Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
just wanted to know what naps you guys use. Ive been using Wooster but been thinking of using something else to compare. Any suggestions.

For the best finish this side of Worcester, I recommend Chris Tosc......... OOOOPS, you said NAPS, ........ sorry

I like the micro fibers for gardz and my prep coat, and any decent 3/8 for paste application - needs to have a sturdy moisture proof core though.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I like the wooster pro-dooz or super fab 3/8 for my home use. But I did put up a sectional wall at my wife's studio and used the cheaper golden flo's with good results. This was just after they made them more shed resistant. (I should have spent more time sanding the compound, but hey, she wanted it done faster:jester:)

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
I like the wooster pro-dooz or super fab 3/8 for my home use. But I did put up a sectional wall at my wife's studio and used the cheaper golden flo's with good results. This was just after they made them more shed resistant. (I should have spent more time sanding the compound, but hey, she wanted it done faster:jester:)
If you wanted to hide the compound you should have used 1/2 nap!:whistling2:

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
20/20 eyesight my friend. Plenty of painters leave excess stipple with 3/8" naps. In the hands of a good painter and good equipment, I stand behind what I said. On a level 5 ( and honestly, people talk about them a lot, but they are few and far between here) somebody MIGHT be able to tell the difference, and if they were eyeballing for a mirror finish, I MIGHT lay each wall off with a smaller nap after I rolled it with a 1/2".

The weave is the same on 3/8 and 1/2" naps. There is no reason other than operator error or cheap naps to have excess stipple.
I'll have to agree with you on repaints it would be hard to tell the difference with the texture of the naps.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Often I paint unpainted veneer plaster, which as plain points out, is a glassy level 5+. I use a 1/2" on that as well, all coats, primer and 2 top coats. It comes out perfect.
That said, its like painting with the guy who uses a 2" brush and he somehow is faster; its what you are used to, and how you have figured out your system.

·
Painting & More
564 Posts
Do any of you guys remember 3/4" piles instead of naps? They were a lot denser and left one of the nicest finish ever.

I was going through an old box of tools and found a few. I bet they are 15 years old. Phenolic core and all:)

The one in the middle is a 3/4" pile from SW.

I'll take the middle one all day long. I have some of those and still use them. SW sells the lambswool and I love the 1/2 one. You do have to break them-in as they will lose some hair the first round of painting, but they wash out so nicely and leave a nice finish. (I also paint mostly textured surfaces.)

I have a colossus and don't like it. JMHO!

·
Almost Gone
10,730 Posts
Lambswool bitches... and I toss them.

Sometimes I use a tray too, I hope you don't have a problem with it.

Drops are optional sometimes.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Mostly smooth here - we like Wooster ProDooz 3/8 Talk about a smooth roller. We will bump it up to 1/2 for apartments, etc.

Love Super Fabs for ceilings....

50/50 for exteriors :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Super fab 1/2 for ever ( smooth walls- no problem..) recently got switched over to the Arroworthy Micro 1/2.
Wish someone made a micro 1/2 in 14"...

·
Registered
633 Posts
My point being the 3/8 is good, they don't make 1/2 that I have found and the 9/16 it too much on smooth walls/ ceilings IMO.

I wish Arrowrorty made a 1/2 Microfiber

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
You wouldn't know the difference- 8+8=16
An extra roll and its good - I do have a problem with lamb on smooth walls- not micro.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Maybe I had a bad batch of the 9/16. They fell apart and did not wash up at all without some serious shedding. They even shed while rolling the walls:mad:

I'm happy with their 3/8 and used lots of them lately just wish they held a little more.

I will have to try some 9/16 again.

All I see here is smooth so heavy naps don't work for us.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts