Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15,691 Posts
The painting trade is not Prima Donna enough to merit the sophisticated fee category of "Surcharge". Instead, I would offer a "Premium" for extra labor charges for labor outside of the normal range of work. This would include the following:
1. Removing window coverings
2. Moving unusually large furniture
3. Removing valuables
4. Washing windows
5. Trimming hedges
6. Cleaning gutters
7. Cleaning existing paint from fixtures
8. Removing fixtures
9. Removing items for shop painting
10. Difficult access considerations (i.e. climbing atop a forty foot skylight to replace caulking)

·
Administrator
professional painting contractor - retired
22,080 Posts
The painting companies around here are so swamped with work (most booked into fall) that none of them would consider doing any of those items on that list not specifically linked to the painting they have been hired to do.
Tried to contact a few outfits concerning some interior work a long time customer needs done and none of them were willing to even meet with her and give a bid until next October. It’s crazy.

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
The painting companies around here are so swamped with work (most booked into fall) that none of them would consider doing any of those items on that list not specifically linked to the painting they have been hired to do.
Tried to contact a few outfits concerning some interior work a long time customer needs done and none of them were willing to even meet with her and give a bid until next October. It’s crazy.
I've been mentally trying to prepare myself for this season. I think it's going to be a challenging and demanding season. I had to change my voicemail to say we are no longer accepting new work, because of unusually high demand; I've never done that before.

Can't help but think: "what goes up must come down" and "make it and bank it while you can".

·
Registered
Journeyman Painting Contractor
25 Posts
Typically I won't charge and in fact if they want me to paint it, then they move the furniture themselves. However, I typically don't mind moving it, not a big deal, especially for older folks who obviously can't; then I will move it but I typically don't charge for stuff like that.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Time and materials. Estimate your total time (including moving furniture) and add the cost of materials.

Establish what your time is worth (hourly rate) add an appropriate markup on materials (30% to 50%) and you have your selling price. If you have employees, you have to figure what their time is worth (generally less than the business owner's time).

Surcharge is a way to modify existing pricing structures without doing the calculations. If you have a fixed price for a certain size room, then surcharges are another way to price this out.

I'm in the cabinet building business, so it is probably easier for me to price out my paint work than an actual painter who faces radically different types of work, but it all boils down to understanding your costs in terms of Time and Materials.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey all, working on a project...a furnished two bedroom apartment. I understand moving furniture is part of our job and everything but I was wondering if anybody charges their customers for moving furniture so the space can be painted. My current project has four wall to ceiling bookcases and short of removing all the books, those cases are "in place."

What got me thinking about this was we just had our floors done, and the floor company said, "if we have to move your furniture we're going to add a surcharge but if you do the moving no surcharge."

Got me thinking it might not be such a bad idea. I do mostly apartments, and to be honest, unfurnished apartments are a pleasure to paint.

Does anybody add a surcharge for moving furniture?

Steve
First question I ask is: Who's moving all this? Us? Or, you?

Then I explain: I have to pay (2) people, $30/hour to move all this. That's $60/hour to move stuff.

It's AMAZING how much stuff disappears by the client moving it! Once they learn its not FREE, many do it themselves. I explain, we're painters, that's what we do. If you'd LIKE, we will provide that service for you. But I have to pay my guys. I don't make any money on it. I pay all taxes, insurances, etc, etc, and I about break even. So it's TOTALLY up to you. Then I make a rough estimate of how long it should take 2 guys.

I make money and my living, PAINTING. I DONT make money moving stuff or providing services for FREE. It's just that simple. And I feel it as a personal responsibility to remain in business for my employees. They depend on their paychecks. So do I.

Just sayin'

Peter
Dresden Group, LLC
Dresden, ME 04342

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all, working on a project...a furnished two bedroom apartment. I understand moving furniture is part of our job and everything but I was wondering if anybody charges their customers for moving furniture so the space can be painted. My current project has four wall to ceiling bookcases and short of removing all the books, those cases are "in place." What got me thinking about this was we just had our floors done, and the floor company said, "if we have to move your furniture we're going to add a surcharge but if you do the moving no surcharge." Got me thinking it might not be such a bad idea. I do mostly apartments, and to be honest, unfurnished apartments are a pleasure to paint. Does anybody add a surcharge for moving furniture? Steve
Yes Steve we do cause that takes time out of what we are suppose to be doing witch is painting. This is a huge issue a lot of times cause people say there gonna move it and don’t we get there after contracts done signed. Lillie.LLC
Hey all, working on a project...a furnished two bedroom apartment. I understand moving furniture is part of our job and everything but I was wondering if anybody charges their customers for moving furniture so the space can be painted. My current project has four wall to ceiling bookcases and short of removing all the books, those cases are "in place." What got me thinking about this was we just had our floors done, and the floor company said, "if we have to move your furniture we're going to add a surcharge but if you do the moving no surcharge." Got me thinking it might not be such a bad idea. I do mostly apartments, and to be honest, unfurnished apartments are a pleasure to paint. Does anybody add a surcharge for moving furniture? Steve

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,988 Posts
Yes Steve we do cause that takes time out of what we are suppose to be doing witch is painting. This is a huge issue a lot of times cause people say there gonna move it and don’t we get there after contracts done signed. Lillie.LLC
Yawn. Year old thread Lillie. Tell us about yourself..

21 - 32 of 32 Posts