Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The idea that (almost) nobody will want to work with the subsidized unemployment benefits seems to be true. Case in point, most years I put an ad up for a painter and get around 30 responses within a week, usually 10-20 of them in the first 24 hrs...so I put an ad up two days ago and have had...zero responses. I pay $2 above minimum for people with no experience so not like it's a garbage job...they really need to think wrapping up these subsidies, at least for people with no kids at home..

Gonna be an interesting year!

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,924 Posts
The idea that (almost) nobody will want to work with the subsidized unemployment benefits seems to be true. Case in point, most years I put an ad up for a painter and get around 30 responses within a week, usually 10-20 of them in the first 24 hrs...so I put an ad up two days ago and have had...zero responses. I pay $2 above minimum for people with no experience so not like it's a garbage job...they really need to think wrapping up these subsidies, at least for people with no kids at home..

Ya people are getting a little to comfortable with the handouts eh?! You can guarantee local taxes will be on the rise very soon.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts

I was saying the exact same thing on Friday. I’m lucky to have any help at all this year, and they are being paid way above going rate, and are temporary.
Customers seem understanding that some jobs may not be completed this year.

·
Premium Member
15,453 Posts
Like any marriage, the honeymoon will be over soon. Reality will eventually set in. And like many marriages agreed to on false promises, the one duped will soon be seeking another lover. Consequently, the slacker offspring of this dishonest union, will find themselves floundering while others with integrity succeed.

·
Administrator
20,196 Posts
Just a reminder about keeping politics out of threads. This subject is a good one to have a discussion about, as long as the names of political parties and specific politicians are kept out it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a reminder about keeping politics out of threads. This subject is a good one to have a discussion about, as long as the names of political parties and specific politicians are kept out it.
Like any marriage, the honeymoon will be over soon. Reality will eventually set in. And like many marriages agreed to on false promises, the one duped will soon be seeking another lover. Consequently, the slacker offspring of this dishonest union, will find themselves floundering while others with integrity succeed.
Well put, and I hope you're right.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it's time for UBI. The whole point of inventing a robot to weld cars, for example, is so that we humans can have more free time to enjoy life. Maybe not the popular opinion, but it's my opinion :)
Not sure I'd enjoy having a UBI and not going out and earning my income, maybe i just need more hobbies😊

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor
2,267 Posts
Imagine 20 hours a week, but 40 hours worth of wages. Maybe not possible for all jobs, but we gotta start letting technology give us our free time back.
If only it worked like that, we could've taken it a little easier after the first automobiles were available, after the microchip was mass-produced, after smart phones were in the hands of most, etc.
Unfortunately, it just seems like we end up filling that free time with more tasks to assume until technology relieves us once again and we are relegated, (again), to coming up with new tasks to fill our days. I definitely would prefer the way you mentioned though.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I think it's time for UBI. The whole point of inventing a robot to weld cars, for example, is so that we humans can have more free time to enjoy life. Maybe not the popular opinion, but it's my opinion :)
Unfortunately instead of the sought after star trek fantasy we're more likely headed towards elysium, snowpiercer or more likely gattaca in the near future and we'll thank out trillionare overlords musk and bezos for allowing us the privliave to 'spend' our ubi at their venues. Can't wait!

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,924 Posts
If only it worked like that, we could've taken it a little easier after the first automobiles were available, after the microchip was mass-produced, after smart phones were in the hands of most, etc.
Unfortunately, it just seems like we end up filling that free time with more tasks to assume until technology relieves us once again and we are relegated, (again), to coming up with new tasks to fill our days. I definitely would prefer the way you mentioned though.
The one thing hat hasn't changed much in the last 100 yrs. is Toilet Paper. I wonder if they have a marketing team in a board room, saying "well I'm all out of idea's, how about you Bob"? Nope, got nothing.. Except Charmine. That stuff is nice! :whistle:

·
Premium Member
15,453 Posts
Observation on Technology:

Although computers have been around since the 1940's, user interaction had been limited to mathematicians, scientists and physicists. During the 1970's, business administration began employing the use of computers for word processing and data entry. In the1980's, the general public was introduced to computers by means of entertainment and eventually personal computing at an increasing rate. By 2015, computers had become almost exclusively the medium for trade, entertainment, information, and social interaction.

The problem I see, is the rate of advancement in technology has not allowed the general public to understand, prepare, or really develop a purpose for the use of such a powerful technology. Consequently, usage of these personal devices have defaulted to the lowest common denominator of the common man's psyche, i.e. endless stimulation and an infinite pursuit of the need to know everything. Couple this with caffeine and you begin to understand the neurotic nature of our times.

Unfortunately, technology has advanced to such a degree that digital currency is poised to replace our current monetary system without most people understanding what the hell that means. Especially, the grazing Boomers.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Observation on Technology:

Although computers have been around since the 1940's, user interaction had been limited to mathematicians, scientists and physicists. During the 1970's, business administration began employing the use of computers for word processing and data entry. In the1980's, the general public was introduced to computers by means of entertainment and eventually personal computing at an increasing rate. By 2015, computers had become almost exclusively the medium for trade, entertainment, information, and social interaction.

The problem I see, is the rate of advancement in technology has not allowed the general public to understand, prepare, or really develop a purpose for the use of such a powerful technology. Consequently, usage of these personal devices have defaulted to the lowest common denominator of the common man's psyche, i.e. endless stimulation and an infinite pursuit of the need to know everything. Couple this with caffeine and you begin to understand the neurotic nature of our times.

Unfortunately, technology has advanced to such a degree that digital currency is poised to replace our current monetary system without most people understanding what the hell that means. Especially, the grazing Boomers.
Without quoting too much from kaczynski, its worse than that. Mega corporations have monetized YOU, you are now a product to sell. Take for example the robinhood app that bills its self as bringing trading to the masses. What it actually does is put a 15min delay on your transactions and sell user trading data to high frequency trading firms so they can skim more of your money. Facebooks algorithm set up an account for my infant niece all on its own using biometric facial scans of photos my BIL uploaded. Google has your 24/7 location history and knows when you are walking, driving, looking at your phone, what wifi points you are accessing, scans all your email documents. Phone companies are keeping decades worth of call and text records. NSA has backdoors into all modern computer chips. Local police have 'sting ray' devices to know who is attending protests and round them up later in unmarked vans.

Digital currency will be banned shortly there is just no way the powers that be will allow national currency to be out of their control.

·
Premium Member
15,453 Posts
Without quoting too much from kaczynski, its worse than that. Mega corporations have monetized YOU, you are now a product to sell. Take for example the robinhood app that bills its self as bringing trading to the masses. What it actually does is put a 15min delay on your transactions and sell user trading data to high frequency trading firms so they can skim more of your money. Facebooks algorithm set up an account for my infant niece all on its own using biometric facial scans of photos my BIL uploaded. Google has your 24/7 location history and knows when you are walking, driving, looking at your phone, what wifi points you are accessing, scans all your email documents. Phone companies are keeping decades worth of call and text records. NSA has backdoors into all modern computer chips. Local police have 'sting ray' devices to know who is attending protests and round them up later in unmarked vans.

Digital currency will be banned shortly there is just no way the powers that be will allow national currency to be out of their control.
In my interest to understand more about crypto currency, I listened to Podcast host, Lex Fridman's interview with Robert Breedlove on Bitcoin and decentralization. It was very interesting, although I get the sense that Breedlove has a vested interest in cryptocurrency.

As far as access to my information, I'm not really that concerned my internet searches are leaving bits and pieces of my virtual DNA all over the place for corporate conglomerates to snack on, as long as it doesn't result in actual theft of my property, or physical harm to me or my family. And I suppose that takes a certain amount of internet security savvy and vigilance as long as I continue to shop and socialize online.

I find my techno incredulity lies more with the exaggerated importance placed on Joe Bloes gaming, journalizing, and employment needs rather than my paranoia that governments are spying on my extremely important covert operations.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
In my interest to understand more about crypto currency, I listened to Podcast host, Lex Fridman's interview with Robert Breedlove on Bitcoin and decentralization. It was very interesting, although I get the sense that Breedlove has a vested interest in cryptocurrency.

As far as access to my information, I'm not really that concerned my internet searches are leaving bits and pieces of my virtual DNA all over the place for corporate conglomerates to snack on, as long as it doesn't result in actual theft of my property, or physical harm to me or my family. And I suppose that takes a certain amount of internet security savvy and vigilance as long as I continue to shop and socialize online.

I find my techno incredulity lies more with the exaggerated importance placed on Joe Bloes gaming, journalizing, and employment needs rather than my paranoia that governments are spying on my extremely important covert operations.
Most of the big name proponets of cryptro have vested interest and unlike stocks crypto is unregulated leaving certain entities such as elon musk free to manipulate the market, which is totally fine as long as your not the one left holding the bag at the end of the day.

Just be aware geting into crypto thinking you'll make lots of money who you are going up against. Organized crime and even entire nation states such as North Korea, China and Russia are all heavily invested in this market as it allows them to bypass traditional banking systems. Just one more reason it will be banned (or taxed out of existence) eventually.

·
Premium Member
15,453 Posts
I'm also pretty skeptical about crypto validity.

The point of me bringing it up was to demonstrate the limitations of the common man's understanding of technology even though we believe it necessary to absorbed ourselves in it. In other words, while Joe Bloe is navigating his Navy Seal avatar on virtual missions, and Jane Bloe is prosing emotionally on the plight of being forty via her social media page, dubious characters are manipulating how countries are governed by way of computer code.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I think your wages do have to beat not just unemployment now, but even McDonalds, Dollar Tree, Burger King, whatever, offering probably the same amount (they're paying over minimum to attract people) for frankly a much less physically intensive and dangerous job overall compared to painting. The $2 over minimum with no experience might be barely acceptable for interior work, but exterior especially it's a hard bargain as far as just how labor intensive painting as a job is compared to normal department store or similar work. I would make the argument even working in a warehouse is less labor intensive than painting, and there's plenty of jobs available doing that at Amazon, etc. These corporate jobs as well offer some amount of guaranteed ability to move up in a system, become an assistant manager, etc, if you decide to stay around. Painting is seasonal and sometimes sporadic at best, so they have no job security or really any way to advance by working for you, no? Even if you see what you do as just "gig" or side work for them, there's Ubereats, Doordash, Postmates, etc, that also pay in general around minimum but can be higher, and $2 an hour over minimum isn't unrealistic doing that stuff. You could say "Well, those things need a vehicle" but painting by default also means needing a vehicle unless you pick them up and drive them to the jobs.

I don't mean to say this to be rude, but what in actuality do you offer compared to the big corporate alternatives other people have, nevermind unemployment? I mean sure, unemployment gave people a taste of getting paid more and their "worth" and value, but the writing was on the wall for higher wages for a long time now, as even pre-COVID there were issues with inflation. A gallon of Ben went from $32 in 2016 to $42 in 2019 at my store. Minimum wage did not increase proportionally at that time. It went up 5% when the paint price went up 30%, and this happened for a lot of consumer goods and services. I'm not an economist and can't fix it all, but yeah.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I think your wages do have to beat not just unemployment now, but even McDonalds, Dollar Tree, Burger King, whatever, offering probably the same amount (they're paying over minimum to attract people) for frankly a much less physically intensive and dangerous job overall compared to painting. The $2 over minimum with no experience might be barely acceptable for interior work, but exterior especially it's a hard bargain as far as just how labor intensive painting as a job is compared to normal department store or similar work. I would make the argument even working in a warehouse is less labor intensive than painting, and there's plenty of jobs available doing that at Amazon, etc. These corporate jobs as well offer some amount of guaranteed ability to move up in a system, become an assistant manager, etc, if you decide to stay around. Painting is seasonal and sometimes sporadic at best, so they have no job security or really any way to advance by working for you, no? Even if you see what you do as just "gig" or side work for them, there's Ubereats, Doordash, Postmates, etc, that also pay in general around minimum but can be higher, and $2 an hour over minimum isn't unrealistic doing that stuff. You could say "Well, those things need a vehicle" but painting by default also means needing a vehicle unless you pick them up and drive them to the jobs.

I don't mean to say this to be rude, but what in actuality do you offer compared to the big corporate alternatives other people have, nevermind unemployment? I mean sure, unemployment gave people a taste of getting paid more and their "worth" and value, but the writing was on the wall for higher wages for a long time now, as even pre-COVID there were issues with inflation. A gallon of Ben went from $32 in 2016 to $42 in 2019 at my store. Minimum wage did not increase proportionally at that time. It went up 5% when the paint price went up 30%, and this happened for a lot of consumer goods and services. I'm not an economist and can't fix it all, but yeah.
theres a reason taco bell is the only resturaunt to survive the franchise wars

1 - 20 of 39 Posts