Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help:
Hey everyone,

So I'll cut to the chase. Started www.CarpetArmor.com a few months ago and have seen almost 0 sales. Some big questions I have for y'all:

1) Do any painters out there actually use carpet protection film? If so where do you buy your film and why? If not what do you use to protect clients' carpet while painting?

Most importantly, would any one of consider buying my product? I'd be willing to provide an exclusive Paint Talk discount code.

2) Does CarpetArmor.com's design or website experience suck? I'm trying hard to come up with a new logo, cause some of my friends said it's ugly LOL

3) What marketing channels would you recommend for a product like mine?

I actually began the site marketing specifically only towards college students. I've refocused on painting and home improvement professionals (contractors, builders). I guess it doesn't help that I don't have good connections with people in said industries.

Have also considered: pet owners, new parents (dirty kids/babies lol), artists, interior designers, convention/trade show events. The last one I'm looking a lot more into.

Anyway, I'm a newbie in business and got rocked HARD with marketing and getting the word out about my products. Any non-trolling advice would be much appreciated.

xoxoxoxxoxo,

CarpetArmor's struggling yet proud owner.

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
To be honest, I don't use products like yours much. I'm usually using my canvass drops for floor protection. But when I do, I buy mine at the paint store because its convenient.

I'd try getting your product into the retail supply stores.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I prefer canvas drop cloths over anything else.

What happens with your product is any paint drips stay wet and are likely to get stepped on, or will get on our buckets and then eventually get on the floor surface.

I agree with your friends on the logo.

For years I have seen this type paint film on the home depot shelves ( or I at least I think its still there ) so someone must be buying, but I do not believe its painters.

I think you should continue looking for you target buyer.

Maybe you can add automotive repair/oil change shops to your list. They can cover seat and floor board before work.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ditto here. I have drop cloths. Once in a great while I use a carpet film like yours that I just pick up at the paint store. I use so little of it that I don't even keep it in stock. Sorry.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
We have used a similar product, but prefer drops. We order all the protection stuff from one site, your prices seem in line, so I doubt I would order from 2 places.

When I do a Google search for carpet protection, there is a whole page of companies offering the same thing, and I did not see yours listed.

The site is fine to me, I don't care much for the green, and the logo really gives no clue as to what the product is, at least to me.

Do you have a Facebook Page? Put it and your website in your sig line.
How about attending local trade shows?
Carpet stores?

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
I don't use them either. The only one I've seen use it is builder/GC's, and I've seen the carpet get waisted because the glue stuck to the carpet.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
I have experience with setting up and marketing an online store. First year did $110,000 in sales. By third year sales topped a quarter million. Here are some things I learned.

1. Forget about contractors. Many are generally broke and don't inventory. When they need it they buy it locally. In addition they will nickel and dime and demand the most customer support. (sorry guys.. if it doesn't apply, let it fly)
2. If you want to make a fortune you break down the size to the smallest package and sell to homeowners.
3. You need major SEO presence. I had the number two spot on Google for "deck cleaners" and a bunch of other related keywords. I put thousands of dollars into SEO plus worked it every day myself. You can have the greatest product and website in the world, but if no one can find it, its worthless.

Your website looks good and the video is fun but doesn't sell benefits enough. If your market is contractors, where are the contractor uses? If your market is homeowners, why talk about "projects"?

If you have $20K to invest in your company, you can get it off the ground. Otherwise, refine a presentation and start hitting flea markets. You'll need to be a Billy Mays style hawker to get interest.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
super

Hey guys,

Thanks for the honest advice, I'm going to absorb all that you've said and try to implement the changes. Good to know that a lot of painters actually don't use this product.

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Yeah I've only ever seen it used by GCs after the carpet is installed. They do it as a courtesy for the HO while they got people moving them in. Probably buy it in bulk for some good pricing? Other than that shoes off and use drops.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with many above. I am using drop clothes. In all honesty, it's a lot cheaper because I can reuse them. However, you need to market your stuff if you think it can be an alternative for us as painters. What makes it different than the other companies selling it? You need to focus on a niche to increase your sales. For example, can Seattle remodeling companies use your product? Could it potentially have some other applications and uses that you are not thinking about? Try to think outside the box!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts