Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
To avoid any confusion, I must say that I am not a professional painter: I'm actually a [mechanical] engineering student at Tufts University. My final design project is to build some sort of robot/device to make professional painters' lives easier.

I joined this forum so I could connect with some professionals--most information on the internet is geared toward DIY-ers, and doesn't speak much about large-scale painting jobs.

I'm interested in identifying problems commonly faced on the jobsite.
What parts of the prepping/painting process would you like to see improved?
Are there certain architectural-features that are especially difficult or time-consuming to paint?
My team is still in the pre-planning phase since we haven't figured out what specific painting task we should tackle. This definitely wouldn't be for the consumer market, it would be for use by pros. Anything y'all have to say would be helpful--you guys are the ones with the experience :notworthy:

·
Registered
586 Posts
All due respect, but I don't see you being able to address a problem and create a solution without first hand insight to the problem to be addressed. With that being said, good luck.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Hi everyone,
To avoid any confusion, I must say that I am not a professional painter: I'm actually a [mechanical] engineering student at Tufts University. My final design project is to build some sort of robot/device to make professional painters' lives easier.

I joined this forum so I could connect with some professionals--most information on the internet is geared toward DIY-ers, and doesn't speak much about large-scale painting jobs.

I'm interested in identifying problems commonly faced on the jobsite.
What parts of the prepping/painting process would you like to see improved?
Are there certain architectural-features that are especially difficult or time-consuming to paint?
My team is still in the pre-planning phase since we haven't figured out what specific painting task we should tackle. This definitely wouldn't be for the consumer market, it would be for use by pros. Anything y'all have to say would be helpful--you guys are the ones with the experience :notworthy:

Start out by making a robot that can move a fully extended 40' ladder......then get back to us and we will give you another job for your robot

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I'm a professional painter, and will be taking mechanical engineering next year.

Here's one for you.

Solve: Multi profile sanding - one pass, on a piece of MDF casing with up to 8 holes (1/16") per sq inch. The sanding sponge works wonders for this, but i'm betting you could come up with something that would incorporate the flexibility of the sanding sponge with the speed of a mechanical sanding device.

Dremel tools and profile sanders are inadequate, and often damage the profiles they are intended to work on.

Or - solve: produce an extension for a spray gun that solves spraying with a handheld spray gun with a spray fan width of 4", an interior of an 18" deep cabinet that is only 4" wide and 4" high. i.e., a spray attachment that will produce exacting results in less than perfect scenarios.

Or - solve: Produce a method of applying caulking to newly installed casings that is faster than a caulking gun, and eliminates the need to mold caulked corners by mechanical methods.

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
How about:
Hinged walls for anything over one story...so they could be spun around and painted in safety and comfort, from inside the house.

then..

blue tape that sticks to stuff.

That's all I got. It's early, maybe I can think of more later.

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
How about like an superhero painter robot that is like a modern day macgyver alchemist capable of taking the cheapest bunch of crap and do literally unbelievable things. Make the robot so fast that its actions cannot be accounted for by standard units of measure, such as time.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
How about like an superhero painter robot that is like a modern day macgyver alchemist capable of taking the cheapest bunch of crap and do literally unbelievable things. Make the robot so fast that its actions cannot be accounted for by standard units of measure, such as time.

already done

(but you were just setting that one up, right?)

Reactions: jenni

·
17,820 Posts
That's top secret.

I can tell you it happened but not show you how to do it lol.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
No, I want a tragic hero painter robot superhero. One that is plagued by absurd skills and knowledge that mortals cant even comprehend. Almost like an alien tragic hero superhero painter robot, I guess.
Hmmmmm, sounds like a few past members here, well maybe just one with an identity problem

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
Hmmmmm, sounds like a few past members here, well maybe just one with an identity problem
The college pro model would never work. That many robots together would be impossible. They would get tasks and projects to happen so fast that they would take no time at all, or worse, negative time. Like the job could be done the day before they even start. That would be impossible.

Just one tragic superhero painter robot is enough.

·
The Titan Guy
76 Posts
PowrRam 251 Caulk Pump

I'm a professional painter, and will be taking mechanical engineering next year.

Here's one for you.

Solve: Multi profile sanding - one pass, on a piece of MDF casing with up to 8 holes (1/16") per sq inch. The sanding sponge works wonders for this, but i'm betting you could come up with something that would incorporate the flexibility of the sanding sponge with the speed of a mechanical sanding device.

Dremel tools and profile sanders are inadequate, and often damage the profiles they are intended to work on.

Or - solve: produce an extension for a spray gun that solves spraying with a handheld spray gun with a spray fan width of 4", an interior of an 18" deep cabinet that is only 4" wide and 4" high. i.e., a spray attachment that will produce exacting results in less than perfect scenarios.

Or - solve: Produce a method of applying caulking to newly installed casings that is faster than a caulking gun, and eliminates the need to mold caulked corners by mechanical methods.
Apply caulking faster than a caulk gun. :thumbup: Solved with Titan's Speeflo PowrRam251. This air powered unit will pump caulking from a 5 gallon bucket (yes, you can buy caulk in 5's) down a hose thru a gun and extension.
With a price tag of $5,000 you better have a lot of caulking to do.

Titan also has a full line of extensions from 6" to 6' for your airless gun to paint the inside of cabinets.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Apply caulking faster than a caulk gun. :thumbup: Solved with Titan's Speeflo PowrRam251. This air powered unit will pump caulking from a 5 gallon bucket (yes, you can buy caulk in 5's) down a hose thru a gun and extension.
With a price tag of $5,000 you better have a lot of caulking to do.
Speeflo PowrRam 251 - YouTube

Titan also has a full line of extensions from 6" to 6' for your airless gun to paint the inside of cabinets.
geeze guys thats a LOT of money for a little caulk !:rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts