Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Painter
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so surprisingly, this is a new one for me...... I had went a looked at a job about a week ago or so and I sent the client my Estimate later that night. I'll admit, I noticed this particular client seemed to have decent money so I did what any normal person would do and added a bit more to what I would usually bid. The client calls me two days later and says everything looked great and they wanted to go with my bid BUT He really, really needed to get this project done ASAP!! I told him I'm slammed right now(as usual) but I might be able to move a few things around and get to him in a few weeks.... He then ask "is there anything we can do to speed that process up? What if I paid an extra 1k would that help??" So long story short the next client I had scheduled just so happened to say it would actually be better for them If I pushed their project out a few weeks anyways, the issue I'm having is how do I go about adding this to my contract? I want to have it in there that I acknowledge the fact he needs it done by X date but without having it seem like a guranteed thing just in case. Like contractor agrees to try to reach substantial completion of project by x date to the best of his abilities or as long as there's no unexpected or unforseen conditions, etc. Client agrees to pay contractor an additional "x amount" for agreeing to speed up duration to the best of his abilities??? But obviously in alot more of A "Contracty" type lingo....... has anybody had this come up before and if so what or how did you go about adding it to your contract?? Sorry I'm advance if this has already been asked but I couldn't find anything using the search bar. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

·
Administrator
21,728 Posts
To be honest, I never had to put a time clause into any of my contracts - either about when I would start, or when I would be finished. I imagine it is more common in commercial jobs or when working with contractors, but even when doing those, it was never required. If you can, I would just leave out any start/finish requirements and modify anything you have already written to adjust for the additional money and then start ASAP and stay with it until done - since that‘s what the extra money is for. In other words, bust your butt to fulfill your end of the agreement, but try to not have have to put it in writing.

Reactions: cocomonkeynuts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Section 771 of my state’s business law section requires that home improvement contractors (including painting contractors) include the following in contracts:

“The approximate dates, or estimated dates, when the work will begin and be substantially completed, including a statement of any contingencies that would materially change the approximate or estimated completion date. In addition to the estimated or approximate dates, the contract shall also specify whether or not the contractor and the owner have determined a definite completion date to be of the essence.”

When time is of the essence, it’s important to include contingencies that would materially change the time is of the essence completion date, and to clearly define substantial completion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts