Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm finding everyone has a different opinion doing 9 ft walls. I have 2 questions.
if I go from 11 mm 13 mm or even 15 mm to hold more paint will the finished texture look different on the wall surface or still be the same ??
I figured with the 15 mm it'll hold more paint and less going back into the tray to get more...
What do you guys use for walls?

Thx

· Registered
2,389 Posts
It mainly depends on the product and smoothness of the surface you have. Smooth walls with little to no texture will exhibit the most variation in nap length. The more nap, the depth of peaks and valleys will be increased. The product and how it levels during the drying process will greatly determine how those peaks and valleys are minimized. It's hard for me to say what to use, as we have all textured walls on the west coast, skip trowel, light spray texture, splatter, to knockdown being heaviest. Textured walls really don't show a big difference on nap. I use mainly 1/2 to 3/4". Then the nap composure itself will lend to a unique texture pattern. I have never been a fan of white dove type rollers, a lot of people love them, but the texture pattern is inconsistant from up stroke to down stroke. I prefer microfiber for eggshell and up. Poly for flats and mattes.

· Premium Member
2,772 Posts
I'm finding everyone has a different opinion doing 9 ft walls. I have 2 questions.
if I go from 11 mm 13 mm or even 15 mm to hold more paint will the finished texture look different on the wall surface or still be the same ??
I figured with the 15 mm it'll hold more paint and less going back into the tray to get more...

Thx
Assuming that all things are equal, and the walls are painted maintaining a wet edge throughout, one would assume that “taller nap=more texture” and “shorter nap=less texture”. In theory this is true, but I have not found it to be true in practice.

There are other considerations…

I find that nap material makes a difference in outcome, also qualities of the paint used (does it level out as it dries, does it dry fast, does it dry slow, etc…) for example, Low-VOC paints tend to leave more texture than a non-green paint, using the same setup.

*we use 1/2” for most interior walls.

· Registered
1,559 Posts

Thx
Nap size is only one variable.

We have no idea if you know what you're doing. Are you just some DIY weekender guy? Or a professional? If pro then something about you depth / breadth / length of experience is nice to know.

It's easier to help people who have been here first: New Member Introductions

· Administrator
professional painting contractor - retired
22,342 Posts
I ALWAYS used 3/4” nap covers for walls and ceilings. But out here we exist in the land of textured surfaces so…

1 - 7 of 7 Posts