Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I am a painter in New Jersey I work for someone and the money is good, but as I'm sure most of you know New Jersey is not the greatest/easiest place to live. I grew up here minus one year I lived on NC. The money is great in NJ but I do want to move to Florida and leave NJ behind for good and start my own Painting business. I know you can make it anywhere it's all a mindset and your work ethic that determines your success. With that being said I'm looking for anybody that has relocated to Florida from another state or someone from Florida that has started there own business and how good business is down there. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
As the saying goes, the grass is always greener on the other side. Are you willing to work for less money in Florida? You most likely will! The weather is better except for the numerous hurricanes, but hey, some people like it windy.

·
Super Moderator
6,980 Posts
As the saying goes, the grass is always greener on the other side. Are you willing to work for less money in Florida? You most likely will! The weather is better except for the numerous hurricanes, but hey, some people like it windy.
I was told that when I made the move from PA to to SC 6 years ago. In reality I can get almost double what I was and the cost of living is way cheaper. Throw in that there no real slow time here and it's a win all the way around. Moving from the Poconos was hands down the best decision I've ever made.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
RePaintFlorida.com
1,768 Posts
I've been in Florida 35+ years & in the painting trade the whole time. After traveling all over Fl settled in Central Fl for 20 years now

Just like everywhere things have changed but here's what i see now, i'm based in Orlando

Residential repaints:
The good ... Tons of work, lot of homeowner here spending money painting homes, both interior & exteriors.
The bad ... Too many "painters" working cheap. Chasing a dollar and not earning a dollar. Plenty of HO will pay good but when so many painters are working cheap the HO think your too high. I would say 90% of painters are great painters but lousy business owners.

Sure these guys go out of business soon but there are 2 more to take his place. They go out of business too but again more to take their place and this keep the price low

Sherwin Williams don't help much, 30% off all month this month for HO so that cuts into your profit ( no mark up for you on paint) HO buying paint is a disaster for a painter. And SW does this so much HO will wait till a sale

Next ... employees, hard to find and they want to be paid on time & fair wage. i think finding good painters are one of the hardest things any small business has

Now can you make money in Florida painting? YES and some very good money
just need to run it like a business, quality workmanship pays, steady work & living wages keeps painters working for you, know your cost , have money in bank to get you rolling and sell to the HO willing to pay, don't cut prices thinking you'll make it up on the next one and understand it take time to build a business & name but once you do that we work year round and found the right market to make a profit ... not just wages

good luck and if you make it to Fl look me up

·
Administrator
20,077 Posts
I've been in Florida 35+ years & in the painting trade the whole time. After traveling all over Fl settled in Central Fl for 20 years now

Just like everywhere things have changed but here's what i see now, i'm based in Orlando

Residential repaints:
The good ... Tons of work, lot of homeowner here spending money painting homes, both interior & exteriors.
The bad ... Too many "painters" working cheap. Chasing a dollar and not earning a dollar. Plenty of HO will pay good but when so many painters are working cheap the HO think your too high. I would say 90% of painters are great painters but lousy business owners.

Sure these guys go out of business soon but there are 2 more to take his place. They go out of business too but again more to take their place and this keep the price low

Sherwin Williams don't help much, 30% off all month this month for HO so that cuts into your profit ( no mark up for you on paint) HO buying paint is a disaster for a painter. And SW does this so much HO will wait till a sale

Next ... employees, hard to find and they want to be paid on time & fair wage. i think finding good painters are one of the hardest things any small business has

Now can you make money in Florida painting? YES and some very good money
just need to run it like a business, quality workmanship pays, steady work & living wages keeps painters working for you, know your cost , have money in bank to get you rolling and sell to the HO willing to pay, don't cut prices thinking you'll make it up on the next one and understand it take time to build a business & name but once you do that we work year round and found the right market to make a profit ... not just wages

good luck and if you make it to Fl look me up
This thread brought to mind a recent phone call from some very close friends who are moving to Florida (Ocala). They needed some accent walls and two bathrooms painted different colors in the new house they are having built. They somehow connected with a guy who gave them a ridiculously low price (in their opinion and based on prices out here). They jumped on his bid and he did a great job for them. When they told me about it I was left shaking my head wondering how anyone could stay in business and make any kind of decent living giving away their work like that.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Long Island paint company owner looking to relocate to Florida and all I can say is “Just Do It”! What do you have to lose?

I’m doing the same thing, having made the decision two weeks ago to relocate to Sarasota from Long Island. Just started sprucing up my house a couple of weeks ago so I can get it listed for sale.

Luckily I have an existing network of NYC and Hampton based interior designers & architects who have satellite offices, businesses, and showrooms in both the Sarasota & West Palm Beach locations ,so I’m not too worried with the thought of relocating.

I’ve received more inquiry for projects in Florida than in NY the past couple of years, all of which I’ve turned down due to logistics. I recently did a pro-bono finishing consultation for a tremendous Gulf Coast project that I initially had no interest in doing...rethinking that with life’s new plan...

A client on my current project is contemplating building a second vacation home in Sarasota as well. Even a buddy of mine from NY, just to test out the market, rented booth space to display his wares at a trade show for design professionals in Florida, and generated a ton of business in the West Palm Beach area. I got a call from him a few weeks ago asking me if I’d be interested in doing a millwork/cabinet finishing project in West Palm Beach.

From the little research I’ve done the past two weeks, it appears that most jurisdictions in Florida don’t require licensing for painting. Industrial shop space is relatively inexpensive as well. I was also looking into setting up a fixed location millwork finishing/spray business, and the state’s EPA requirements seem pretty lax in comparison to other states.

I was looking on Indeed to see what painting businesses were paying employees and it seems like most companies on the Gulf Coast are paying $17/hr +. On Long Island I’m paying experienced mechanics anywhere from $30-$42/hr. Add insurances and payroll overhead (~35%) onto that number and a $42/hr mechanic costs me upwards $450/day..I’m asking myself..seriously???

The cost of living for me will be 75% less. It’s pretty much a win-win no brainer. Having lived & interned at Walt Disney World as a college student when I was younger, Florida holds many fond memories. I’m absolutely energized with the idea. My only dilemma is having work contacts on both the Gulf and Atlantic Coasts...I guess those on the East Coast will have to pay for accommodations and a per diem....??

Good luck with your decision..!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I can’t say much about the job market in Florida, because I work in real estate now.

·
Administrator
20,077 Posts
Old post. He’s most likely either moved by now or...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts