Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, tell me what you think....

I turned 40 this year. I finally got my Education degree from University as of last month. I have a double major, my first is in Industrial Arts, I am trained to teach middle or high school "shops" (metals, woods, automotive, graphic arts, photography...that sort of thing) My other teachable major is Geography. This degree cost me a small fortune!

The teaching job market is bleak at the moment.

I've had my business 6 years.

I admit I don't feel I have a 'true' business as I haven't had to work full time all year. Currently I have work until the first week of September as I was wondering if I should book further in case I get a teaching job, but at this point I doubt I'll get one for the Sept.

I really enjoy being self-employeed and so far the money has been good. (I netted just over 8k this month) I fully acknowledge that going at this full time is a different ball game that what I'm doing. (winter can have it perils)

...and so I'm at the cusp of 'what to do next year'. Put teaching on the back burner and invest in some advertising and 'go for painting/building'? OR keep this paint biz light and risk not making enough money to pay the mortgage and hope for a teaching job to pop up?

In the long run I want to be a teacher. (lifestyle, security, job) At the moment I can make more money painting. First year teacher makes 52K, with 9 years of experience it's 77K, based on 178 days of work.

I have some 'catch up' to do on debt so I'm inclined to paint, but the sooner I get teaching the better my pension.

Ultimately I guess my debate with myself is how much energy should I invest in this painting business?

I kind of have a 'game plan', but am open to hear what some of you think.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Tough decision, I feel like both require a full time endeavor. Funny, I have worked in schools for a long time and never met a teacher/painter!

"In the long run I want to be a teacher. (lifestyle, security, job) At the moment I can make more money painting. First year teacher makes 52K, with 9 years of experience it's 77K, based on 178 days of work. "

Where is your "heart", what are the reasons you decided on it?
It takes a special breed to be a teacher and enjoy it. If you love the independence of being self employed, then the bureaucracy of the education system might have you chafing.

·
Premium Member
14,974 Posts
PH,

Begin investing 100% now into what has the most promise for you and your family in the long run. Time catches up pretty quick. Don't waste it.

You may feel like you have the energy to run a painting business, but if your solo, the physical stresses of this trade will take it's toll on you before you know it. Also, your focus should be targeted towards your real interest, which appears to be teaching, otherwise you risk NOT being at your ultimate effectiveness in either endeavor.

Good Luck

·
Handle with care
226 Posts
Sounds like quite a dilema you have there! Hope you don't mind...I've pared your OP down to main ideas for clarity.

Well guys, tell me what you think....

I turned 40 this year.

This degree cost me a small fortune!

The teaching job market is bleak at the moment.

I've had my business 6 years.

I was wondering if I should book further in case I get a teaching job, but at this point I doubt I'll get one for the Sept.

I really enjoy being self-employeed and so far the money has been good.

In the long run I want to be a teacher, (lifestyle, security, job).

I have some 'catch up' to do on debt so I'm inclined to paint, but the sooner I get teaching the better my pension.

Ultimately I guess my debate with myself is how much energy should I invest in this painting business?
Before I started my business I was an operations executive for a large corporation, nine to fiver, M - F with good pay, benefits, pension plan, 8 weeks vacay, all kinds of great perks.

I thought I really enjoyed what I was doing until the company restructured and my position was eliminated from the grid. It was only then when I didn't have to deal with all the politics and corporate you-know-what anymore that I realized I was actually miserable there. My wife and kids told me they hadn't seen me so happy for a long time.

Point is that "success" is more about doing what you love and loving what you do than bringing home a good paycheque. I'm not making near as much $ today as I was at the big corporation, but I'm happier, healthier and looking forward to each day than I ever was there!

Your situation sounds like you may be able to do both as straight lines has suggested. If teaching in September isn't a sure thing then keep painting for another year. Time has a way of sorting out uncertainties.

Best of luck to you!

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I miss the $$, paid trips to Winnipeg (ha ha, but seriously) and freedom (yes I had more freedom, more money and more time off getting a pay cheque M-F) from my other career(s), but at the end of the day, I could not imagine working for anyone else.

Thanks to PT, my business has grown in size and revenue by "lurking", listening and participating. I just realized lately that I am following my dream of owning a successful business, becoming President (of our Kinsmen Club) and Chairman (for a Non Profit Board of Directors). I may as well run for Mayor next! And... I have done this in a Province and town I have never lived in before and in just over 3 years!

Busy - Hell Yes! And my business is booming and booking jobs to December!

My long winded and self indulging point.......follow your dream.... it took me 39 years to figure it out..... I turn 40 in January.

Hope this makes sense tonight.... had a few "toddies" after work with one of the new friends I have met since taking on all these rolls!

Cheers!

PS. YOU WILL GET 2 WEEKS AT XMAS, A WEEK IN THE SPRING and THE WHOLE FRICKEN SUMMER OFF! Even if you have to move to Virden, or Churchill, MB Teaching is not a bad gig at all!

·
Registered
591 Posts
My wife is a teacher she makes about 65k a year not bad. They had over 50 lay offs in Quincy (thats the town she teaches in) Thank god she dident get layed off, she has her 10 year pro status. Nothing is guarenteed especially now a days. I would try painting full time for a few years and if it does not work at least you have something to fall back on.

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
(RCP - So Chris, what happens with "strike 3"?)

Go for the teaching position. At least at your age and with your life's experiences, you'll have some idea what you're talking about...unlike some 21yo fresh out of high school and college.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the excellent input.....(big thanks button)

I 'will' be a teacher someday....guess the question is...when? I'm mostly debating how much I should invest in my biz in the short term.

To answer the question of "where is your heart", "follow your dream" is difficult to answer. It's not apples and apples. Both are intriguing for different reasons.

My passion for teaching (Industrial Arts) come from strong belief that todays youth have a need to learn manual skills, working with their hands. IA lends itself to creativity which promotes problem solving....another important skill. Can be made into a very cool job.

Business is more of a person challenge, intriguing in more selfish ways. It's been a positive experience for me so far. I'm an optimist at heart and wonder how far I could take this. For some unexplainable reason I've never gotten sick of painting. I enjoy the marathon of a big project and am motivated to finish.

Anyway...thanks again. It's Canada Day, I finished a house yesterday, check in hand, so off to the cabin for the weekend for boating and beer....have a great weekend!

Didn't have anything to do with the colours....it was in poor poor shape.
Primer 1-2-3
Aura Low Luster

·
Almost Gone
10,730 Posts
Thanks for all the excellent input.....(big thanks button)

I 'will' be a teacher someday....guess the question is...when? I'm mostly debating how much I should invest in my biz in the short term.

To answer the question of "where is your heart", "follow your dream" is difficult to answer. It's not apples and apples. Both are intriguing for different reasons.

My passion for teaching (Industrial Arts) come from strong belief that todays youth have a need to learn manual skills, working with their hands. IA lends itself to creativity which promotes problem solving....another important skill. Can be made into a very cool job.

Business is more of a person challenge, intriguing in more selfish ways. It's been a positive experience for me so far. I'm an optimist at heart and wonder how far I could take this. For some unexplainable reason I've never gotten sick of painting. I enjoy the marathon of a big project and am motivated to finish.

Anyway...thanks again. It's Canada Day, I finished a house yesterday, check in hand, so off to the cabin for the weekend for boating and beer....have a great weekend!

Didn't have anything to do with the colours....it was in poor poor shape.
Primer 1-2-3
Aura Low Luster

very nice before and after pics. would be well served in a portfolio. I'm not trying to take away the wind in your sails but, sometimes when something is new, it has a feeling of excitement. I'm not saying this is a bad move for you or trying to tell you not to do painting. Peace.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts