Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum but not to painting. I recently started a new project of painting kitchen cabinets. My cabinets are finished food originally purchased at Menards by the builder (I am not the first owner) in 2003. Before starting the project, I did a lot of research and testing. I read about Valspar cabinet paint and how little prep is needed. Decided to try and found out that it does not stick well even after the surface was sanded. Decided to go with Benjamin Moore Stix primer and Advance paint. I have a Magnum X5 that I am using. I did some prep of light sanding and cleaning. Applied 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint and in some places the white paint is bleeding yellow tones of the cabinets. What am I doing wrong? Interestingly enough, if I am looking at 1 cabinet, one part of it would be showing yellowing and another would be perfect.

I am also thinking of getting Behr White Acrylic Alkyd Primer and do a coat of that and Benjamin Moore Advance 1 coat on top. Will that help?

See images for reference (yellow error indicates a piece turning yellow and white is white. Both are part of the same cabinet).

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
you are having a die migration situation.This is a typical open pores oak cabinets.
All you can do in that home situation is get your self a can of kilz oil primer and spray the areas you see bleeding after 220g light sanding.
Please do not underestimate cabinetry finishing.for your next project please hire a professional.They need to be sprayed with industrial products that you cannot find at big box stores.
Good luck !

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,046 Posts
I suggest reading some of the other multiple threads on this subject already.

PaintTalk.com is designed for professional painting contractors and the related fields to discuss issues and topics pertaining to the painting industries. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assisting you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com. If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php.

This thread is now closed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.