Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Long Island Painter
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I enjoy working with quality designers. They can make my life easier and I in turn, by doing a proper job can make them look good.
I want to vent.
I had 3 jobs running for different designers last week. One has been using our services for over 20 years and is very efficient, collects all monies and pays 50% before and remainder on completion. The second was new, first job. As she was trying me out, she waved any fee as it was an under 2k job. She was organized and the job went perfect. the customer was happy and the designer now has me booked on a larger project.
Now, the third designed. About a year ago, she gave me a $1,500.00 referral. In turn, I did 3 days of repair work at her home at cost. She calls 3 weeks ago to give an estimate. Her instructions "Do not talk price with customer (never do) and do not go in house without me" O.K. fine by me. Then she calls and say's 'Give customer price and figure her for 10% rounded up." O.K., I know I am the only bidder, so be it, she wants to double dip, fine.
The job requires wallpaper removal and new crowns and wainscot (to be done by a carpenter). I give a price of 4K including her vig. I explain that it would be best if I remove the paper and prep the walls before the carpenter does his thing and I will come back and finish his work.
I show up monday and all the woodwork is done and over the wallpaper. he even caulked in. I informed her that this was improper job sequencing and she just made my job much more difficult and gave the obvious reasons.
She tells me, she wants her commission in cash. i tell her I do not operate that way. I will send her a check. She informed me that all the other contractors give cash, to which I replied, "I do not know how they do business, but to give cash means I pay taxes on her commission and end up not making a profit". he answer was 'But then i have to declare it". I said "yes, both of us".
She gave me the wrong color, I repeated it to her. My mistake was not having her initial the color scheme.
When we were done, the H.O. loved the work, the designed had my fial payment for $1.1K. She called me and said shw would not give me the check until I gave her the $400 commission. "Thats how I work". I tol;d her, I have never heard that in 25 years. After payment clears, I send her $400 check". She say's "How do I know I can trust you?". I replied, I came in no money down and did 3 days of basically free work in your home, my word is my bond."" if you refuse to give me the payment I will call the H.. and tell how you are double dipping." My men came back with the check.
Thank you for reading my "Venting thread" Only my painting brothers and sisters can really understand.

·
Administrator
19,649 Posts
Keep working with the first two.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've never had a pleasant experience with a decorator so since the mid 90's I don't work for them. Period. I work for homeowners and businesses.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts