Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a painter. I painted new Fypon PVC Column Wraps. When I washed them, the paint was coming off onto the sponge. When I primed them, within one hour it was blistering. The paint from the factory was lifting off the column down to the substrate. I used Aqualock primer(latex acrylic). Has anyone had this problem before? Any information would be helpful and greatly appreciated. Thank you. Scott

·
Registered
233 Posts
I am a painter. I painted new Fypon PVC Column Wraps. When I washed them, the paint was coming off onto the sponge. When I primed them, within one hour it was blistering. The paint from the factory was lifting off the column down to the substrate. I used Aqualock primer(latex acrylic). Has anyone had this problem before? Any information would be helpful and greatly appreciated. Thank you. Scott

Uhhh... isn't it very difficult to get good adhesion to PVC? I thought that PVC was almost unpaintable except for a select few things that could do the trick?

I just say this because I remember a supplier coming in and showing us a piece of pvc that he got some paint to adhere to and being pretty proud of it.

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
We see pvc exterior trim sometimes. I am not familiar with Fypon, as we typically see Azex or Versatex. PVC trim does take paint very well. It is wise to check the manufacturers (Fypon) specs for paint application instructions.

Without seeing your particular case, I would remove everything down to the substrate, scuff, apply oil primer and then topcoats. I dont know why your primer would be blistering. The only time I see blisters or bubbles on applications is when surface temps are too hot, when the sun is hot on the coating and it is drying too fast. Perhaps the substrate had some type of silicone or wax coating from the factory that needed to be removed prior to finishing.

·
The Lurker
3,514 Posts
I check the Fypon site and saw never special about painting it. Seems similar to all other PVC type products.

I would think also that some type of film or wax was on surface prior to first coat

·
The Lurker
3,514 Posts
Uhhh... isn't it very difficult to get good adhesion to PVC? I thought that PVC was almost unpaintable except for a select few things that could do the trick?

I just say this because I remember a supplier coming in and showing us a piece of pvc that he got some paint to adhere to and being pretty proud of it.
PVC trim can be painted under special requirements from the manufacturers.

We use PVC sill noses and brickmold for repairs and scuff and hit with 100% acrylic and have had no problems.

·
Born To Be Mild
4,956 Posts

If your paint and the mfg's primer were both coming off down to bare pvc, then it is a problem with the mfg's primer. You should not be held accountable for poor primer adhesion. We have had good luck with Bulls eye 123 as a primer for pvc. (Personally hate it, but it sticks)

Dumb question, but did you wash the columns before painting?

·
The Lurker
3,514 Posts
You washed them and the paint was coming off? were they painted at some other point in time by another paint contractor? if so was it there top coat that failed?

Fypon site says there PVC products do not have to be painted so I find it hard to believe that there top coat is failing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Make sure surface is clean. Plastic & Vinyl primer from XIM is your best choice if you are worried about adhesion. It primes all plastics but one including polypropylene. The only exclusion is polyethylene which has recycled content containing waxes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used 6243 plastic primer from napa auto parts store on the plastic around my french doors than used lacquer primer and paint still looks good after 10 years.

Don

1 - 10 of 10 Posts