Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ohio Painting Contractor
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pay scale for commercial blue print reader?

I am trying to come up with a fair commission style pay scale for commercial blueprint readers. This position would be part time or potentially full time. Work from your home or our office, we generate all the prospects needed, as well as excellent office support/staff. We would expect the ideal candidate to promote, generate, and prspect leads/jobs on their own time in which we will offer higher pay/commision. The print readeing will be for warehouse, light industrial, and commercial repaints/new commercial painting. Prints rage from 2,000 - 250,000 Square Feet. The ideal candidate will be responsible to read prints and and provide detail scope of work, material needed, manpower necessary, we will put together the bid package, send it in, and follow up. We need someone to look over prints and generat cost with work scope.

·
Banned
184 Posts
Pay scale for commercial blue print reader?

I am trying to come up with a fair commission style pay scale for commercial blueprint readers. This position would be part time or potentially full time. Work from your home or our office, we generate all the prospects needed, as well as excellent office support/staff. We would expect the ideal candidate to promote, generate, and prspect leads/jobs on their own time in which we will offer higher pay/commision. The print readeing will be for warehouse, light industrial, and commercial repaints/new commercial painting. Prints rage from 2,000 - 250,000 Square Feet. The ideal candidate will be responsible to read prints and and provide detail scope of work, material needed, manpower necessary, we will put together the bid package, send it in, and follow up. We need someone to look over prints and generat cost with work scope.
Why not do it yourself, unless you are too busy?

When you hire this expert is he going to bid this so you can make a profit or just shoot out a random number?

If you want to PM me and give me your costs, I could be intised to give you a number for the proper percentage...

·
Ohio Painting Contractor
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
BrushDude thanks for your advice I will pm you.

There is just no way I can take on the additional tasks of reading prints. I have way to much other stuff to do just to keep up. I would like someone to read the prints and provide an excell sheet with scope of work, sq ft for each surface etc. materials needed etc.

PS. The expert better bid the job for profit or im not to sure if he will be bidding for to long.

The payscale I am considering is based on total contract price
1k - 15k 4%
15k - 50k 3%
50 k and up 2.5%

·
Registered
217 Posts
Sorta funny... just logged on today to annouce... well anyhow, I shut my doors and handed the keys to my daughter to carry on and took a job just like what you described. I wanted more time to spend with my family and new baby... the offer was too good to refuse and with the advent of two of my best going back to the crack house... hell ;) This is what I took...

salary + commision
Base is 1k per week, commision is 10% of all signed

I stand to make about 5k+ a month easily, which is about what I make now but I work from home, and stop at 5..... nice. 28 years... my body is broken in so many ways... this will be nice.

Btw, I planned to actually make a post, I think brian and george can cover any question about business, and wolvie has the market on paint tech... i'll still be lurking for other stuff. ;) I wish you all the best, and hope you can be as successful in life as anyone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I do digital estimating for painters

I'm in the Tampa area and would like to share experiences with those of you who are also doing this.

Regards,
Gary

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
I'm in the Tampa area and would like to share experiences with those of you who are also doing this.

Regards,
Gary
Gary, welcome to Painttalk. The members in this thread have not been active for a while. If you would like to post an intro here, there may be some members that are in interested in this topic.

·
17,849 Posts
Some PT originals in this long dead thread. I guess the job Benn, took worked out for him as he did not post anymore.

I have wondered why WeLovePainting quit posting as well.

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
Blueprint reading seems to be a challenge for alot of paint contractors. Its a critical estimating skill that anyone who pursues that type of work should want to become competent in.

·
RIP 2017
1,306 Posts
Blueprint reading seems to be a challenge for alot of paint contractors. Its a critical estimating skill that anyone who pursues that type of work should want to become competent in.
Just finished up a blueprint budget proposal a few weeks back. Since I got out of commercial work I don't see many blueprints anymore.

Here's a tip for people that are learning: Make sure to check for unfinished or site-built cabinetry on the prints. It can be easy to miss.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts