Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to try this again but on another segment of the forum, seems like jokes and slogans are quite popular.

Hi everyone,
I have been developing a self-concealing finish nail for carpentry that eliminates the need to fill nail holes and I would like to get all of your thoughts and feedback about the concept of the product and where you see it most applicable. We have a patented nail design that encapsulates the head of the nail in a polymer so when the nail is driven flush into the wood all that is needed is a light sand and then it is ready to be painted. For more info and background on the product go to http://www.khameleonnails.com/ or go to http://www.facebook.com/KhameleonNails on Facebook. Look forward to hearing from you all, all feedback is welcome.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Start by finding a carpenter that can acually get the nail head into the wood! Seems my nail punch & hammer is my busiest tools these days. Rant over & all the best in your endeavours.

·
very senior member
9,848 Posts
Start by finding a carpenter that can acually get the nail head into the wood! Seems my nail punch & hammer is my busiest tools these days. Rant over & all the best in your endeavours.

I'm with you there:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
9,502 Posts
For exterior, I can see it working. For interior stained trim, almost a guaranteed fail or color matching. If it can match the raw wood color and take stain, and not spread to any pores around the nail hole when sanded, en it would work for interior stained trim. Otherwise not.

For interior painted trim, it would need to produce a perfectly filled nail hole when sanded. Most painters do not manage that, so I have a hard time seeing this work. I am sure flashing can be solved through a second coat or a prime coat.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
SHYT! Find me a carpenter who can CONSISTENTLY hit the nail on the head.

I'm sick of hammer dimples.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Azek comp

Here are some samples that I made up using AZEK Dean. We have three current prototypes, the black headed one being the best, and I have to say it accomplishes what we are after, a perfectly cylindrical head that is flush when sanded. These where hand driven with a jigg we have made up to aid the drive of the nail and to achieve consistency. Flashing isn't a problem with a couple of coats of paint, bet if you are EXTREMELY picky and look at different angles and light, you could find the nail. Otherwise I would say it 99% successful of achieving what we want to accomplish.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Try a spring loaded nail punch.they work great and easy to manuver.;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got one. Use it. But they don't put putty in the hole unless you have something I don't.

·
Registered
6 Posts
most guys don't set thier gun deep enough and they for some reason can't figure out how to nail along the bottoms and in corners. I'm guessing those are the problem spots. it's a shamefull day if the painters that follow me are punching in nails.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Most likely not, especially FN strip nails, but hopefully we can be in the ballpark of Da style nails like Senco's and Porter Cables 15 ga nails. As far as the exterior siding and trim market goes I believe the market is wide open and that we may be able to produce a product that will be cheaper than stainless collated ring shanks or screw n plug fasteners for AZEK, because both of these products are; a. very expensive, and b. have there issues which our nail design addresses specifically. That being it will save the contractor a lot of time upon application, and they do care, especially since a there are more GC's wearing tool belts again. And furthermore, it delivers afar superior product to the customer in the end. Check out the pictures I have posted on facebook, a million dollar house that has bunged up AZEK plugs and already rusting nail heads on cedar siding that looks marginal at best. People will pay for a superior product especially if there is a significant labor savings, or at least I am hopeful they will!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
tanman said:
Here are some samples that I made up using AZEK Dean. We have three current prototypes, the black headed one being the best, and I have to say it accomplishes what we are after, a perfectly cylindrical head that is flush when sanded. These where hand driven with a jigg we have made up to aid the drive of the nail and to achieve consistency. Flashing isn't a problem with a couple of coats of paint, bet if you are EXTREMELY picky and look at different angles and light, you could find the nail. Otherwise I would say it 99% successful of achieving what we want to accomplish.
Can you do some samples of a few different type of interior and exterior nail drives.

Then take some pics of after nailing, priming, painting, staining and clear coating these 2 that you took are good but how about some paint on them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts