Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Group
I'm new to the group...searching for some help here. I'm a finish carpenter and furniture maker and I've been working on a new quarter sawn white oak front door for my own house. I've spent way too much time making it perfect to botch up the finish step (for those that care...hand laminated stave core, floating tennons, half lapped mullions). I don't do a lot of exterior finishing but I did do a refinish of an exterior door 10-12 years ago and used Sikkens. It still looks pretty good today.

So went to a specialty paint store today that carries Sikkens products and a patron overheard my conversation (clearly a veteran by the looks of his truck). He jumped in and said the Sikkens product today is a far cry from what I used 10 years ago. He steered me towards the Canadian Sansin products, specifically Ardera.

Any thoughts or knowledge on this product? Ideally I'm looking for something that is durable but also brings out the rays of the oak. Lots of info finishing interior oak, but not too much for exterior. I often invite clients to my house to see my work and I'm hoping the front door translates that message.

Secondary challenge is I live in southern california where the regs have put the finish manufactures at a disadvantage (low VOC). Door is north facing and doesn't receive too much sun or rain.
Thanks for the help.

·
Retired Moderator
10,539 Posts
While many if their products have changed. I don't think Sikkens Door and Window has.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Hello Group
I'm new to the group...searching for some help here. I'm a finish carpenter and furniture maker and I've been working on a new quarter sawn white oak front door for my own house. I've spent way too much time making it perfect to botch up the finish step (for those that care...hand laminated stave core, floating tennons, half lapped mullions). I don't do a lot of exterior finishing but I did do a refinish of an exterior door 10-12 years ago and used Sikkens. It still looks pretty good today.

So went to a specialty paint store today that carries Sikkens products and a patron overheard my conversation (clearly a veteran by the looks of his truck). He jumped in and said the Sikkens product today is a far cry from what I used 10 years ago. He steered me towards the Canadian Sansin products, specifically Ardera.

Any thoughts or knowledge on this product? Ideally I'm looking for something that is durable but also brings out the rays of the oak. Lots of info finishing interior oak, but not too much for exterior. I often invite clients to my house to see my work and I'm hoping the front door translates that message.

Secondary challenge is I live in southern california where the regs have put the finish manufactures at a disadvantage (low VOC). Door is north facing and doesn't receive too much sun or rain.
Thanks for the help.
Picture of the door would really help

·
Administrator
21,638 Posts
I used the Sansin conditioner, stain, and clear coat on the exterior of a very expensive fir front door and it came out really well. If you aren't spraying, you need to work it fairly fast since it dries quickly. It's also pretty costly stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RH,
Do you remember which product you used on the Fir door? I went to the Sansin window and door page (link))
and was a bit overwhelmed. SDF, ENS, EOS, Adera all sound about the same. I need to do some more reading. Tell me more about your prep of the door.

Interestingly the paint store showed me stains that are shown on their website as interior stains. I suspect interior stains will lose their color with UV exposure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts