Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Custom Cabinet Shop
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all... I work in a small commercial cabinet shop. We have been primarily a frameless panel processor (panel saws
and CNC routing) for 20 years, using laminates in house, and subbing out paint for paint grade installations. In order to expand our capabilities and adapt to changes in local demand, we're adding painting in house. Since we are a panel processor, we're painting (almost exclusively) MDF components. Our intent was to stay with water borne but had NO IDEA how difficult it would be to get a repeatable quality finish. "Respect" to those who can! Now trying precat. We'd appreciate some insight and will post accordingly.

Kind Regards.

Registered
Independent Painting Contractor
Welcome to PT! 馃
I think a great deal depends on the primer choices. Once that is settled, finish coats should be consistent. Personally I prefer oil primers on MDF. What kind of precat are you presently using?

Registered
Custom Cabinet Shop
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Jennifer and thank you for the "welcome!" I posted a lengthy descriptive post in the General Painting forum. To answer your specific question, we're trying Gemini and SW Sherwood.

Premium Member
Ilva poly barrier sealer, followed by a polyester undercoater, and finished off with a 2K acrylic urethane鈥

Welcome to the forum

Registered
Hello all... I work in a small commercial cabinet shop. We have been primarily a frameless panel processor (panel saws
and CNC routing) for 20 years, using laminates in house, and subbing out paint for paint grade installations. In order to expand our capabilities and adapt to changes in local demand, we're adding painting in house. Since we are a panel processor, we're painting (almost exclusively) MDF components. Our intent was to stay with water borne but had NO IDEA how difficult it would be to get a repeatable quality finish. "Respect" to those who can! Now trying precat. We'd appreciate some insight and will post accordingly.

Kind Regards.
Centurion 1107 and 2800 series topcoat. Great material. Upgrade your equipment first!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts