Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wanted to know what naps you guys use. Ive been using Wooster but been thinking of using something else to compare. Any suggestions.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
I use wooster covers often.Here recently I have taken a liking to the new Shurfine microfiber 3/8's.I was amazed by its performance.Leaves like a mirror finish on skimcoated walls.So impressed I stocked up on them.

·
Delco, Pa
1,176 Posts
Super Fab, 50/50, or Colossus. Depends on what store I am at when I need them. Colossus holds more paint and easier to clean but I would go with the 50/50 if I had to choose.

·
Banned
5,000 Posts
I like purdy white dove.... Like how they look too all white an clean an what not .... Yellow rollers remind me off.... Well you know

(Self edited my post cause I'm thoughtful like that)

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
I know alot of painters use 1/2 nap on smooth walls and ceilings but I just cant get myself to try them.To much texture look for me.:eek:On knockdown and orange peel like textures I can see where they would have their place,

·
Banned
5,000 Posts
mudbone said:
I know alot of painters use 1/2 nap on smooth walls and ceilings but I just cant get myself to try them.To much texture look for me.:eek:On knockdown and orange peel like textures I can see where they would have their place,
I use 1/2" for flat paint An 3/8 for enamels..... Never really noticed the texture cause I grew up with it

·
Awesome Member
25 Posts
Just picked up a box of 24 - 3 packs of Simms Professional 3/8" for cheap at an auction a couple weeks ago. They're nice micro fibre rollers and i dont have to feel bad throwing one out after just rolling a couple doors with it.

I dont have much brand loyalty though when it comes to rollers. Most of the stuff off the shelf at SW is good, even their contractor packs are decent quality.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I was originally taught that 1/2" and 3/4" covers were for textured surfaces, because they leave too much stipple on flat surfaces. That is total BS. Larger naps hold more paint, and due to the same weave pattern as smaller diameter naps, they leave the same finish when used by a pro. More paint, less dipping, more production.

I work in New England. Textured walls barely exist here, smooth is the norm. I have not bought a 3/8" nap in 5 years. I think they are production killers. Maybe, just maybe, on a level 5 I would use something like a 3/8, or smaller :blink:, but I bet I could use any high quality 1/2" nap and make it perfect.

Arroworthy make nice covers, as do Wooster.

·
Painting Contractor
4,066 Posts
Wooster polar bears are my go to naps. They clean up super easy, and hold a lot of paint. Similar to the lambs wool naps from the "old days". If we're doing really smooth stuff like in a bathroom or something with higher sheen ill use a 3/8 white dove, or the 5/16 microfiber. Those are really nice.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Anyone else use the Purdy Golden Eagle? 98% of what i do is knockdown ceilings and orange peel walls, so I use the 3/4. Rolled out some nice walls with it. Finally maning up while I have my youth and getting an 18" so I'll have to preorder that stuff.

·
very senior member
9,848 Posts
I was originally taught that 1/2" and 3/4" covers were for textured surfaces, because they leave too much stipple on flat surfaces. That is total BS. Larger naps hold more paint, and due to the same weave pattern as smaller diameter naps, they leave the same finish when used by a pro. More paint, less dipping, more production.

I work in New England. Textured walls barely exist here, smooth is the norm. I have not bought a 3/8" nap in 5 years. I think they are production killers. Maybe, just maybe, on a level 5 I would use something like a 3/8, or smaller :blink:, but I bet I could use any high quality 1/2" nap and make it perfect.

Arroworthy make nice covers, as do Wooster.
Personally, I do not think I have ever used a 3/8, maybe for some bi-fold doors many years ago. !/2 or for the most part 3/4 wooster 50-50

1 - 20 of 63 Posts