Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:I am a property manager for a large owner of commercial properties in Sacramento. So I do my fair share of painting. And I paint on the side also.
I have a big problem, I have a 8000 sq ft space , that I did in with KM latex enamel, eggshell, "frost". I had used the same paint before, didnt really like it, but , after I learned how to use it , I grew fond of it. I used it for this entire building with no problems whatsoever, some of the walls were bare texture , dry wall . so I used PVA ( behr) and had no problem at all.

THE BATHROOMS-----both are only 150 sq ft each with FRP half way up all walls. Existing Paint = ( i dont know) it looked slicker than snot , so I TSP'd (no rinse) the heck out oif em and used white Behr regular water based primer, ( let it dry for ,,oh 20 hours,, then hit it with the eggshell and the Grayco, it looked GREAT ! two little runs... so me ,, being a smart dude , hit it with a roller ., right when the boss walked in, he had me roll the whole deal,. screwed it all up . it had a gloss and it was nice and thick , it looked great... after i finished rolling it it looked OK but then it didnt cover . it lost its gloss, and of course the boss started blaming everything i did ,,, not to worry , he is one of my best friends and i could care less what he thinks.But i do want this stupid bathroom to come out. I finally figured out , that the existing paint might have been , oil based ,,?? anyway i have to go fix this in a couple of hours ,, HELP!!!!!!!!!
thanks
JD

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to meet you too!
oh sorry :
Im jD , live in Sac, pretty much paint for a living , but have no idea what i am doing , really , but am learning a lot and Im interested in doing a good job. So.. that be why Im here , you guys seem to know what your doing , I have learned so much by reading and swallowing my super large , big a** ego.. This being the first time, Ive asked for any direct advice . Primarily , because I am at a complete loss and would like to get this project done. So yeah-- Pleased to meet you too.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Roll over the old paint with a water based semi gloss, and don't let your Boss in until you are finished!
Spraying such a small area is not advised.

Use KrudKutter Gloss Off on the current surface to knock down the sheen (gloss).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the outcome of this fiasco was , , a latex eggshell , that didnt cover , and lost its gloss.So .....? Do I prime it again with a water based primer or oil?, or just shoot it with the eggshell again and pray everything comes out ok?,, I have no idea , Ive shot my deal on this one, .....???? I could sand the heck out it and start over?? , I would to see if i can just shoot it and have some chance, even if small.. that it will work, >?? Ill probably do it anyway .. unless someone has experienced something like this and will shed some wisdoim my way??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok ill do that then,, he wont come in till about noon , so im safe ,, thx
oh a rollin i will go .,...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Eggshell does not really have a Gloss. If you are looking for a Glossy finish then use Gloss. Look at a Egg. No shine. The eggshell finish will have a gloss when it is wet and then go to a dull eggshell finish when dry. From what I read in your post, this is what I took it as anyway. If I'm wrong then sorry. I'm working on a FireProofing job quote and just had to get over on PaintTalk.com to see what was going on. :whistling2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I have learned more , now. I didnt know that eggshell was not a gloss finish. It would have been easy to argue that point. It has been driving me crazy as I have painted probably 100 gallons of this same paint and it does just that , gloss when wet but gets duller and less coverage when it dries at least that is what my experience has been.
I really do not like the paint for my applications and when i learn more about these things I am sure I will quit using this irratating paint . Anyways ,, thanks WP , cause I went in and taped up that little bathroom and shot the hell our of it ( carefully ) light coats each time , three of em and it turned out great. So what can i say ?? how about thank you?
I even got a "atta boy" from the boss.
so we spent a whole two seconds on that part of the project instead of two hours thanks to you guys.

·
Registered
157 Posts
eggshell should get shinier the more coats your apply thats just my experience though. it really is the worst sheen to work with

1 - 14 of 14 Posts