Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

41 - 60 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I'd go Cabinet Coat or Advance. Prime with BIN first.

yes, i was definitely planning on using BIN primer first

thanks for the advice! just curious, what is your view on Scuff-X vs Advance?
Or you could consider Coronado acrylic waterborne alkyd. It's fast drying and can recoat the same day.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,580 Posts
Or you could consider Coronado acrylic waterborne alkyd. It's fast drying and can recoat the same day.
Was just thinking about that product the other day. The SK5000. How does that compare to the Advance? Liking the quicker recoat time for sure..

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,580 Posts
yes, i was definitely planning on using BIN primer first

thanks for the advice! just curious, what is your view on Scuff-X vs Advance?
Advance is a completly different animal than ScuffX. Advance is more like an oil paint with 16 hr recoat time. Superior brushing and leveling properties.
ScuffX is tough, but not really designed for trim or handrails etc..Although it would be a pretty good hard finish for certain stuff..

·
Super Moderator
6,959 Posts
Was just thinking about that product the other day. The SK5000. How does that compare to the Advance? Liking the quicker recoat time for sure..
I tested out the sk5000 on my vanity, it was alright but I preferred both the quick recoat times and overall finish of the v50 Breakthrough instead.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Doesn't harden up quite as much as advance and cabinet coat cover way better. Otherwise it preforms really nice for $25/gallon. I don't mind saying BM made it too good at that price point. They should have put it under the ultraspec label and sold it for $35-40/gal. I would say it's most similar to a budget version of advance. Very similar application properties and less prone to curtains.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Advance is a completly different animal than ScuffX. Advance is more like an oil paint with 16 hr recoat time. Superior brushing and leveling properties.
ScuffX is tough, but not really designed for trim or handrails etc..Although it would be a pretty good hard finish for certain stuff..

a friend recommended California Paint Ultra Aquaborne Ceramic semigloss. Anyone has experience with it?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
a friend recommended California Paint Ultra Aquaborne Ceramic semigloss. Anyone has experience with it?
I am not sure if I have used the semi-gloss, but the Ultra line is great. As far as I am concerned it is everything that Aura promises to be (but is not) at a much lower price point. The first time I used it I painted over a wallpaper removal wall that I realized I had not sanded enough. I was able to sand after an hour...that paint was as hard as a rock...no gumming up like most paints when you sand too early. I have painted a deep red and it almost covered in one coat.

Sent from my SM-A600U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
It's test marketing in AL, KY, LA, MS, and TN. I'm hearing good things about it, so Q3 might be a good bet.

41 - 60 of 109 Posts