Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An old trim carpenter here, retired due to economy. Browsing the site, looking for a few tips, and remembering my experience with you guys.
Let me start by saying I have nothing but utmost respect for professional painters. You always made my work look great, and I enjoyed the jokes and banter, all in good fun. But I was always amazed at the lack of respect you guys get, from other trades, the contractor and many times the homeowner.
I don't know how many times I saw materials leaned against a finished wall, and you retouching again where someone had dinged the finish. And you know the headaches of having to use below par paint with high end expectations. Many more things than I can list here, just wanted to give you the respect you deserve. I will do my own because I must, I am no painter but you folks are artists. Yeah, many DIY shows tell how you can "slap" on a coat of paint, and it looks good on a 21 inch TV screen. But I have seen real artistry, and it has saved my @#$ many times. Just wanted to say thanks! My hat is off to the pros.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
OK, what you you want ??

(sorry, couldn't resist. Obviously we ain't used to this sort of unsolicited praise and recognition)

:thumbup: :notworthy: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, what you you want ??

(sorry, couldn't resist. Obviously we ain't used to this sort of unsolicited praise and recognition)

daArch, OK you got me. What I need is my whole house painted for the price my drunk brother-in-law quoted me ( You'll have to clean and prep, too) and ask your supplier for 20 gallons of super white in a mistint...
-Doc

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Can we keep him Bill?:)

LOL, welcome to the forum, thanks for the kind words! Sometimes I think we are our own worst enemies at times though!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
An old trim carpenter here, retired due to economy. Browsing the site, looking for a few tips, and remembering my experience with you guys.
Let me start by saying I have nothing but utmost respect for professional painters. You always made my work look great, and I enjoyed the jokes and banter, all in good fun. But I was always amazed at the lack of respect you guys get, from other trades, the contractor and many times the homeowner.
I don't know how many times I saw materials leaned against a finished wall, and you retouching again where someone had dinged the finish. And you know the headaches of having to use below par paint with high end expectations. Many more things than I can list here, just wanted to give you the respect you deserve. I will do my own because I must, I am no painter but you folks are artists. Yeah, many DIY shows tell how you can "slap" on a coat of paint, and it looks good on a 21 inch TV screen. But I have seen real artistry, and it has saved my @#$ many times. Just wanted to say thanks! My hat is off to the pros.
Will you be my friend ?!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Great, my price stands...shall we sign?

oh wait, what?

for a moment there I thought you were greasing up the 'ole business end...

thank you, maintaining my "smile" while other contractors tear away at my canvas like drunken monkeys is tough.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Being the Regimental person that I am let's just break it down like my dear ole dad sees it. The Pecking Order

My dad is a A1 Engineer and B2 Builder
3rd is the plumber 4th is the electrician 5th is our NEW FRIEND the carpenter and then us.

It is humbling to know that you rank 6th in the chain.

But like dear ole dad says, "there is $$$ in all trades/crafts, and the key is a successful Business.

Thanks for letting us all know we have covered your 6 for soo loongg. Lol

·
Premium Member
14,974 Posts
Thanks Old Doc, for the kind words.

I've been working as a painter for too many years, and can verify that "painters" (not painting contractors) do not get the respect that most painters deserve from other trades. I believe this is why too many "painters" want to become painting contractors even though so many are ill prepared to run a business, or understand how to effectively manage employees. I believe the perception is that having the title of contractor, whether one operates legitimately or not, supposedly elevates ones social status.

I recognized my limitations a long time ago, and knew what I wasn't prepared to endure as a contractor. Being a painter has worked out well for me despite the lack of respect. I know that a good painter develops the logistical skills to operate in large areas, including those with difficult access that other trades don't posses as well.

Also, the chemistry of the materials we use, and the regulatory compliances we're bound by, are not considered by our critics. Other trades rarely care about the application methods of a liquified material, or the environmental working conditions that are often times less desirable then what the product manufacturers recommend. Not to mention the safety concerns we're responsible for, not only for our selves, but for others who may be exposed to the toxic materials we often use.

We as painters need to respect ourselves, and not expect it from others.

·
The Long Island Painter
396 Posts
I agree with the above post. I blogged aoiut this. Face it. Some painters present themselves as animals and show no concern for the homeowner. They hurt it for all the "good guys". I would guess, that does not apply with most on this site as most posters seem knowledgeable and want to better the trade by posting and sharing thoughts.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
We as painters need to respect ourselves, and not expect it from others.
Good point CA.
I am a firm believer that we "teach others how to treat us". If you have respect in yourself and conduct yourself in a manor that warrants respect, you will earn it. Occasionally we still get some half ass carpenter or tradesperson looking down their nose at the"F...ing painter", but by in large when there are multiple trades on a project we are the ones who shine. It quickly becomes evident who's got their sh!t together by their appearance, performance and attitude.
Unfortunately I think some of the negative reputations and lack of respect for the "painter" has been earned. The guy with the "$45/ room" on his truck telling everybody that "their painter sucks" isn't helping.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks lads, but I owe YOU one. I don't know the inside stuff of your business, and yes I've seen at least one of you guys that thought "Goof off" was a job description, but I am serious about the kudos. You paint a room, and own it from then on- throughout all the trade's work, even when the carpet guys shred the baseboards to even the mover's carelessness, and it's your fault. I'm guilty myself- I didn't know that a simple wedding ring can streak white paint, until I did a few more times just to see. And many specialty finishes can't just be "touched up." You're part chemist, part artist ( and part human :)) and all patience. I hope for your sake it's all cost plus basis. Good luck to you all. I'll be quiet now, but I'll always respect a good painter.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts