Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi everyone, just registered and thought id give ya alittle info on me .

Thanks by the way for having me, I was just browsing the web and came along the site and said wth, since im reading a lot of stuff here maybe i should register, plus i actually may be able to help some one too, because i sure like to ask questions alot also .

okay Intro:Ive ran a fairly successfull painting and restoration company for 24 yrs now .I've had a lot of ups and downs but love all types of painting. Imo there is nothing like transforming a home to something gorgeous. I've always loved the end result and loved pleasing my customers also [although theyre not all always happy ive tried my best ,when u deal with hundreds of customers in a year sometimes its hard to make em all happy]

We have done it all seems like. I started with a grand am car and my first ladder i bought with my down payment on top of it lol.seriously tho.

My first homes I did were some pretty historical homes I painted exteriors of in a place in Saratoga Springs called Franklin Square . I did the first house with oil paint and a priced it out side by side .Then the guy liked my ambition and gave me all his properties in the square.

I went on to paint new construction for a contractor and worked my [email protected]# off to succeed, cheap blow and goes but i did volume and put out literally hundreds of homes a year.

Then between losing or getting screwed out of money I decided to go with custom homes and private homeowners, the money was better and work more appreciated. I worked with many elite and well known contractors to get my name around here and received many awards including Green Home and Historical Preservations . I worked my way up the ladder to 20 employees and several crews going.

I always loved the construction trade so i had an opportunity to do a ground up historical preservation job including alot of replication work to bring the entire home back to its original specs. This was a great job and caught my attention, I loved the history involed and learned the ways back in the 1700s. Boy, the appreciation I learned in the way they had to do it then. We havethe luxury of power tools, jigs,and even prefinished stuff delivered to the door, lol they didnt then. It was all knowledge and skill, probably alot of trial and error.

Hence for the last 15 yrs Ramsey Painting and Restoration. This gig made me alot of money in a short time around these parts, everyone's a historical buff in these parts, plus we have the horse races and it's all about the history of this town.

So 2 yrs ago between being so overwhelmed and the stress I SNAPPED. First I had some serious health issues which, I basically needed to eliminate my stress, and my employees lol.

So I semi retired, fondled with some constuction and blew my entire savings on mid life crisis toys and dont give a crap anymore attitude. Dont get me wrong I've always loved my profession it was just the stress,and the not getting paid from my customers that got the best of me. I was just sick and tired of beeing sick and tired ,ya know?

Long story short I've realized that I do love my profession and dearly miss it. Now im in the middle of firing up all over again. My first gig to get rolling here is a very big job, around 2 million sq ft. of commercial housing.

I will be asking for some help because I'm a little rusty and my pricing is probably rusty too. I know pricing is frowned on here so I dont know if maybe some are ok with PM ing me some help if thats ok. I could use it and really need this job to happen. I've got it but I'll be submitting final numbers in the next few days, so you wont hear about numbers then, lol.

Plus, I've done commercial work in the past and plenty of it but nothing this big, I'm open to ideas for questions I'll be asking about new products, performance etc., hopefully I'll be able to help the greenhorns just starting out a few words of advice.

Thanks for having me and look forward to beeing here,

RAMSEY.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol,it took me two hours.my typing skills are not that fast and certainly not perfect.I just thought ide blow it all out of the way now.Im done with long post ,lol i will never probly write that much again.thanks guys ,look forward too bs n with yens.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ramsey, sounds like you have had quite a ride!

You are right about the pricing questions, most of it though is because there is just no way to determine the "correct" price without tons of info. There are several members here that may be able to help you with the numbers on that job via pm, Harry is one that comes to mind, his site is here.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry for the long intro guys.just felt like talking ,its been awhile since i talked paint.i guess my rambling tells u my passion for the paint industry,at least i hope.I guess ive missed it,so please dont take it as bragging ive just had a long rd. and alot of expieriences.lol

·
A Brush Above
4,669 Posts
Welcome from a state down under. Love to hear about the new lead your looking at.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts