Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I've always found new construction a bit monotonous, not to mention dirty. 'Here, hold down a gun 8 hours today and have a guy back roll and you can both hang out in a cloud of paint.'

I also prefer interacting with homeowners and the scheduling benefits that go along with it, versus a GC that always wants you there yesterday. Different strokes for different folks though.
The OSHA man will get ya😵

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
It’s been hard for me to find good help on any of the painting projects I’ve taken on. New, old… Outside, inside. Prep, Finish.
That being said, I think the biggest challenge in new construction jobs, from a subcontracting painter’s perspective, is that much of your destiny is dictated by the builder. If a builder is in over his head on a project (inept), or simply doesn’t care (corrupt), than many things will be done incorrectly and/or in the wrong order.

I’ve worked for builders who, for no good reason, had carpeting/flooring installation prior to painting (yes, I know a good painter can keep it clean regardless. But increased difficulty due to a lack of foresight is something I can’t stand for). On one of the new construction jobs I did, the electrician was found to be working without proper licensure. A replacement was not
Found in a timely manner, and I was unable
To finish much of my work (knowing that eventually another electrician would be coming in and butchering the walls). I’ve also seen builders drink/gamble/who-knows-what all of the money devoted to project completion. You can imagine how one that line could turn out.

I do suppose there are ways to prevent yourself from getting screwed in the above scenarios. I, personally, would rather just avoid it altogether.
Every company says that. Turns out people just arn't willing to pay enough for good help. Offer a good wage and you'll get good help

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I haven’t received any applications since last year sometime. In a typical year I receive a couple dozen inquiries throughout the year.

I’ve heard it speculated that the Boomer Generation retired ‘en masse’ during Covid, leaving a worker shortage. That’s certainly one explanation. Differing ideas regarding work/balance from the up-and-coming generations might also account for some of the labor shortages everyone has been experiencing.
Used to be when I was working through college I was beholden to my job working retail and a measley 25 cent raise every year. Wish I had gotten wise and realized I had all the bargaining power to demand a raise or leave. Not sure what it's like in your area but around here taco bells new sign is starting at 23/hour plus benefits insurance, 401k and you get to work in a nice air conditioning and only drive through is open. Meanwhile I had to have a discussion with another painter paying his guys $25/hour no benefits that he needs to raise his pay else lose his crew. Starting wage here for apprentice painter is 35-40 and if your not advertising at that you probably won't have any applicants at all. 25/hour isn't enough to live here sadly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts