Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor
2,401 Posts
I just got a GX19 with a hopper and it's a gavity feed. There is no suction tube. I seen in the manual there are different models, although I have only seen them for sale with the hopper attached.

I am new to spraying so I can't tell it if it is good or not in comparison or how the finish is, as all the issues I have had in regards to that was me and my technique or process. However at 28lbs it's still heavier then I like. Clean up I thought would be a breeze but it seemed awkward. With the X7 I borrowed to do a fence I could hook the hose up to it and flush it out. The GX19 it appears you can't do that. Have to fill the hopper of with water and and run it thru the machine by the power of the machine. Seems like that is doing undo wear on the machine. Maybe someone can educate me if I'm missing something in the cleaning process in regards to this hopper unit.
You're absolutely right about the GX 19 being more gravity fed. It was a poor example on my part. My GX 19 is the only piston pump I have that's hopper fed, so I should've equated airless piston pumps in general to that of a siphon feeds, requiring more pressures to overcome the suction as well as gravity. I could've used any other type of piston-driven airless as a much better example.

Not sure if the Graco Magnum Power Flush Kits would work on the GX 19 without some adapter, since I dont know what size the threads are, but it'd be very easy to make something work. Standard hose end ball valve, 3/4" would be my guess.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Not sure if the Graco Magnum Power Flush Kits would work on the GX 19 without some adapter, since I dont know what size the threads are, but it'd be very easy to make something work. Standard hose end ball valve, 3/4" would be my guess.
If this is what you are talking about, i don't think so. The thread pattern is different then I seen before. I'm looking at the where the hopper screws onto the machine.

The search also got me this, but not sure which end I would have to take off to use it

·
Super Moderator
2,401 Posts
If this is what you are talking about, i don't think so. The thread pattern is different then I seen before. I'm looking at the where the hopper screws onto the machine.

The search also got me this, but not sure which end I would have to take off to use it
Yes, I WAS referring to the first one, (screw-in ball valve type). As I said though, not sure of the thread size, so an adapter may be needed. Could need a Straight Pipe Thread-to-Garden Hose Adapter, or something similar. Easy enough to find the right adapter once you identify the threads for each though.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
@MikeCalifornia would probably be able to offer quite a bit of insight, since he has the ED655. I have the Graco GX 19, but if I had a choice between that and the ED 655, I'd choose the ED 655. Most airless sprayers we use are piston driven. The ED 655 uses a diaphragm, which I would expect to produce at least a slightly more even spray pattern at lower pressures. I have 4 diaphragm pumps that I use for roof cleaning, but the principles are the same no matter what you're spraying.

I equate the little GX 19 piston pump to a siphon feed gun...it can work, but requires more pressure to overcome the fact that the paint must be sucked up through a tube before reaching the pump.
The diaphragm pump on the ED 655 would be more like a gravity feed gun, requires less pressure due to paint being top fed and assisted by gravity.

The 1 and only drawback of the ED 655 is that it is always "on" when you turn it on. An easy work-around is to use a Christmas Light Remote Control plugged into the wall and the sprayer plugged into that. Allows you to turn it off/on with the click of a button. (Started using those remotes when I first began with turbines for the same reason...always "on").
@stelzerpaintinginc.,
The local store had access to both the ED655 and the GX19.

They both looked good (exactly what I was looking for!). Based on your comments and CaliMike's high praise, I ordered the ED655 (and the christmas light remote). Thx.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Couple of things to be aware of with these smaller diaphragm pumps.
  • They will struggle with thick materials, So make sure you use a finish paint & primer that will work without issues.
  • They need to be kept immaculately clean. (They are super easy to clean though - just don't leave materials in them overnight)
  • ALWAYS run a cup of water or something through it first before filling the hopper with paint to find out that its not working and now you get to clean it to figure out why.
They get a lot of hate from people. But if you take care of it, keep it clean and learn how to use it, they are great for a lot of things. They setup really fast, and they are more efficient than a piston powered airless (Less Pressure so less material bounces off the surface and becomes overspray.) So less prep. Plus the they can produce as good or better finish as a larger airless.

Of course eventually you start looking at air powered Diaphragm pumps, [Link] and wondering if you could do enough production to warrant owning one...and maybe a spray booth...and a drying room...etc.

Just be careful it can be a really deep rabbit hole.
Thx.

·
Super Moderator
2,401 Posts
@stelzerpaintinginc.,

They both looked good (exactly what I was looking for!). Based on your comments and CaliMike's high praise, I ordered the ED655 (and the christmas light remote). Thx.
That's awesome. Please post follow-ups after you've had a chance to play with it. I know @MikeCalifornia takes it a step further by pairing his ED 655 with a small compressor and G15 gun. With that combo, you could produce even finer fine finishes, but I have no doubt the ED 655 would do just fine with the gun & line it comes with.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
@stelzerpaintinginc.,

Good call. With your titan tips, its will be great. Let me know if you need any help.

The one thing I always do upon start up, before I dump paint in the hopper. Add a little water to the hopper, then stick a pen, screwdriver, it may come with a little plunger now, down the intake valve to unstick it. Start it up, increase pressure slightly, then trigger the water out. As it gets to the bottom, go ahead and put the round filter in, then fill with paint. Trigger back into your clean out bucket, until a little paint comes out, then trigger back into the hopper for a half minute or so, you may need to increase the pressure some depending on the thickness of paint. I have had no problem pumping all the normal enamels without ever thinning at all. A total of twice, did I just dump paint in and the intake was stuck. You will then have to put your hand in to remove the filter, then unstick the valve. Sucks!!

The other piece of advice, never use the prime valve, it is so unnecessary. Leave the prime tube and the little plastic thing off when you set it up, just make sure the prime valve is in the spray position and thank me later. A diaphram does not need to prime, unlike a piston. If you ever run the hopper dry on accident, just dump more paint in, then back the pressure off and trigger into the hopper till you get the air out.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thank you for your generous comments and suggestions.
*Ordered a 25’ hose at same time.

Pretty excited! Looking forward to learning how to use it. Can see it being very useful.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Man, you gotta come back with a review on this thing. I once had an old campbell-hausfield diaphragm rig, but I didn't really know what to do with it. It sounded like a hive of bees.

I'd surely like to ditch the HVLP turbines and get some simple device for certain scenarios. AAS is more than what I'd need for commercial work, and that's what I've been trending into more and more.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Man, you gotta come back with a review on this thing. I once had an old campbell-hausfield diaphragm rig, but I didn't really know what to do with it. It sounded like a hive of bees.

I'd surely like to ditch the HVLP turbines and get some simple device for certain scenarios. AAS is more than what I'd need for commercial work, and that's what I've been trending into more and more.
I'll definitely give feedback, but @MikeCalifornia would be the right person to do a proper review.
There is a shortage of information on the internet for the ed655.

·
Super Moderator
9,506 Posts
I have 3 gx19's running in my shop. So far, they have been great. It is nice having an airless that can actually utilize a quart if you want. I have never tried a diaphragm pump though. It sounds interesting too.

·
Administrator
21,503 Posts
I have 3 gx19's running in my shop. So far, they have been great. It is nice having an airless that can actually utilize a quart if you want. I have never tried a diaphragm pump though. It sounds interesting too.
My biggest beef with airless rigs (aside from being a PITA to clean) is that they can sometimes use more paint to get primed and ready for spraying than you will use to actually paint the object or surfaces in question.

Reactions: Holland

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
My biggest beef with airless rigs (aside from being a PITA to clean) is that they can sometimes use more paint to get primed and ready for spraying than you will use to actually paint the object or surfaces in question.
Exactly.
Hoping the Ed655 solves that (hopper and does not need priming from what I understand).

as DeanV said spraying a quart with an airless would be nice, but hoping closer to ease of HVLP cleanup.

Putting on a shorter hose too, maybe even a 1/8”x 15 footer maybe help with that issue.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Dean, Do you have to run them to flush out the paint while cleaning? How do you clean yours? I've only had to clean mine once so far and I'm trying to figure out the best way. I'm not a fan of running the pump, and aging the pump, to flush out the water.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Why not just use an HVLP?
I had a contract that lasted several years that specified SnapDry for trim and doors, so I learned what worked and didn’t work pretty well.

SnapDry is a good example of paint that is difficult to shoot through HVLP. The heated air caused the paint to dry too fast, and kept clogging the tip, uneven finish, etc... Ran it through an airless and it looked great and was easy to work with, but the airless is more work cleaning-up.

I do more small-scale jobs than bigger new-construction jobs, so I’m hopeful the Titan ED655 (similar to the little Graco GX19) will work well in that application.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Another option are the handheld gracos. Kind of awkward, but very portable. Maybe good for a couple doors or a fireplace.
View attachment 111511
I bought one of the very first Greco hand held units..around 2008. I was a pain to clean, deal with the insert bag and no variable spray. I gave it away. Thinking about the new DS 300, variable spray and good reviews...I had three Wagner sprayers in a production of a product that I did for 18 yrs. Retired now...but assuming for small projects this would work...( flamable material would require the top of the line) and $$$ more than the DS 360.

·
Super Moderator
9,506 Posts
I clean the GX19 like any other airless I own by using the pump to flush it with water. I have never owned one that you can hook up a garden hose to.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got one of the little graco's from home Depot I put it in a little black container with the yellow lid you get from costco I shoot cabinets with it works great, great for trim, struggles with high build primer but still gets it done. Simple to clean up, be nice to it, store it with paint thinner long term not coro check and you will be set for long time. Graco guy says they last about 50 gallons and he way wrong. . they are good little units.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts