Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Let's do some paintin'
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year to all, may you all have a prosperous 2011.

Okay, on the 15 of Dec. I was hosting my site with Fatcow.com. I never backed up my site once, never even thought of doing it. Stupid on my part.

I was running Joomla for my site, and my customers had complained to me that the loading time for my site was really slow.
I noticed before when I would create a new article or switch out a module.
So I decided to change over to GoDaddy, created a new Joomla install.
That is when the problem hit me. I never backed up mySQL and I was in trouble.
All of the previous articles, images, blogs, and etc went down the drain.
What an idiotic move.
Well once I got the new site up and running, I realized all of the pages which were indexed by Yahoo and Google are now getting crawl errors.
There are 389 crawl errors from Google Webmaster Tools alone!
I had to submit a new sitemap, delete urls, and create a new robot file to block Google and Yahoo from visiting those pages.

So my message for all of you guys - don't be an idiot like me!
Always backup your database, webpages, or whatever!
It becomes a mess with your site.

By the way have a look at my new layout..... :yes:
http://www.colorboxpainting.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,097 Posts
Couple of things you can try.

- See if you can get something from the old host. They may have an image on file.
- Use cached info from Google or http://www.archive.org/web/web.php to rebuild your articles.
 

·
Almost Gone
Joined
·
10,730 Posts
I tried your website and got a load error. Just kidding. Looks good.

But seriously, it seems to take awhile to fully load up.
 

·
Let's do some paintin'
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the response, but since I have literally put everything back one by one there is no use for previous content.
Personally, the previous setup was too much for clients to handle. Google translate and Joomfish was a bit too much. Once you create translation files for every language in all articles it really bogs down your site.
Not only are you creating new folders like: en, es, it, kr, ru, and so on.
I trimmed down the site a bit, it is a painting contractors website!
On my end the site tends to load pretty quick, tried with with my iphone, and other computers.
Just in case I have applied Gzip Compression to see if that will help.

Thanks for all of the replies! Getting feedback from other painters is awesome!

On this fine Tuesday, just a heads up, per TJ Paints advise I changed my layout again. I think this is much faster, cleaner, and less error codes on W3C.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top