ED 655 is that it is always "on" when you turn it on. An easy work-around is to use a Christmas Light Remote Control plugged into the wall and the sprayer plugged into that. Allows you to turn it off/on with the click of a button. (Started using those remotes when I first began with turbines for the same reason...always "on").

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@MikeCalifornia would probably be able to offer quite a bit of insight, since he has the ED655. I have the Graco GX 19, but if I had a choice between that and the ED 655, I'd choose the ED 655. Most airless sprayers we use are piston driven. The ED 655 uses a diaphragm, which I would expect to produce at least a slightly more even spray pattern at lower pressures. I have 4 diaphragm pumps that I use for roof cleaning, but the principles are the same no matter what you're spraying.

I equate the little GX 19 piston pump to a siphon feed gun...it can work, but requires more pressure to overcome the fact that the paint must be sucked up through a tube before reaching the pump.
The diaphragm pump on the ED 655 would be more like a gravity feed gun, requires less pressure due to paint being top fed and assisted by gravity.

The 1 and only drawback of the ED 655 is that it is always "on" when you turn it on. An easy work-around is to use a Christmas Light Remote Control plugged into the wall and the sprayer plugged into that. Allows you to turn it off/on with the click of a button. (Started using those remotes when I first began with turbines for the same reason...always "on").
Thank you, appreciate the response!

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
IMHO the ED655 is an awesome machine. It would be something light and compact, just spin off the hopper, to leave behind the seat. I usually run 25' of line. What I like about diaphram pumps is its always moving/fluttering so constant pressure to the gun is there, unlike a piston which will have to play catch up on the trigger pull and usually its a big burst from the get-go. I sprayed out some french doors this week with a 208 FFLP tip, white on the inside, red on the exterior side, lowsheen enamel finish. Came out super nice. The only thing is they are not the low price unit, they run about $650-700. Graco makes a similar unit, plus the x5 models, which may be less, but I think Graco sux. I do like the new blue guns though, such a nice light trigger pull.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,913 Posts
Another option are the handheld gracos. Kind of awkward, but very portable. Maybe good for a couple doors or a fireplace.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IMHO the ED655 is an awesome machine. It would be something light and compact, just spin off the hopper, to leave behind the seat. I usually run 25' of line. What I like about diaphram pumps is its always moving/fluttering so constant pressure to the gun is there, unlike a piston which will have to play catch up on the trigger pull and usually its a big burst from the get-go. I sprayed out some french doors this week with a 208 FFLP tip, white on the inside, red on the exterior side, lowsheen enamel finish. Came out super nice. The only thing is they are not the low price unit, they run about $650-700. Graco makes a similar unit, plus the x5 models, which may be less, but I think Graco sux. I do like the new blue guns though, such a nice light trigger pull.
Thank you @MikeCalifornia ,

Which hose are you running? 1/4” x 25’ by titan, or other?
Does it accept synergy ff tips?

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its blue, so a graco 25'. That's all stores seem to stock in 25'. Your gun will depend on what guard it will accept. Although anything, other than an old school silver gun will have a 7/8 diffuser on it nowadays.
Thank you. Worth asking to make sure it is not a one-off. I have quite a few titan tips.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Couple of things to be aware of with these smaller diaphragm pumps.
  • They will struggle with thick materials, So make sure you use a finish paint & primer that will work without issues.
  • They need to be kept immaculately clean. (They are super easy to clean though - just don't leave materials in them overnight)
  • ALWAYS run a cup of water or something through it first before filling the hopper with paint to find out that its not working and now you get to clean it to figure out why.
They get a lot of hate from people. But if you take care of it, keep it clean and learn how to use it, they are great for a lot of things. They setup really fast, and they are more efficient than a piston powered airless (Less Pressure so less material bounces off the surface and becomes overspray.) So less prep. Plus the they can produce as good or better finish as a larger airless.

Of course eventually you start looking at air powered Diaphragm pumps, [Link] and wondering if you could do enough production to warrant owning one...and maybe a spray booth...and a drying room...etc.

Just be careful it can be a really deep rabbit hole.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I just got a GX19 with a hopper and it's a gavity feed. There is no suction tube. I seen in the manual there are different models, although I have only seen them for sale with the hopper attached.

I am new to spraying so I can't tell it if it is good or not in comparison or how the finish is, as all the issues I have had in regards to that was me and my technique or process. However at 28lbs it's still heavier then I like. Clean up I thought would be a breeze but it seemed awkward. With the X7 I borrowed to do a fence I could hook the hose up to it and flush it out. The GX19 it appears you can't do that. Have to fill the hopper of with water and and run it thru the machine by the power of the machine. Seems like that is doing undo wear on the machine. Maybe someone can educate me if I'm missing something in the cleaning process in regards to this hopper unit.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts