1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
C2...$58 per gallon
Sikkens "DEK"...$70 per gallon

·
FT painter/FT dad
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eric, where you been slugger? huffin' that expensive paint in the lab again?

no seriously, I almost plopped a big load when I was picking up that Sikkens. It is an absolutely amazing stain. But really, how many HO's get excited about paying $70 a gallon? I have issues trying to sell $35/gallon paint :blink:

·
Rock On
2,451 Posts
The correct answer would be CHEAP PAINT because you have to do it again (labor and material).
Ha ha ha!!!
Funny because it's true!

:notworthy:

I'd have to say the Dutchlac is the most expensive I've used @ 149.98 an American gallon
Now, you'd think at those prices it'd only take a coat and it would spread itself...wrong
Takes two coats of it's almost as expensive primer (recommended from the manufacturer and you better believe it), then three coats minimum for the paint itself, all of it flowing like hot fudge...that's been in the freezer
So add in (3X pricier than paint store) thinner and a big bottle of Penetrol to top off the cost/labor
All adds up to one expensive paint...no matter how you slice it

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ha ha ha!!!
Funny because it's true!

:notworthy:

I'd have to say the Dutchlac is the most expensive I've used @ 149.98 an American gallon
Now, you'd think at those prices it'd only take a coat and it would spread itself...wrong
Takes two coats of it's almost as expensive primer (recommended from the manufacturer and you better believe it), then three coats minimum for the paint itself, all of it flowing like hot fudge...that's been in the freezer
So add in (3X pricier than paint store) thinner and a big bottle of Penetrol to top off the cost/labor
All adds up to one expensive paint...no matter how you slice it
So why would anyone use it?

·
Rock On
2,451 Posts
So why would anyone use it?
lol...
You don't so much as use it, as have people request it...lol...

It's marketed to rich homies that figure if it's the most expensive it must be the best
You figure labor at 6 coats of totally old school oil with intense prep in between coats and you are covered
You may not do 6 coats, but if you mess up any of them, there's no 'touch-up', it's a redo...and the stuff doesn't sand well...

I will say, there is nothing else like it
...available legally
...in fact I've heard it is illegal in some states
The finish is totally old school and miles deep

·
FT painter/FT dad
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will say, there is nothing else like it
...available legally
...in fact I've heard it is illegal in some states
The finish is totally old school and miles deep