Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 160 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Nobody is unhappy with the place is being run. Maybe you didn't notice the title of this particular board? Have a quick peek.

The thread isn't about DIYers it's about hacks.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Of course you feel this way. You have the most to gain with nothing relevant to offer because you are new to the trade. I am sure in time you will.

I would rather spend the time to educate someone like yourself that has made a financial commitment to help the trade overall. I do believe that by not helping new companies learn that we are hurting our own trade. The more professional companies we have, charging correctly and perfoming paint jobs correctly, the better off we all are as a industry.

That being said look at my post from 5:28 today ....It has nothing to do with being an elitist, it would just be nice to know who your audience is that we are sharing with.

I did check out your earlier post and thought it has some decent insight. I don't agree that I have the most to gain. If you review nearly all of my posts and replies, I am not seeking technical advice (i.e. Should I tint the primer if we are painting a rich color). Most of the time I am just looking for marketing ideas and debates on which are the best.

I agree, it would be nice to know your audience. However, I think you get to know your audience by communicating with them not some script they must complete. IMO.

·
"Member"
10,719 Posts
I did check out your earlier post and thought it has some decent insight. I don't agree that I have the most to gain. If you review nearly all of my posts and replies, I am not seeking technical advice (i.e. Should I tint the primer if we are painting a rich color). Most of the time I am just looking for marketing ideas and debates on which are the best.

I agree, it would be nice to know your audience. However, I think you get to know your audience by communicating with them not some script they must complete. IMO.

Sure, and after 250 posts we should have a pretty good idea who someone is. You have 280 and I am just now getting a handle on you. I have more respect for you after going a few rounds and finding out more about you than I did in your first 100 posts when you were just another franchise looking to bleed a free resource.

I am not saying that members should not participate in all of the existing threads .....just an additional one that is a members only section for good private business convo. This is why the post count is the only logical way to do it ....250 is nothing for a count but just enough where a fly by nighter will not stick it out. A post count has no prejudice over who is deemed more professional or not. No elitism or NEPSism like wise would like to think. Just a way for guys like us that care about our industry to have conversations about the trade without the general public viewing them ....thats all.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Sure, and after 250 posts we should have a pretty good idea who someone is. You have 280 and I am just now getting a handle on you. I have more respect for you after going a few rounds and finding out more about you than I did in your first 100 posts when you were just another franchise looking to bleed a free resource.

I am not saying that members should not participate in all of the existing threads .....just an additional one that is a members only section for good private business convo. This is why the post count is the only logical way to do it ....250 is nothing for a count but just enough where a fly by nighter will not stick it out. A post count has no prejudice over who is deemed more professional or not. No elitism or NEPSism like wise would like to think. Just a way for guys like us that care about our industry to have conversations about the trade without the general public viewing them ....thats all.
Neps - I think I understand where you are coming from. But the rub lies in the above bolded, red. PT is a public forum and IMO that is what makes it great. I just don't want a public forum to be censored or "specialized". I read where you and VT are part of a private forum. Why not use that to have your private conversations. PM the folks on this board (that you consider professional) and have them included in that private session / forum. To me, that seems like a viable solution. Right?

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Just for the record I was only talking about one additional section ....not the entire site. I am still not sure what the big deal is to have a section for senior members to exchange ideas. It has nothing to do with how professional you are or how much you know in any specific area of the painting business. It is only meant to be blocked for non members and the few that cruize through here looking for the silver bullet. Make it 500 posts ....or 250. Just enough to keep the fly by nighter out. Another forum I am a member in (the same one VP mentioned) along with the company info in the signature line you also have to be logged in to see any of the business and maketing threads. They are not open to the public. Sure a hack could still get a membership and see the info but it is just one more filter to deter a fly by nighter.

I also think that some of the arguments and banter over certain threads help in the end as well. If they were made private from the general public I think we could have a little more brainstorming and more would participate with out the worry of a public image to be tarnished. It usually takes many stupid ideas and alot of debate to come up with one good solid idea or theory.
Chris, I understand what you seek, I understand what LC seeks, and I'd to think I understand all the variations others seek.

I am ambivolent about them all.

What I am trying to get across today is that I "think" there is little chance of any of this happening on PT. It ain't my ballgame, it ain't my field, and I did not even bring the ball. So, what I want has little consequence.

I am trying to offer a solution to the probelms others have. Although I would not have expressed what Biker did in the manner he expressed it, I do give him: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

He cut to the chase.

·
"Member"
10,719 Posts
Neps - I think I understand where you are coming from. But the rub lies in the above bolded, red. PT is a public forum and IMO that is what makes it great. I just don't want a public forum to be censored or "specialized". I read where you and VT are part of a private forum. Why not use that to have your private conversations. PM the folks on this board (that you consider professional) and have them included in that private session / forum. To me, that seems like a viable solution. Right?
Your missing the point. This has nothing to do with making PT private. Keep the site as is. I love .....why do think I am here every day. I enjoy reading and fighting with you guys. All am is saying is that the addition to a members only thread could be a nice addition.

VP and I are not members of a private forum. It is a public forum that is run very tighly and efficiently. It is not a painting forum but I think it would be disrespectful to the PT owners and mods to publicize the forum.

·
"Member"
10,719 Posts
Chris, I understand what you seek, I understand what LC seeks, and I'd to think I understand all the variations others seek.

I am ambivolent about them all.

What I am trying to get across today is that I "think" there is little chance of any of this happening on PT. It ain't my ballgame, it ain't my field, and I did not even bring the ball. So, what I want has little consequence.

I am trying to offer a solution to the probelms others have. Although I would not have expressed what Biker did in the manner he expressed it, I do give him: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

He cut to the chase.
Biker did go a little over the edge tho ....nothing that I was implying.

How about this ......a simple chat room that you need to have a qualifying post count in order to view or join?

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Your missing the point. This has nothing to do with making PT private. Keep the site as is. I love .....why do think I am here every day. I enjoy reading and fighting with you guys. All am is saying is that the addition to a members only thread could be a nice addition.

VP and I are not members of a privete forum. It is a public forum that is run very tighly and efficiently. It is not a painting forum but I think it would be disrespectful to the PT owners and mods to publicize the forum.
I know you enjoy the bantering. I think most of us do as well. Absolutely agree that you should not publicise the forum. Do it in email. Doesn't thta solve the issues most are talking about?

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
No elitism or NEPSism like wise would like to think.
After reading your many posts I have come to believe you own Paint Talk and the entire internet.

awesome!

Just a way for guys like us that care about our industry to have conversations about the trade without the general public viewing them ....thats all.
Why can't you do that now, are you afraid the "general public" will steal your secrets?
Ha.
Maybe you should name your new painter's site "Guys like us"!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
How about this ......a simple chat room that you need to have a qualifying post count in order to view or join?

The problem with a chat room is that the discussion disappears when everyone logs off. A forum keeps a thread which is handy for reference and for when others come into the conversation late.

·
"Member"
10,719 Posts
I know you enjoy the bantering. I think most of us do as well. Absolutely agree that you should not publicise the forum. Do it in email. Doesn't thta solve the issues most are talking about?
I already email with a few members that I learn from on a daily basis. My business has grown more because of it.

Your like talking to my wife. If I say the sky is blue you'll say its gray. She'll ask me if I want chicken or steak ....I'll say steak and she'll make chicken. You just like to argue for the sake of it. Even when people offer you legitimate advice you need to create fault with it.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Biker did go a little over the edge tho ....nothing that I was implying.

I don't think BB went even close to the edge. He simply stated his / her opinion about most of the posts. I think this forum needs more of that. If you look at the number of viewers on any given topic, there are usually a ton. But, yet there are only a few that actively participate. This is not directed at anyone specific but why do y'all think more folks view vs. participate in the conversations. I sure wish they would. And, I believe I am still on topic. Let me know if I am not.

·
"Member"
10,719 Posts
After reading your many posts I have come to believe you own Paint Talk and the entire internet.

awesome!

Why can't you do that now, are you afraid the "general public" will steal your secrets?
Ha.
Maybe you should name your new painter's site "Guys like us"!

:thumbup:

Your awsome!!!!

Who you stealing internet from tonight?

·
Born To Be Mild
4,956 Posts
Just a thought... How do you know there isn't already an 'invite only' section?

:jester:

Because you have yet to invite me big boy! ;)

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I already email with a few members that I learn from on a daily basis. My business has grown more because of it.

Your like talking to my wife. If I say the sky is blue you'll say its gray. She'll ask me if I want chicken or steak ....I'll say steak and she'll make chicken. You just like to argue for the sake of it. Even when people offer you legitimate advice you need to create fault with it.
Neps: I have not argued with anyone. Just stated my opinion. Just because it is different from yours doesn't mean it is an argument.

141 - 160 of 219 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.