Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been loyal to BM paints for many years for their quality but recently in the last few years I am having serious mood issues in the paint. Anyone else having these issues?

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
spellchecker issues on top of my mood issues with this paint. I’m pissed that the mould developed.
Mould spore need to be killed before re-painting. Not the paint's fault.
Mold is a living organism, and will come thought the paint film repeatedly until eradicated (mild solution of bleach and water about 1 part bleach to 10 parts water should do it).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mould spore need to be killed before re-painting. Not the paint's fault.
Mold is a living organism, and will come thought the paint film repeatedly until eradicated (mild solution of bleach and water about 1 part bleach to 10 parts water should do it).
New or old wood, and several instances. Never had this problem before. It is the paint so no more comments from BM representatives please.

·
Registered
777 Posts
It's probably not the paint/stain just existing conditions. As far as mold resistance, nothing beats Zinsser Perma-white. But that doesn't help if you're looking for an exterior stain :p

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
New or old wood, and several instances. Never had this problem before. It is the paint so no more comments from BM representatives please.
Lol, if you were on here at all you know I don’t even use BM paints.

It is precisely the reason painters need to pressure wash and treat for mildew prior to painting (aside from removing the dust film).

Mold thrives in moist, shady locations ( under large overhangs, sides of house shaded by trees, the north side of house, etc..). Mold can live on paint surfaces, and will come through if not removed prior to painting. You can add a mildewcide additive into the paint. That might help if you did not clean prior to painting (which you obviously didn’t).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Lol, if you were on here at all you know I don’t even use BM paints.

It is precisely the reason painters need to pressure wash and treat for mildew prior to painting (aside from removing the dust film).

Mold thrives in moist, shady locations ( under large overhangs, sides of house shaded by trees, the north side of house, etc..). Mold can live on paint surfaces, and will come through if not removed prior to painting. You can add a mildewcide additive into the paint. That might help if you did not clean prior to painting (which you obviously didn’t).
So true! I do a few houses by the lake here. And the shady sides of the million dollars cottages as the people call them or the “ Cabin” all 5,000 sg ft of it. Always has some sort of mould. And I see newbies arriving and slapping on a coat of paint or solid stain and then trying to blame it on the product the customer choose not the forgotten prep job,

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
On a slanted (high-arsed yet accurate) tangent, paint folks should fondly considered themselves "moisture whisperers".... especially when it comes to exteriors work

🤙

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Oh..and there is hard science stating:

Studies have found if one can incorporate
"i am a moisture whisperer" in the project preview time (looking at the job) there is a granted 10%-12% increase in profit.

Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts