Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
My lead man's cousin is staying with him for a while. He got laid off from some defense company in LosAngeles. He is just a grunt/helper. I offered to put him on payroll for $14/hr and he said he can't, that he makes near $1000 on unemployment??? He said his job may be ready to come back to in September, but what is the incentive to go back to work for these people? I can't pay him cash, as I get paid legit from clients and need the expenses to offset

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
My lead man's cousin is staying with him for a while. He got laid off from some defense company in LosAngeles. He is just a grunt/helper. I offered to put him on payroll for $14/hr and he said he can't, that he makes near $1000 on unemployment??? He said his job may be ready to come back to in September, but what is the incentive to go back to work for these people? I can't pay him cash, as I get paid legit from clients and need the expenses to offset
grunt work is $20 min here. Wendy's is starting at $18

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I think your wages do have to beat not just unemployment now, but even McDonalds, Dollar Tree, Burger King, whatever, offering probably the same amount (they're paying over minimum to attract people) for frankly a much less physically intensive and dangerous job overall compared to painting. The $2 over minimum with no experience might be barely acceptable for interior work, but exterior especially it's a hard bargain as far as just how labor intensive painting as a job is compared to normal department store or similar work. I would make the argument even working in a warehouse is less labor intensive than painting, and there's plenty of jobs available doing that at Amazon, etc. These corporate jobs as well offer some amount of guaranteed ability to move up in a system, become an assistant manager, etc, if you decide to stay around. Painting is seasonal and sometimes sporadic at best, so they have no job security or really any way to advance by working for you, no? Even if you see what you do as just "gig" or side work for them, there's Ubereats, Doordash, Postmates, etc, that also pay in general around minimum but can be higher, and $2 an hour over minimum isn't unrealistic doing that stuff. You could say "Well, those things need a vehicle" but painting by default also means needing a vehicle unless you pick them up and drive them to the jobs.

I don't mean to say this to be rude, but what in actuality do you offer compared to the big corporate alternatives other people have, nevermind unemployment? I mean sure, unemployment gave people a taste of getting paid more and their "worth" and value, but the writing was on the wall for higher wages for a long time now, as even pre-COVID there were issues with inflation. A gallon of Ben went from $32 in 2016 to $42 in 2019 at my store. Minimum wage did not increase proportionally at that time. It went up 5% when the paint price went up 30%, and this happened for a lot of consumer goods and services. I'm not an economist and can't fix it all, but yeah.
I think working as a painter has a lot to offer. Learning a trade, working outdoors all spring and summer, and doing somewhat physical work is very appealing to a lot of people. It's hard work (at times), and it's not for everyone. In most years I have 20 to 30 applicants, and this year now I've had two so far. I don't think it's so much the job as it is the external conditions with unemployment benefits Etc

A lot of the other jobs you mentioned many people arent interested in. Fast food, door dash etc, advancing within a corporate structure etc.. I've had several people work for me who held jobs like this in the past and told me how much more they enjoyed painting than these other types. But again it's not for everybody.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
grunt work is $20 min here. Wendy's is starting at $18
California is weird, its is crazy expensive to live here, rent is astronomical, taxes are insane high, but wages IMO are extremely low. My lead makes $30 and his right hand man $25. Our helpers $16 & $13. My bids are not crazy high, they cover costs plus a small profit and often times I am get underbid by a lot. I would love to pay an extra $10/hr to all my guys, but I can't recoup that on any job. Labor alone is killing all my profits this year, now the paint prices are going up at least 10%.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
I decided to approach the worker shortage this year by explaining to the customers the situation up front. Around here there is also a shortage of available tradesman, so most of them have said "no problem, if you can't get to it this year, put us on for next year".

I've also decided I'm not going to be stressed out by it. I wanted to lighten my work load, and so I have been saying no to work that is too big or difficult, and just trying to remind myself that I don't want the stress. It has helped my mindset so far, and enjoying the work. I may feel differently in fall, as I may be working alone then.

·
Banned
878 Posts
That's nuts. Around here, it's much the same. Wages are not scaling with the cost of living.

They tried raising minimum wage, but it only helped people who were already making minimum wage. Nobody at $21/hour got a raise when the minimum went for om $11 to 14.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Some reputable paint companies in my region are advertising as much as $60/hr for W-2 employees w/10 years experience...$45/hr w/5 years experience, and are urgently in need of hiring, even offering sign-on bonuses. Entry level positions are commanding ~ $20/hr...

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
You should see the housing market, out of staters (california) moving here and buying up all the property for cash pricing the locals out of the market.
Tell me about it...I’m closing on the sale of my house in ~ 2 weeks, and have been frantically shopping out-of-state for a new one. Many sellers in the areas I’m looking at are requiring cash-only w/no contingencies, and the houses are listed @ 33% + above fair market value, plus being bid up well above asking price. Many buyers are even purchasing houses sight-unseen. I received an offer on my home well above full asking price...sight-unseen...all cash..no inspections.

I’m thinking of renting for a year in hopes the housing market cools down a bit...rentals right now are even slim to none..

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Some reputable paint companies in my region are advertising as much as $60/hr for W-2 employees w/10 years experience...$45/hr w/5 years experience, and are urgently in need of hiring, even offering sign-on bonuses. Entry level positions are commanding ~ $20/hr...
Holy smokes i think ill move there

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
You should see the housing market, out of staters (california) moving here and buying up all the property for cash pricing the locals out of the market.
California is experiencing the same thing. Not sure who is buying these properties, but our house has gone up in value 50+% this year just from the sales of homes in our development.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Tell me about it...I’m closing on the sale of my house in ~ 2 weeks, and have been frantically shopping out-of-state for a new one. Many sellers in the areas I’m looking at are requiring cash-only w/no contingencies, and the houses are listed @ 33% + above fair market value, plus being bid up well above asking price. Many buyers are even purchasing houses sight-unseen. I received an offer on my home well above full asking price...sight-unseen...all cash..no inspections.

I’m thinking of renting for a year in hopes the housing market cools down a bit...rentals right now are even slim to none..
I'm thinking about moving into the van life. Seriously.

·
Banned
878 Posts
It's the same around southern Ontario... Not sure where the housing shortage came from, seeing as how our population has remained fairly steady. I have a feeling a lot of wealthy foreign people are buying real estate and letting it sit empty, like what has been happening in Vancouver. Must be a bunch of empty buildings in Toronto.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,922 Posts
local
I'm thinking about moving into the van life. Seriously.
Yep. I have a couple friends in BC who are already doing that. Converting those Big Dodge Vans. They just get a membership at the local ymca for showers etc. Not sure I could do it. Finding a good spot to park is always the hardest part.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts