Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting a graco 395 air assist. A few questions. Is a flat tip conversion kit the way to go. Comes with a G40 gun. Are the flat tips better than regular tips?
also, what tip sizes should I ask for as they are going to throw a few in. Does the air assist spray a different tip size for certain products than a regular airless sprayer.
ive always sprayed with a 395 and 495 airless. This will be my first time using an air assist. They are offering some free stuff when i pick it up but being a newbie to air assist I don’t know what I’ll need. Will mostly be using it for cabinets and trim. Water base lacquer along with old school lacquer, and some acrylics.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
You should opt for the G15, then you won't need to spend money on a conversion kit. You won't ever need to spray above the 1500psi limit on the G15 if always using air. I think most people like the G40 because they can use it like a regular airless gun with the reversible tips. But its such an expensive gun, I wouldn't dream of using it like that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the g15 is a flat tip gun? I have two airless sprayers. I want this to be air assist only. So G15 way to go then?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also I read that I need aaf tips for this gun. What sizes should I get to start out with. I can not buy in my area have to come with sprayer or order on line after the fact. I have some cabinets to spray right away but don’t know what tips I should have on hand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Finishpro 395 AA should come with the G40 gun and the flat tip conversion kit. Mine also came with an AAM 309 tip. I use mine mainly for cabinet painting with Cabinet Coat. I have tried various flat tip sizes and found that an AAF 408 works best for me. You could go up to an AAF 410 as well. With waterborne products I recommend staying away from the AAM tips as they seem to clog more. Also, I recommend picking up some tip cleaning needles. Tip Cleaning Needles – Air Assisted Airless Spray Equipment

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The Finishpro 395 AA should come with the G40 gun and the flat tip conversion kit. Mine also came with an AAM 309 tip. I use mine mainly for cabinet painting with Cabinet Coat. I have tried various flat tip sizes and found that an AAF 408 works best for me. You could go up to an AAF 410 as well. With waterborne products I recommend staying away from the AAM tips as they seem to clog more. Also, I recommend picking up some tip cleaning needles. Tip Cleaning Needles – Air Assisted Airless Spray Equipment
Thank you I will get those sizes. Have you tried the reversible flat tips. Would they help with clogging with water base coatings? 3041A16D-5F92-429B-927E-FD5D626D51B3.png

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't even know that there was a reversible flat tip. Too pricey for me. I think the Graco AAF tips are just fine. Just clean them well after use.
Ok thanks. The reversible tips are 75$ each, it’s just the initial outlay of the head for a few hundred bucks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In that case it may be worth it. I don't get many clogs as long as I clean out the tips really well after using but those reversable tips are interesting. I'd like to hear some feedback on how they spray, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts