Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished painting a ceiling the lower level of a split-level home. After painting with a flat latex I noticed there were two striped areas about 6 inches wide running the width of the room that weren't drying at the same as the rest of ceiling. The central air was on and set for about 77 degrees. At first I thought it was duct work coming from the air handler in the basement that fed ducts up a wall and through the ceiling and into the rooms above. So the ducts passed through the entire ceiling. I came back the next day and although the ceiling now appeared dry, I could still see the stripes. I turned off the A/C and opened some windows, checked a few hours later and could still the stripes, after more analysis it appears this stripes are where the are walls dividing rooms above, so there are probably built-up joists for weight bearing purposes. More info, the house was built in 1967, there is a faint plastered swirl pattern in ceiling that is original to house.
Looking for thoughts/solutions. I have heard of ghosting, I don't believe this is the case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure it's not just shadows from a bulging beam? Is there a fireplace in the house?
While I was painting (25" x 14' room) and was near the opposite end of the room there were definitely two stripes that were still wet (pink color changing paint) while most was dry. Today they aren't wet (pink) anymore but where it was wet I can see a difference, Yes there is a fireplace in the room.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While I was painting (25" x 14' room) and was near the opposite end of the room there were definitely two stripes that were still wet (pink color changing paint) while most was dry. Today they aren't wet (pink) anymore but where it was wet I can see a difference, Yes there is a fireplace in the room.
Your shadow from a bulge comment has me wondering if it could a "reverse sag" the two stripes are most likely a triple joist/beam where the drywall is probably secured pretty good, while the rest of the ceiling is attached to single joist that may have sagged slightly. But even if it is a shadow of some kind, why such a difference in drying time?

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,035 Posts
Put another coat on, I'm sure it will be fine. Looks like someone tagged you as a DIY. Oops. Best of luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.