Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
141 - 151 of 151 Posts

· Registered
1,273 Posts
Now I am a contractor, not a painter. Correct me if I am wrong, but I have been told by many of my painters that if you finish spray the trim with any gloss it will affect how your flat goes on the wall, where it overlaps. Thanks

The gloss from the trim on the drywall can create at least two potential issues:

1) the flat paint won't adhere to the trim paint. The trim paint needs to be scuff sanded before the flat paint is applied.

2) many painters use cheap PVA primers on drywall. These do a horrible job of sealing the surface. The areas where trim paint is on the drywall will be sealed and this will cause a sheen difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
390 Posts
30 man hours, what kind of sq ft are we talking here???
1800 sf house takes about 10 hrs to mask, prime and paint with time for drying in between not counted, 30 hrs at least to do millwork the right way. If time is an issue, prepaint millwork, doors, base, casing, etc. is a must, prime, finish, let it be installed, fill the holes with the same color patty, roll over the trouble spots, I'd spray. Done. Yeah, and I never backroll.

· Registered
390 Posts
The gloss from the trim on the drywall can create at least two potential issues:

1) the flat paint won't adhere to the trim paint. The trim paint needs to be scuff sanded before the flat paint is applied.

2) many painters use cheap PVA primers on drywall. These do a horrible job of sealing the surface. The areas where trim paint is on the drywall will be sealed and this will cause a sheen difference.
I wouldn't call those guys painters, many drywallers not only use that kind of junk, they spray it on with junk equipment and in junky way, lines, missed areas and thick spots where gun is stopped for few moments. Fixing that kind of "prime" with NC allotted amount of paint and time is nearly impossible.

· Registered
1 Posts
I wouldn't call those guys painters, many drywallers not only use that kind of junk, they spray it on with junk equipment and in junky way, lines, missed areas and thick spots where gun is stopped for few moments. Fixing that kind of "prime" with NC allotted amount of paint and time is nearly impossible.
Has anyone ever heard of painters who prime but want to paint color/final coats ONLY after cabinets and countertops are installed?

· Banned
Residential/commercial painter
40 Posts
I would get the first coat on the walls first as well just because it is more efficient to only have to cut along the baseboards once as opposed to doing it twice. And priming the baseboards first would also save you some time I think. Put em up on some sawhorses and go to town on them. Caulk/fill after installing and put final coats on them. The more time you can save, the happier the GC would be I'm sure.
See. I just don’t quite get that because when you paint the trim, you’re getting it on the wall (knowing you’ll cover it up during your cut in) . So, you’d still need to cut in twice to cover up the trim white (probably satin or semi) that got on the walls. I’d love if this worked though. What am I missing?

· Banned
40 Posts
new construction order

1. After drywallers leave, prime and shoot ceilings

Let trim carpenters do their thing and go somewhere else for a couple weeks.

2. Now that trim is installed, fill and sand all the nail holes.
3. Prime trim
4. Caulk and look over all nail holes, fix imperfections in trim.
5. Spray first finish coat.
6. Light up and fix any imperfection in trim, caulk, nail holes, etc
7. Spray 2nd coat on trim.
8. Paint walls 2 coats
That’s weird that your drywallers don’t prime. Is that normal there?

· Banned
40 Posts
That’s weird that your drywallers don’t prime. Is that normal there?
you are the one and only person that does it exactly as I do. I do tape off the baseboards before rolling because it protects from any drips (I use an 18" so I'm a little more prone to have a few... plus it doubles as making the cut in line down there easier on neck.

141 - 151 of 151 Posts