Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
I was originally taught that 1/2" and 3/4" covers were for textured surfaces, because they leave too much stipple on flat surfaces. That is total BS. Larger naps hold more paint, and due to the same weave pattern as smaller diameter naps, they leave the same finish when used by a pro. More paint, less dipping, more production.

I work in New England. Textured walls barely exist here, smooth is the norm. I have not bought a 3/8" nap in 5 years. I think they are production killers. Maybe, just maybe, on a level 5 I would use something like a 3/8, or smaller :blink:, but I bet I could use any high quality 1/2" nap and make it perfect.

Arroworthy make nice covers, as do Wooster.
No offense but you need to have your eyes checked.I can walked into a room and spot right away stipple and the difference between the two on smooth walls.Dont kid yourself Kdpaint.:whistling2:

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Only way to get "smooth" from my understanding is spraying. Unless you use some sort of good leveling paint like Pro Classic or something.

As for naps, Purdy White Dove 9" 1/2" or 3/4".

Good for production: Wooster 18" 3/4. You can fly through walls/ceilings pretty easy.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
No offense but you need to have your eyes checked.I can walked into a room and spot right away stipple and the difference between the two on smooth walls.Dont kid yourself Kdpaint.:whistling2:
20/20 eyesight my friend. Plenty of painters leave excess stipple with 3/8" naps. In the hands of a good painter and good equipment, I stand behind what I said. On a level 5 ( and honestly, people talk about them a lot, but they are few and far between here) somebody MIGHT be able to tell the difference, and if they were eyeballing for a mirror finish, I MIGHT lay each wall off with a smaller nap after I rolled it with a 1/2".

The weave is the same on 3/8 and 1/2" naps. There is no reason other than operator error or cheap naps to have excess stipple.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I've heard people say here on PT theres no difference between 3/8 and 1/2 but I can tell, especially on new drywall. Maybe I'm just not good enough :)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
kdpaint said:
On a level 5 ( and honestly, people talk about them a lot, but they are few and far between here)

If you sleep with your favorite angle knife under your pillow the level 5 fairy will visit you.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I archive each and every one adding a detailed history of what it did and how I felt about it. Then, I posted results on PT.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Wooster polar bears are my go to naps. They clean up super easy, and hold a lot of paint. Similar to the lambs wool naps from the "old days". If we're doing really smooth stuff like in a bathroom or something with higher sheen ill use a 3/8 white dove, or the 5/16 microfiber. Those are really nice.
I like the 5/16 for metal doors. Not very good pictures but check out the size of these doors!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Do any of you guys remember 3/4" piles instead of naps? They were a lot denser and left one of the nicest finish ever.

I was going through an old box of tools and found a few. I bet they are 15 years old. Phenolic core and all:)

The one in the middle is a 3/4" pile from SW.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
20/20 eyesight my friend. Plenty of painters leave excess stipple with 3/8" naps. In the hands of a good painter and good equipment, I stand behind what I said. On a level 5 ( and honestly, people talk about them a lot, but they are few and far between here) somebody MIGHT be able to tell the difference, and if they were eyeballing for a mirror finish, I MIGHT lay each wall off with a smaller nap after I rolled it with a 1/2".

The weave is the same on 3/8 and 1/2" naps. There is no reason other than operator error or cheap naps to have excess stipple.
I agree, I use to think deeper nap rollers left too much stipple - then someone turned me onto using 3/4" nap colossus roller with Aura paint. Let me tell you, I couldn't tell the difference in stipple from an ordinary 3/8" roller sleeve - maybe it's the newer generation of paints that allow this. But when I went back to using 3/8" roller sleeves it was total production killer.

Kdpaint - we're both in New England, the majority of the work we see is level 5, think about it. Isn't the majority of your work on veneer plaster over blueboard? If that ain't level 5, then it's level 6 - you don't get any smoother and flatter than trowelled veneer plaster. And I never saw an issue with stipple using big roller sleeves. Now I've seen mongoidly huge stipple from using certain paints.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Anyone else use the Purdy Golden Eagle? 98% of what i do is knockdown ceilings and orange peel walls, so I use the 3/4. Rolled out some nice walls with it. Finally maning up while I have my youth and getting an 18" so I'll have to preorder that stuff.
My paint store had a huge shipment of those once and they weren't moving - so gave me a deal to grab the box. I tried them on a high end paint job using P&L accolade paint - and the things performed flawlessly. Everyone in my area is use to buying the white dove line - but I couldn't tell the difference and they were a lot cheaper. Maybe they don't hold out for a washing and reuse perhaps as much as the white doves do?

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Do any of you guys remember 3/4" piles instead of naps? They were a lot denser and left one of the nicest finish ever.

I was going through an old box of tools and found a few. I bet they are 15 years old. Phenolic core and all:)

The one in the middle is a 3/4" pile from SW.
Yeah, the one on the left is a 3/4" Colossus from purdy, you can still get them and they work AWESOME!!!!

·
A Brush Above
4,669 Posts
Yeah, the one on the left is a 3/4" Colossus from purdy, you can still get them and they work AWESOME!!!!
Lot of texture here. All we use are 3/4 -1" colossus. We pitch brushes faster than the naps by the way.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I got on that kick of using them about two years ago. The finish is good, but not as good as a roller made for aura. Microfiber produces a much better finish.

I use wooster pro do z's mostly and purdy white doves along with the microfibers for aura.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Kdpaint - we're both in New England, the majority of the work we see is level 5, think about it. Isn't the majority of your work on veneer plaster over blueboard? If that ain't level 5, then it's level 6 - you don't get any smoother and flatter than trowelled veneer plaster. And I never saw an issue with stipple using big roller sleeves. Now I've seen mongoidly huge stipple from using certain paints.[/QUOTE]

I guess when I think of level 5 I think of new construction with sheetrock and 3 coats of mud corner to corner. But you are right, the majority of the homes I do are troweled plaster over scratch coats on lathe and strapping, so that is pretty darn flat, and back when it was done it was a level 5/6!

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
@kdpaint - the majority of new work as well is troweled plaster over blueboard. That is equivalent to level 5 - even with level 5 finish, they have to sand it. Plaster is water troweled and polished to the point of having a slight reflection.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts