Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys have a different system for finishing new raw wood cabinets than for re paints? I have our cabinet process pretty locked in but it's been several years since our last new construction job.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
4,253 Posts
Do you guys have a different system for finishing new raw wood cabinets than for re paints? I have our cabinet process pretty locked in but it's been several years since our last new construction job.
May I ask what your "normal" process is for cabinets?

·
Super Moderator
4,253 Posts
I also do not, nor do I think one should caulk floating panels. I think Coverstain is a great option for new doors if you don't mind working with oil.. ;) What are you top coating with.? Really when your starting from scratch you have way more options..

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
I’ve always caulked the floating panels. To me, it looks more finished especially as opposed to paint bridging.
Now, I don’t use cheap caulk. I’ve been a fan of the good urethane acrylic caulk for a while now. As far as the expansion/contraction issue, we caulk exterior cornice/trim all the time. And being an exterior application, it’s subject to more expansion/ contraction than an environmentally controlled interior application.

Anyway, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
I’m also a great believer in “to each his own”, so carry on gentlemen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,253 Posts
Ive NEVER ONCE seen a caulked cabinet door crack out.. So, yeah, I caulk them, unless it has a true 'floating' panel, which is super rare these days.
Most of the repaints we do are on floating panel doors. I agree about the look of a clean line without bringing paint, but you won't see cabinet shops caulking thier painted doors..I had this picture Sent to me yesterday from a friend that had her doors done a couple weeks back. Not sure if caulking is the culprit or not. Believe the product used was MLC..Was a bad job all around regardless as you can also see the pinholes

Attachments

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Most of the repaints we do are on floating panel doors. I agree about the look of a clean line without bringing paint, but you won't see cabinet shops caulking thier painted doors..I had this picture Sent to me yesterday from a friend that had her doors done a couple weeks back. Not sure if caulking is the culprit or not. Believe the product used was MLC..Was a bad job all around regardless as you can also see the pinholes
Looks to me like they painted too soon over fresh caulk

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Seasonal shrinkage is largely based on climate & environment as well as species and grain orientation… caulking might very well work in certain climates and/or environments yet may not work in others, so there’s really no right or wrong answer as to whether to caulk, or not to caulk.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Whoa! That’s nasty. Almost looks like the caulk wasn’t wiped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts