Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
181 - 200 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
Scott, I really do think you are right about this, all I'm saying is, in times like now, it just floats a lot of issues to the top. Don't you think?
John

I do think it is a sign of the times. The traffic pt is seeing is certainly reflective of that, and some of the perspectives are too. The other day when the wisest of painters made another soliloquy about how the big guys are crumbling and that he was seizing his market, complete with his $18/hr cash, no overhead and a family larger than he can support in toe, it became clear that yes, we have not seen times quite like these before.

There are a few around whose businesses are legit and they are honestly doing better than last year or the year before. Those are the ones I gravitate to. Out here in the forum, sharks patrol these waters, dont let your fingers dangle in the water!

·
"Member"
10,719 Posts
It is interesting to see what contractors are in favor of a member section and those who are not. Those who are, are the ones that usually tend to share the most, and those who are not are the ones usually asking all the questions.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
It is interesting to see what contractors are in favor of a member section and those who are not. Those who are, are the ones that usually tend to share the most, and those who are not are the ones usually asking all the questions.
I really do think a members section would be nice, and it would be something that people could strive to join. I think if it happens it still needs to be a intrical part of paint talk.I don't know how in the world it could happen, but it would be nice to see PT have a higher lever of professional painters, and maybe it would cut down on some of the frustrations we all feel, making this forum have less personal put downs.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
With that said, I really don't think we can police the whole internet from hacks getting free advise.We can help discourage them from the life of hack hood though with good advise on why not to be a painter I guess.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
The problem with a chat room is that the discussion disappears when everyone logs off. A forum keeps a thread which is handy for reference and for when others come into the conversation late.
In looking for a FREE chatroom in which our chapter could discuss meeting agenda ideas, I found chatzy.com

It's FREE
You can invite whom you want
password protected if you want
You can save the posts
The room stays open until there is no posts after (I think) ten days
it's FREE

and (did I mention ?) there are no costs involved.

If someone wants a chat room, this is a very viable option.

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
Bill

If I am understanding you correctly you would rather refer members elsewhere who would prefer less poluted waters than to attempt to accomodate them in this setting? Be careful what you wish for, you could end up with a bunch of members who are much more "interesting" than what you currently have! I am guessing that your suggestion is more friendly and genuine than is born of your official capacity here on the sight. Right?

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
I agree, and I am sure he gets sick of the crap here more than we do, and being a moderator is truly a thankless job, thats why I wanted clarification. I would hate to see us lose more good quality posters if the board takes a "if you dont like it, leave" stance, or anything that appears to be that.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Ok, forget about the "private section". It is probably too difficult to implement.

What do people think about just requiring new members to post a detailed bio regarding their painting experience?

This wouldn't require any oversight, voting, etc.

Obviously they wouldn't have to post any phone numbers or company names etc if they didn't want to provide that info, so they wouldn't have any legitimate reason to not want to fill out a bio.

But I think even just asking people to do that would eliminate a ton of problems right from the start. And if some fakers did post a bio we could see through it a mile a way.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I would think there would have to be like a 10 questions form you would have to fill out in order to proceed to the next what ever thing right?Maybe that would have people thinking if it was worth it or not.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I would think there would have to be like a 10 questions form you would have to fill out in order to proceed to the next what ever thing right?Maybe that would have people thinking if it was worth it or not.
This is a good Idea, but it is a lot of work for the site owners, because there would be all kinds of debate as to what the questions should be, then they would have to implement the form etc.

Requiring new members to post a detailed self-written bio, means the new member does the work, and in their own words it would b easy to spot fakers.

The goal is to get them to write in detail, just by what they write, it will be simple to tell how much experience they have, or if they are completely full of sh*t.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Bill

If I am understanding you correctly you would rather refer members elsewhere who would prefer less poluted waters than to attempt to accomodate them in this setting? Be careful what you wish for, you could end up with a bunch of members who are much more "interesting" than what you currently have! I am guessing that your suggestion is more friendly and genuine than is born of your official capacity here on the sight. Right?

Scott,

Sorry if I gave the impression of what I would "rather". Or more correctly that I would "rather refer" members elsewhere. As I stated I am ambivalent toward a section or a forum or any other iteration that would create a separation of all participants. (HEY, you know I'm a bleeding heart lib-er-al :no: ).

I am not "wishing" for anything, except respect for others and the profession . . . and maybe for a little harmony.

What I'm trying to express is that I sincerely doubt any kind of solution to the many variables suggested here will come to fruition as an off shoot of PT.

If Nathan wishes to set up something that satisfies the wishes expressed here, then obviously I would welcome them.

And equally obviously, I can not speak for him nor promise anything in his name.

Please be assured that I have NO control over what will happen, but I would be more than happy to help make anything work.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
This is a good Idea, but it is a lot of work for the site owners, because there would be all kinds of debate as to what the questions should be, then they would have to implement the form etc.

Requiring new members to post a detailed self-written bio, means the new member does the work, and in their own words it would b easy to spot fakers.

The goal is to get them to write in detail, just by what they write, it will be simple to tell how much experience they have, or if they are completely full of sh*t.

I think you and I have said the same thing in different words

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Bill is a good guy, wanting to help in any way he can. He is also one of us.
I agree, and I am sure he gets sick of the crap here more than we do, and being a moderator is truly a thankless job, thats why I wanted clarification. I would hate to see us lose more good quality posters if the board takes a "if you dont like it, leave" stance, or anything that appears to be that.
All moderators thank you and all others who understand and appreciate the role we play.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I know that I might or might not be considered one of the guys here. I am trying my damnedest to figure out the new landscape of this economy and how someone who strives to put out the best product possible is able to compete with the less than concerned lowball crowd. I want to share my knowledge of what I know, but don't want my experience to fall into the ears/minds of those who will take those hard learned lessons of blood/sweat/anguish/not eating and run with it to help them destroy what I am trying to build. Too bad it couldn't just be for us professionals, and not the h/o who have found out that if they come onto a professional forum they can pose like us and then figure out the answers to all their questions to save them money = us loosing work we should be doing for their properties sake.

I spoke with my auto/home insurance agent on friday. He just built a house and told me that he is "just going to paint it himself, found a titan 440 online for $579.00 shipped.. got a roller attachment too.." He told me that he is going to rent a lift and have his house done in 4 hours. I just shook my head. He also plans to laquer and stain all his kitchen cabinets and trim himself. People are just stupid and want everything for nothing. Far different from when the folks from WWII era were in their hayday. They knew that hard work and dedication are hard lived/learned and that you respect those who did take the time to learn what they did. I am an old soul in a young body. Sometimes I feel I was put in the wrong time.

181 - 200 of 219 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.