Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Need Help Marketing/Selling

14K views 67 replies 24 participants last post by  Home Interior 
#1 ·
New to the Paint Talk. Recently decided to go into business for my self.

Background, I’m a journeyman painter, commercial, residential. Approaching 30 years old I’m vary fast and produce quality quickly. Cut straight lines prefer to roll with an 18” but I’m faster with a sprayer. Spray anything I can.

Im having trouble landing jobs, I’ve posted on Craigslist, Facebook. Cold called property management companies. I’ve gone knocking on doors, basically pitching that I started a paint company and im offering free estimates and affordable prices. Most of my leads are from knocking on doors.
I’ve done 6 estimates, sold 0. One full exterior is ready but wants to get new windows first. 2 tentative but couldn’t commit, one because of price, one for unknown time frame. The rest threw the cracks. I’m a very good painter I bought a pump and van have all my grip I’m ready to work and I have a mind for business but seems like I spend all my time giving estimates and haven’t made sh**. Looking for advice. I don’t wanna pressure people. They all say my prices seem fair. I need to make SOME SORT OF MONEY, at least enough to pay the bills.

Any advice from experience in my position I’m grateful.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)

Background, I’m a journeyman painter, commercial, residential. Approaching 30 years old I’m vary fast and produce quality quickly. Cut straight lines prefer to roll with an 18” but I’m faster with a sprayer. Spray anything I can.

Im having trouble landing jobs, I’ve posted on Craigslist, Facebook. Cold called property management companies. I’ve gone knocking on doors, basically pitching that I started a paint company and im offering free estimates and affordable prices. Most of my leads are from knocking on doors.
I’ve done 6 estimates, sold 0. One full exterior is ready but wants to get new windows first. 2 tentative but couldn’t commit, one because of price, one for unknown time frame. The rest threw the cracks. I’m a very good painter I bought a pump and van have all my grip I’m ready to work and I have a mind for business but seems like I spend all my time giving estimates and haven’t made sh**. Looking for advice. I don’t wanna pressure people. They all say my prices seem fair. I need to make SOME SORT OF MONEY, at least enough to pay the bills.

Don't act desperate. It is obvious to the customer. You must take an attitude of "I dont mind if I don't get this job, there will be another one. Focus on being a quality find".

look up your competition, and place a listing (start with the free ones) wherever they have one.

Look for the worst looking house in town, preferably in a nicer neighborhood. have postcards made up ($50). Knock on doors and introduce yourself, and offer free estimates. If you can give them an accurate/simple estimate on the spot, you might land a few right away (or tell them your hourly, and say this will take 4-5 days, etc...). I'm a soft sell, meaning that I never push them, and that works for me, just tell them it was nice to meet you, thank them for their time, and call when they need something.

Call every builder in town (ask to speak to the general manager or whoever is in charge of the paint crew), introduce yourself. Let them know you're available if they need anything. Give them your rate, and contact info.

Talk to the local paint stores. Let them know you're looking for work. they can sometimes offer great leads.

#3 ·

Where is your business located at?

#5 ·
Questions:
1. What happened with your last employment?
2. How did you receive your Journeyman level status?
3. Are you having difficulty finding employment?
4. Why are you starting a business as a means to earn a desperately needed income rather than find employment?

Comment:
The common narrative is that there are plenty of positions to fill in the construction industry, but not enough people seeking employment to fill them. So, it doesn't make sense to me why a skilled journey level craftsman can't earn a desperately needed income in this hiring climate. Unless, an individual's life style requirements go so far beyond an average Journeyman employee's income. Yet, everyone knows starting a business is typically a financially tough venture for at least the first five years.

#7 ·
It’s not desperately need income. I don’t live outside my means not that that’s you business CA. But I’m paying money out and none coming in that’s an issue with me. I’m looking for advice on selling jobs. Not advice on my life choices thanks. I think something is wrong with my sales process. I introduce myself tell them about my experience. I talk about the customers needs, I write the price right there, on a line item quote sheet, I ask for the job. “They say they need to think about it” or “they can’t commit”

is it normal for them to want to schedule 2 or 3 months out?

how many estimates per sale ? What’s the average number? 1 in 4? 1 in 6?

am I not building urgency? How do you build urgency?

#8 ·
Have you checked out existing articles in the Business, Marketing, and Sales sub-forum? Look at the first entry (Resource - Business, Marketing, and Sales) - it has some articles that have been helpful to many. There are a lot of posts in the sub-forum, many of which you won’t find useful, but some will be.

#10 ·
Okay, going to throw myself on this grenade.

An observation, and one you likely won't want to hear or appreciate, is that you seem to have a bit of anger showing up in the replies you have crafted to some of the responses members have offered here - and these are aimed at people who are trying to offer up some help to you for a situation you asked for assistance in. We all understand the frustration of being in the position of doing everything right but then not landing the jobs. And it is understandable that such frustration leads to some anger at those who aren't hiring you or to customers in general. But IF that is being conveyed to your prospective customers, even at a very subtle level, you may be shooting yourself in the foot.

It's been my experience that when getting multiple bids, customers will look at reasons NOT to hire one of the contractors and much as to why they should hire them. And if you are coming across as defensive or of having a bit of a chip on your shoulder, especially if it is in the course of answering some of the questions you might be getting from the average clueless HO, then that might very well be throwing up a major road block to your landing jobs. A good example might be in how you respond when a customer tells you (if they do) that they are "going in another direction", code for choosing another contractor. I have always tried to be a good sport about it, wished them well and suggested that if things don't go well then to keep us in mind. As a result, I have gotten calls from some of those customers when something DID go wrong and they were't happy with the outfit they chose. Or, I have gotten calls from other people those customers gave my name to. I guess my point here is, never burn any bridges no matter how tempting it may be to do so. Your perception amongst customers, and others in the trade, is an accumulative one and if it becomes one in which you are seen as a hot head, well...

Perhaps, what I have put out here is totally off base and when you are interacting with customers your business demeanor is all professional, easy going, respectful, attentive, and polite. But if it isn't then you will need to reassess how you respond.

Now, you may likely just tell me to go F*** myself, and if you do, so be it. But if you do, you will sort of be making my point for me. Taking an honest look at how we may be coming across to others is hugely difficult, but it's usually a pretty valuable to do so. As the old, worn-out, adage goes, we only get one chance to make that first impression.

#11 ·
I know the feeling, my first year was a bit thin when I was just getting started...

Personally I don't ask for the job on the spot. I usually tell them I'll email them an estimate. I think most potential customers appreciate not having to make a big decision like this on the spot. I also tell them to get a couple other estimates as well, and call me if they have any other questions.

Like other posters said give your name to all the paint stores around too. By this time of year the paint stores are looking for people who aren't booked up. Once you get your first few jobs you'll probably start picking up jobs from the neighbors and references will start to snowball from there.

#12 ·
Do you have any referrals or photos of your work?
From a homeowners perspective, if you showed up on my doorstep, I’m not going to make any commitments unless I see your work. If it were me, I would not say you just started a business. Maybe say how many years experience you have and that you’re insured and licensed.

In my experience as a faux painter, I can tell when someone is a no go or if I hooked them. Keep your intro short and sweet. If you get the opportunity to give an estimate, IMO, that’s the time to really connect with the homeowner. If they feel they can trust what you’re telling them, they’ll at least remember you.
Consider why they may want painting. Are they going to sell and just want fast and cheap? Maybe they want a complete refresh and money is no object. If you can pick up on certain queues , tailor your pitch to their needs.

In my personal experience, if I say I need to think about it, it means a money issue on my end.

It’s frustrating to put time into something with no results. You’ll land something soon.

#15 ·
Do you have any referrals or photos of your work?
From a homeowners perspective, if you showed up on my doorstep, I’m not going to make any commitments unless I see your work. If it were me, I would not say you just started a business. Maybe say how many years experience you have and that you’re insured and licensed.

In my experience as a faux painter, I can tell when someone is a no go or if I hooked them. Keep your intro short and sweet. If you get the opportunity to give an estimate, IMO, that’s the time to really connect with the homeowner. If they feel they can trust what you’re telling them, they’ll at least remember you.
Consider why they may want painting. Are they going to sell and just want fast and cheap? Maybe they want a complete refresh and money is no object. If you can pick up on certain queues , tailor your pitch to their needs.

In my personal experience, if I say I need to think about it, it means a money issue on my end.

It’s frustrating to put time into something with no results. You’ll land something soon.
The ones I always hated were after you were done doing all the numbers, giving them your best "spiel", and then your quote, they would say, "Well, I need to talk it over with my husband/wife.". Always felt like my method of selling myself and my work were 50% wasted since the other wasn't there to hear it. Also, I often figured that was an easier way for them to say, "Uh, no thanks."

Reactions: fauxlynn
#16 ·
Being introspective and knowing you can be a hot head is very positive. Thinking you're not showing it to home owners is very questionable. Many people are very good readers of that kind of thing whether you think you're showing it or not. It can make people uncomfortable when they're considering letting you work for them in their homes. Some won't care, but I'd say that's the minority.

#14 ·
Personally I hate the idea of going door to door selling services. I find it annoying when people come to my door trying to sell me something and nobody who has ever done so has landed a job for me. Period.

Your approach of building urgency and expecting people to sign off on the spot without having a chance to think about it is likely making them uncomfortable. Closing a sale is important, but if you don't do it tactfully you come across like a used car sales person.

Tell every person you know that you've started a business and you're looking for work. Family, friends, everyone. Eventually you'll start getting interest and referrals. I've advertised twice; once in the local paper and once in a little real estate magazine. Got one phone call out of it that turned into nothing. Since then I've been strictly word of mouth, and that's worked for the last 13 years since we moved here and knew literally two people here.

Definitely let the people where you buy your paint that you're looking. The girls at the local paint shop I go to have gotten me tons of work over the years. They keep a list on the front desk of all the local painters. They aren't supposed to refer one painter over another but they definitely do.

#17 · (Edited)
...Definitely let the people where you buy your paint that you're looking. The girls at the local paint shop I go to have gotten me tons of work over the years. They keep a list on the front desk of all the local painters. They aren't supposed to refer one painter over another but they definitely do.
I would add that I get many many painters like, like OP, looking for leads especially in the winter when everything dries up. Who am I going to throw a carrot to:
1) Dime a dozen 99% SW user who claims they're the best and fastest ever
2) Someone I've developed a long standing relationship with and have only positive feedback from customers.

@BrushSwing3R not saying your in the first category however I have heard the same thing countless times only to end up burned one way or another. When I give your name as a lead it comes with my stamp of approval to the client. End of the day customers want honesty, quality and good value. Court your supplier and show them that not only do you supply all three but you also are loyal and don't bounce around looking to skim the best deal by dangling a carrot.

#20 ·
You've said a few things that may be potential red flags if I were the customer (or as another painter listening to give feedback).

"I don’t work by the hour I’m to fast for that"

I thought you needed money? I don't understand what you think working by the hour means, but this would be a great topic for discussion!

"am I not building urgency? How do you build urgency?"

"Urgency"? I've never heard this term before in this context, what do you mean?

"I write the price right there, on a line item quote sheet, I ask for the job."

Do you literally ask for the job? How do you phrase that?

"is it normal for them to want to schedule 2 or 3 months out?"

That may be putting the cart in front of the horse at this time.

#39 ·
I totally agree with everything you just said. I started painting in 1992 and by 93 I thought I was as good as my grandfather who had done it for 40 years. The moral is it takes time, patience, practice and repetition In every field this occupation has to offer before Things really start to go your way. I'm not saying you're not good or fast but you shouldn't expect to just start slamming right away, just because you think so. You have to be very confident when you're giving numbers and that's just something that comes with time. (But 1st never ask them if they're going to hire you) When I give estimates.--- I introduce myself and I'm always dressed in clean whites and freshly shaven. I usually comment something nice about the home or some type of engaging conversation. I don't usually start right at business unless they do. If they go right to it then so do I but I'll wait and then ask them so what is it that you're looking to have done exactly. Always Be receiving of what they're saying and when they're done I show them the difference between a painter and a Professional Custom Painter. Point out all the details of the job and how your company is different from the rest. When I leave for work everyday I feel like it's my world. That's where I'm most comfortable at and that comes off to the customers. Which I never treat them like a customer. When I leave they feel like I'm a friend. And who wouldn't pick a friend to do work for them. I take down notes, give ideas but never colors. Tell them approximate completion time. Then I will go home and go over the numbers and send a text or email back with the estimate as soon as possible it is possible. I usually go about 1 to 2 days before returning the estimate But depending on how quickly they're wanting it of course. My estimates are all hand typed on the computer very professional with my logo but this is a process that I've worked on for years and it's what works best for me. Of course there's a lot more that goes into it but that's the gist. Now I can't say it will work for you but the God's truth is My sales rate has gotta be around 98%. I do mostly residential custom Interior and exterior repaint, Deck stains and power washing, epoxy floors and counters, cabinets, drywall hanging and finishing, trim work, Wood replacement, and anything they wanna pay me for. just about. I never feel like I'm competing for a job I feel like helping someone complete a Project. If you start to look at it like that it'll probably help a little.
Good luck! Paintr1 Out.

#25 ·
Sales people often extend there hand forcefully 'asking' to shake on a deal. I saw a painter (formerly sales) do this once In my store and it was indeed cringe to watch. What's worse is before the job started he got some girl pregnant in California and left his business partner hanging in the wind. I learned a valuable lesson that day.

#22 ·
I think urgency is the concept of conveying to the customer that it’s in their best interest to commit now rather than later. I used to do so if a customer wanted a job to be scheduled close to a specific date. My “urgency” would be; “Well, IF you want to lock in that approximate time, and you want to go with us, don’t wait too long to commit since our schedule is filling up quickly.” It wasn’t a lie, or just a line to land the job, it was the truth - but also a good way to wrap up a sale.

#27 ·
Creating urgency to buy a product or service in the mind of the consumer is the name of the game. Just watch some television commercials and look for the sense of urgency and you’ll often see it - though sometimes it’s pretty subtle. “Special offer, act now and… , for a limited time, while supplies last”, etc. are all meant to do it. Insurance companies are especially good at conveying it.

#28 ·
Holland, creating urgency is a basic sales technique. It doesn’t mean your fabricating urgency. But if there t1-11 is peeling and curling at the ends, it’s best to let them know that waiting until next year or 2 years is not in there best interest. It will cost them more in prep and possibly siding damage. I know this, but they may not, therefore I must “create” urgency, by informing them of these real world issues, without making them feel pressure because it is not my intent to pressure. I want people to want to hire me, not feel like they have to.

I’m too fast to work by the hour means, a painter in my aera is only gonna make most 25 as a w2 employee. Maybe 28 if commercial. Now I know what I’m doing and I’m fast I’m a hard worker. If I told someone I charged 50 an hour to paint there bedroom they would think that’s rediculous. However if I tell them I’ll paint their 10x12 bedroom walls only for 250 with paint they would think that’s a smoking deal. It’s also a good deal for me. I can put 1 coat in one hour. So 2 hrs labor, plus dropping off, removing switch covers, sanding walls, sparkling we’ll call 3 hrs. My price on promar 200 is 25 a gallon (used to be 17 when I was working for the man). So 2 gallons of paint, 50, 3 hours of labor, and 1 hour giving estimate and follow up. I average 50 an hour to me that’s good money I understand overhead, taxes, ect. But the point I’m trying to make is it makes more sense for me to charge by the job not the hour, because I’m “too fast” to charge by the hour to a homeowner.

Also, I don’t Believe I’m putting the cart before the horse. I have a solid job that’s just not ready. I have another tentative. And I’ve only been marketing for one week. What I was looking for is sales advice from anyone that has any SALES experience, to get CASH FLOW now. If you don’t understand basic sales process then don’t try to belittle me because In the end it’s you that’s losing potential not me.

#29 ·
And Holland, when I ask for the businesss, after looking at my pictures telling them about my experience and presenting them with the quote, I ask for the sale like this (there’s usually a pause when they look at the quote)

like I said I’m new in business, I’m offering these jobs affordable prices because I’m looking to make a name for myself and get referrals ,I do charge a 10% deposit, are you comfortable scheduling with me today or do you need some time to think about it”

most say they need some time I follow up in 6 days

I don’t wannna pressure people, but I am not scared to ask for there businesss after all I’m in business to do business. I’ve put a lot of money up in taxes and equipment to be scared to ask for business.

#50 ·
Try asking what they care about most before asking for the business... Get to the end, they've seen the pictures, heard your WHY ME... then ask them what they care about most... getting this done in a certain time frame, cost, or ensuring they're making the right choice going with you? Obviously they will care about all of these, but most people will elaborate or give you more info you can then use to figure out where they should fit in your follow ups. Also, ask if they feel your quote is fair. And earlier in the process, make sure you ask how many other pros/companies they've talked to about this already, otherwise they won't know if the quote is fair, and if you could find a way to show them that it is, you're solid. Alternatively ask how many they'd ideally like to see. Ask if they want help identifying other good pros. Then reach out to those same painter referrals from Facebook/Nextdoor, and build some good rapport by sending them over to do a quote.

I had a mudder once ask me how many quotes I needed to see and when I told him at least 3, he pulled up Facebook, messaged two other mudders and arranged a time with them to quote my job. I ended up going with the first guy, but even if I didn't, I'd have still given him a good review for being a stand up dude. Only way I wouldn't have gone with him was if pricing was way out of left field, or the timing didn't work for when I needed the job done.

#30 ·
I never ask people to commit on the spot. Especially on jobs over $1000. I usually say I'll get something written up for you in the next couple days. Unless it's a small job, like 1 or 2 rooms. Then I can easily say. $500 and I can probably get in here early next week if you want? But pressuring someone into a $2500 commitment is a little more pressure. Without knowing your actual demeanor or personal vibe, it's hard to say why you aren't getting the sales. But Being a good and fast Painter almost has nothing to do with it. People just need to like you and feel that they can trust you. Honesty and integrity goes a long way in business.

#34 ·
I never ask people to commit on the spot. Especially on jobs over $1000. I usually say I'll get something written up for you in the next couple days. Unless it's a small job, like 1 or 2 rooms. Then I can easily say. $500 and I can probably get in here early next week if you want? But pressuring someone into a $2500 commitment is a little more pressure. Without knowing your actual demeanor or personal vibe, it's hard to say why you aren't getting the sales. But Being a good and fast Painter almost has nothing to do with it. People just need to like you and feel that they can trust you. Honesty and integrity goes a long way in business.
That is even more of a factor when you are working inside their homes. Their being comfortable and feeling they can trust you is a huge factor - feelings that may have nothing to do with your business practices.

#31 ·
Check your local ordinances before considering door to door peddling/solicitation, or even if distributing flyers. Some jurisdictions require door to door vendors to obtain a permit/license. Other jurisdictions expressly forbid it.

Example of a local ordinance in a village where I’ve regularly worked.., “No person shall enter any private residential property in the Village of Xxxxxxxx, Xxxxxx County, xxxxxx, for the purpose of vending, peddling or soliciting .......”

#35 ·
Clearly, good salesmanship involves the following:
1. Liking to engage with people
2. Patience
3. Understanding human behavior
4. Humility
5. Perseverance

Bad sales techniques:
1. Being arrogant
2. Not listening
3. Displaying urgency
4. Anger
5. Not liking people

Everyone knows that sales are not exclusively dependent on craft knowledge, techniques, products, or production, but rather character perception.

#36 · (Edited)
My first real break was accidentally meeting a homeowner in front of his home. It was long overdue for re-staining, and I mentioned to him that I was a painter.

He asked for a written estimate (which I wrote out in pen and paper - before I had a computer and email). He asked a lot of questions, and was dubious, but in the end he hired me (he had his caretaker check on me everyday).

I later painted the entire interior of his home, and then his sisters house (*interior and exterior) down the road, and eventually over half the homes in the neighborhood, many of whom I have maintained as customers to this day (almost twenty years later).

@BrushSwing3R - Reputation must be earned, and it can make you or break you in this field.
You're worried about booking 2-3 months out, charging $50 an hour, and wasting time writing 6 estimates, but maybe it would go better for you if you are more open to taking work you consider is beneath you, and start out pricing a little lower, at least until you have a base of customers. wow, is your rate really $50/hr?

#37 ·
You've been given some awesome advice by many members. It's easy to get discouraged and frustrated when first starting out. Just a few ideas:

-If you need cash flow NOW, consider subbing for reputable Painting Contractors on the side while you line up some work. When I first started, I looked at other painters as competition rather than an asset. It was a huge mistake that set me back at least a decade before I changed my way of thinking. Being able to refer and get work from other good painters in your area is something which will benefit everyone involved. Contact as many local outfits as you can find with a good reputation. That's the best suggestion I have for you to get some cash flow now.'

-Keep meticulous records across the board. Not only will you need a true idea of what it cost you to stay afloat, it'll expedite the bidding process with builders and GC's when they ask for your price per ft. Equally important is reviewing your records to see what's working and what isn't during the sales & acquisition process. Cold calls and door knocks is a number's game. I wouldn't expect to receive a higher acceptance rate than 5% for door-to-door, which means you'll have to do this entire process 20 times to get 1 job. Flyers and direct mail, maybe .01% acceptance rate at most, and that's if you're targeting ideal areas.

-Because the sales & acquisition process can be so time intensive, consider looking for a salesman who'd be willing to work based on commission only. That way, you pay them nothing until they find you jobs. It might not be easy, but there are some out there willing to be compensated this way.

-Commit some time to social media and free local directories. It's a free way to get your name out there and potentially reach a lot of people. Best to not make every post about trying to sell them something, so throw in useful tips, tricks, or just funny stuff. People will only listen to you for so long if every post is promotional.

-Read as much as you can here on PT. Not just the stickies, but anything you can find time for. I can't tell you how much I've learned from fellow members over the years. When I joined about 9 years ago, I really thought I had most everything figured out. It was both humbling and exciting to quickly realize I had a lot to learn. I still get that feeling when I read something from a member that I never knew...some really profound things that made me reevaluate my entire business model, and other little tips & tricks I'm still constantly trying to pick up to improve in any way I can.

Good Luck man.

#38 ·
I would suggest that the part about knowing about your craft and the products you use so you can speak intelligently and confidently with your pr
You've been given some awesome advice by many members. It's easy to get discouraged and frustrated when first starting out. Just a few ideas:

-If you need cash flow NOW, consider subbing for reputable Painting Contractors on the side while you line up some work. When I first started, I looked at other painters as competition rather than an asset. It was a huge mistake that set me back at least a decade before I changed my way of thinking. Being able to refer and get work from other good painters in your area is something which will benefit everyone involved. Contact as many local outfits as you can find with a good reputation. That's the best suggestion I have for you to get some cash flow now.'

-Keep meticulous records across the board. Not only will you need a true idea of what it cost you to stay afloat, it'll expedite the bidding process with builders and GC's when they ask for your price per ft. Equally important is reviewing your records to see what's working and what isn't during the sales & acquisition process. Cold calls and door knocks is a number's game. I wouldn't expect to receive a higher acceptance rate than 5% for door-to-door, which means you'll have to do this entire process 20 times to get 1 job. Flyers and direct mail, maybe .01% acceptance rate at most, and that's if you're targeting ideal areas.

-Because the sales & acquisition process can be so time intensive, consider looking for a salesman who'd be willing to work based on commission only. That way, you pay them nothing until they find you jobs. It might not be easy, but there are some out there willing to be compensated this way.

-Commit some time to social media and free local directories. It's a free way to get your name out there and potentially reach a lot of people. Best to not make every post about trying to sell them something, so throw in useful tips, tricks, or just funny stuff. People will only listen to you for so long if every post is promotional.

-Read as much as you can here on PT. Not just the stickies, but anything you can find time for. I can't tell you how much I've learned from fellow members over the years. When I joined about 9 years ago, I really thought I had most everything figured out. It was both humbling and exciting to quickly realize I had a lot to learn. I still get that feeling when I read something from a member that I never knew...some really profound things that made me reevaluate my entire business model, and other little tips & tricks I'm still constantly trying to pick up to improve in any way I can.

Good Luck man.
Glad I could help. 😁😗😉

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.