Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just signed up to paint talk but have read numerous posts over the years. We have two businesses in the Charlotte, NC area.
Our specialties are painting, drywall, popcorn ceiling removal, epoxy floors and stained concrete.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
That's scary AF. I hope you guys are protecting yourself.
I was joking (asbestas...I can tell) I never touched the stuff really myself. Anything before the mid '80's had asbestos in it though. It was banned in the late '70's but stock on hand was grandfathered in so, you have to assume anything pre-1990 is likely asbestos.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I was joking (asbestas...I can tell) I never touched the stuff really myself. Anything before the mid '80's had asbestos in it though. It was banned in the late '70's but stock on hand was grandfathered in so, you have to assume anything pre-1990 is likely asbestos.[/QUOT

You, Sir, are correct, whenever I was on a job in pre 78 buildings and would ask the GC about the demo of the existing walls that were taped with asbestos-containing mud, I was told don't rock the boat!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I was joking (asbestas...I can tell) I never touched the stuff really myself. Anything before the mid '80's had asbestos in it though. It was banned in the late '70's but stock on hand was grandfathered in so, you have to assume anything pre-1990 is likely asbestos.[/QUOT

You, Sir, are correct, whenever I was on a job in pre 78 buildings and would ask the GC about the demo of the existing walls that were taped with asbestos-containing mud, I was told don't rock the boat!
I honestly never thought much about asbestos in mud, in old work. Asbestos was like high-fructose corn syrup today- in freaking everything!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
That's scary AF. I hope you guys are protecting yourself.

I always have removed popcorn by misting it a couple of times with water prior to the scraping phase, either with a pump sprayer or an airless.

So, I can now tell myself that, even if it contained abstestos, I didn't breath in any particles because I made little to no dust, right? I'm going to go with that and hope I didn't cause myself any future problems.

·
Banned
15,692 Posts
I always have removed popcorn by misting it a couple of times with water prior to the scraping phase, either with a pump sprayer or an airless.

So, I can now tell myself that, even if it contained abstestos, I didn't breath in any particles because I made little to no dust, right? I'm going to go with that and hope I didn't cause myself any future problems.
Not to worry John, California's state rock is the Asbestos containing Serpentine. And we're supposedly considered pretty healthy here *cough*

I know I have been exposed to asbestos numerous times in my career. Fortunately, I've tried to practice good work place hygiene and have avoided smoking as much as possible. And although there are stories of incidental exposure causing acute asbestos related symptoms, like the one where a child was affected by the break pads his father was changing, it is rare. Chronic symptoms are usually associated with heavy prolonged exposure.

It is always recommended to handle materials suspected of containing asbestos, as if they contained asbestos. Safety measures simply require materials from becoming airborne and the use of proper PPE. Plus, contractors should take the time to plan and to test suspected materials before running head first into a project.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts