Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I haven't read through all this thread, but here goes: I live in SE Tennessee. I am remodeling my bathroom and wanted my vanity refreshed. My general contractor hired a cabinet painter to repaint it . He used a white BM Command Waterborne Acrylic Urethane in the gloss finish. I am VERY unhappy with it because it shows every little tiny thing. You can barely touch this and it will show a gray mark. If the band of my wedding ring barely, I mean barely, should brush across this, it shows a gray streak. If I take some water and soap on a rag it will come off, but you have to do this every day. I hate it. Perhaps it needs a coat of something else on it to protect it, I don't know. If anyone here can help me out, please feel free!

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,581 Posts
Hello, I haven't read through all this thread, but here goes: I live in SE Tennessee. I am remodeling my bathroom and wanted my vanity refreshed. My general contractor hired a cabinet painter to repaint it . He used a white BM Command Waterborne Acrylic Urethane in the gloss finish. I am VERY unhappy with it because it shows every little tiny thing. You can barely touch this and it will show a gray mark. If the band of my wedding ring barely, I mean barely, should brush across this, it shows a gray streak. If I take some water and soap on a rag it will come off, but you have to do this every day. I hate it. Perhaps it needs a coat of something else on it to protect it, I don't know. If anyone here can help me out, please feel free!
Thanks for the feed back Deanie. That totally sux about the finish marring so easily. Alot of people were looking forward to this product. Most Acrylics have a 30day setup period fyi. However, You could try lightly sanding and applying a clearcoat to add a bit of protection. On the other hand, this site is for professionals and would prefer that you discuss this on our DIY site. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the feed back Deanie. That totally sux about the finish marring so easily. Alot of people were looking forward to this product. Most Acrylics have a 30day setup period fyi. However, You could try lightly sanding and applying a clearcoat to add a bit of protection. On the other hand, this site is for professionals and would prefer that you discuss this on our DIY site. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you, WildBill, for the suggestion. I just found this site while researching what to do about my vanity paint job. Didn't know there was a DIY site. Thank you. Apparently, whomever my GC hired decided to use this brand new product and I feel like we were his guinea pigs. Maybe after 30 days it will improve?? It's been about three weeks.

·
Super Moderator
2,581 Posts
Thank you, WildBill, for the suggestion. I just found this site while researching what to do about my vanity paint job. Didn't know there was a DIY site. Thank you. Apparently, whomever my GC hired decided to use this brand new product and I feel like we were his guinea pigs. Maybe after 30 days it will improve?? It's been about three weeks.
I really hope so. Was it a dark colour? Unfortunately the acrylic paints just don't seem to be as tough as the oil and laquer finishes. Benefit is the Low VOC and brush friendly properties.

·
Monarchski
120 Posts
so basically, its just like cabinet coat....
No, its Cabinet Coat on crack. I got my hands on a gallon of stock satin black and a gallon of gloss safety yellow. I've been playing with it on different substrates and you can NOT get this stuff off after it's been on 24 hours. Put it over some powder coated metal, won't come off. Just lightly sanded and applied. Put some on some steel beams that had an industrial enamel on them, won't come off and I didn't clean or sand. Brushed some out on some wood in both sheens, two coats and it's extremely hard but is flexible and laid down fairly decent. Like Breakthrough, you have to get it the way you want it fairly quickly. Also put some on an interior concrete floor that was very slick and didn't doing any etching, just cleaned it and that stuff is NOT coming off and fork lifts are driven over it starting 24 hours later. Incredible product.

·
Super Moderator
2,581 Posts
Believe it or not, my Rep here says he has some Command for me to sample. What should I try to paint first?! Sounds more like it's designed for industrial doors or something. We'll see.. :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
2,581 Posts
In my possession. Going to paint a couple sample doors and then maybe a dresser unit if I like the finish. Stay tuned..Have 1 gal. Stock Black and 1 gal. In a 3x base. Colour BM Van Duesen Blue. Full Gloss.

Attachments

·
Monarchski
120 Posts
Believe it or not, my Rep here says he has some Command for me to sample. What should I try to paint first?! Sounds more like it's designed for industrial doors or something. We'll see.. :unsure:
BM gets preconceived ideas on how to market something for a specific segment and they run with it. Dumb. Like the ScuffX which to me shouldn't be under the UltraSpec label. The Command will be just as popular on Res Repaint as it will on the Industrial side.

·
Super Moderator
2,581 Posts
BM gets preconceived ideas on how to market something for a specific segment and they run with it. Dumb. Like the ScuffX which to me shouldn't be under the UltraSpec label. The Command will be just as popular on Res Repaint as it will on the Industrial side.
Maybe for the professional, but not for the DIYer. These products are not super user friendly, which is why they market them to the commercial side of painting. Plus, they don't want to compete with the residential DIY sector..

·
Super Moderator
2,581 Posts
Do it state anywhere that it can be used on cabinets? 🤞
Yep. It actually does. Mind you, I can't seem to find an actual tds on this stuff yet. I imagine it is quite like the breakthrough. I rolled a first coat on some mdf panels last night. Was very brush/roller friendly, but you do have to move pretty quick. No different then trying to work with Aura really. 20 mins later, the stuff was candy shell hard. Crazy. Will apply 2nd coat today as well as some spray tests. Hopefully it levels off fairly well for spray application.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Until I hear back from you on these experiments, i'm sticking with BIN. Atleast for the first coat. I am currently experimenting with ppg sealgrip at the shop on some dark stained wood..just don't have confidence in the latex primers.
If you are anywhere near California, Vista Paint has a material called PrimeZall [LINK]

We use it religiously for anything where we worry about adhesion, It actually blocks Stain and Tannins well, and it sands really easily.

Only problem is they only exist in CA and I believe 2-3 stores in Las Vegas.

Plus for us it is Compliant in CA which is over half the battle!

81 - 100 of 109 Posts