Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve painted the exterior trim on my house twice and both times it has failed after a year or two. The primer is Bulls Eye 123. Some areas I used Zinsser Peel Stop Triple Thick instead of the Bulls Eye.

The Paint is Sherwin Williams Emerald exterior latex. The paint chips coming off are exposing bare wood and white on the underside so it looks like the primer is failing, but I’m not sure why. I’m not 100% positive but it seems like the areas that I used the Bulls Eye are failing, the Peel Stop areas don’t seem to have any issues. Some of this was older wood but I scraped off the old paint and sanded to good wood before priming. Some of it was new wood. The areas that I used Peel Stop were in worse shape, but like I said they seem to be holding up fine. This is on the south side of the house and I think the windows above this trim do reflect a lot of heat, the east side right around the corner seems to be holding up fine.

I’m thinking about redoing everything that’s peeling with Peel Stop, but I wanted to hear from the pros first as to why this may be happening and if this is the best solution. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
722 Posts
I’ve painted the exterior trim on my house twice and both times it has failed after a year or two. The primer is Bulls Eye 123. Some areas I used Zinsser Peel Stop Triple Thick instead of the Bulls Eye.

The Paint is Sherwin Williams Emerald exterior latex. The paint chips coming off are exposing bare wood and white on the underside so it looks like the primer is failing, but I’m not sure why. I’m not 100% positive but it seems like the areas that I used the Bulls Eye are failing, the Peel Stop areas don’t seem to have any issues. Some of this was older wood but I scraped off the old paint and sanded to good wood before priming. Some of it was new wood. The areas that I used Peel Stop were in worse shape, but like I said they seem to be holding up fine. This is on the south side of the house and I think the windows above this trim do reflect a lot of heat, the east side right around the corner seems to be holding up fine.

I’m thinking about redoing everything that’s peeling with Peel Stop, but I wanted to hear from the pros first as to why this may be happening and if this is the best solution. Thanks for your input!
I like oil-based primers on exterior raw wood- use cover stain instead.

scrape, prime, paint x2 coats..

Make sure you are scraping well enough before priming:
get a good 2” carbide scraper, as well as a 3” flat scraper. Any loose paint will eventually fall off on its own.

·
Administrator
19,660 Posts
PaintTalk.com is designed for professional painting contractors and the related fields to discuss issues and topics pertaining to the painting industries. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assisting you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com. If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to Register.

This thread is now closed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.