Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a few new construction homes coming up. I usually use PVA for my primer, but I had to use High Build Primer for my last job. (SW didn't have any PVA).

I actually enjoyed what High Build looked like on the walls. It was thick obviously and I like the idea of it potentially hiding any small imperfections. It didn't go nearly as far though (which I didn't know it didn't go as far, they forgot to mention that difference) but from the looks that is all I didn't like.

But my main question is it okay to use on bare drywall (Level 4 or 5 or with Orange Peel texture)? I know PVA is made for bare drywall, but I wasn't able to get a real answer to if the High Build is okay to put on new bare drywall and will it allow the paint to perform the way PVA allows the paint to perform?

Any tips/tricks or thoughts I would love to hear!

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
4,236 Posts
I am doing a few new construction homes coming up. I usually use PVA for my primer, but I had to use High Build Primer for my last job. (SW didn't have any PVA).

I actually enjoyed what High Build looked like on the walls. It was thick obviously and I like the idea of it potentially hiding any small imperfections. It didn't go nearly as far though (which I didn't know it didn't go as far, they forgot to mention that difference) but from the looks that is all I didn't like.

But my main question is it okay to use on bare drywall (Level 4 or 5 or with Orange Peel texture)? I know PVA is made for bare drywall, but I wasn't able to get a real answer to if the High Build is okay to put on new bare drywall and will it allow the paint to perform the way PVA allows the paint to perform?

Thank you
It's fine. Thin it out with 5% water to get some better milage.

·
Registered
Painter & Furniture Refinishing
2,775 Posts

Thank you
I actually prefer such primers, Aqua Lock, Prime All, even 123/ zinsser, Etc. @finishesbykevyn is quite right about thinning for better mileage but the end result will be a much more durable priming. You won't need to worry about tape pulling finish paint off the walls, should you need to use painters tape in the finishing work.

·
Super Moderator
6,941 Posts
It may be an old one, but let's keep 'er goin'.

I hate whatever drywall primer drywallers around here use. Just finished up the walls on a job the other day in scorching hot temperatures and it was awful. Primer was all sanded down and dusted. First coat of paint basically dries on contact and it literally sucks the paint off your brush or roller. Virtually impossible to keep a wet edge. Second coat goes on like a dream. I'm always happier when the first coat on everything is finished.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts