Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in August of this year i flew out to Sweden , Palm Fine Arts , to learn some trompe L'oeil with the wonderfully talented Mats Carlson , it was an amazing week , here's some pics of my door , taken from my mobile phone , not the best , infact i can't stand back far enough to get the whole door in as the quallity of the pic is really bad , anyway here's some close ups :)

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
This door was painted on Mylar plastic film , which is great for transporting purposes.
Last pic of me and the door. lots to do still , infact i did'nt get it finished in Sweden , I've only just had time recently to finish it at home !!

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice work Jeremy!

So are you meaning that the Trompe L' oeil is actually a painted simulation of the decorative carving? That's awesome!
Thanks CA:)
Yes everthing is painted moldings ornaments and of course the grain , I've been graining for many years, but this is new to me, as in the trompes ,i have much admired the technique for some time , i still have much to learn about Trompe L'oeil , i find it absolutely facinating .

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the nice comments , its nice to know what other people think , although i am never 100% happy with anything i do :001_unsure:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Jeremy T said:
This door was painted on Mylar plastic film , which is great for transporting purposes.
Last pic of me and the door. lots to do still , infact i did'nt get it finished in Sweden , I've only just had time recently to finish it at home !!
Many times when taking a class, I also had to finish my Panels at Home as I always seem to run out of time... I do not think most pdople realize just how long it takes to Draw... and Paint / Shade... Trompe L Oeil Mouldings !
But the results sure make a Panel look Awesome to me.
Another Great Panel Jeremy!

I am finally over the hump on a Large Graining Project that Needs to be Complete by Thanksgiving.... At the same time on the home stretch of building a Studio,and samples for 3 other projects that will begin after Thanksgiving. Man I'm Tired !

Matts is a Great Artist.... Taught by Yannick and complimented by him also....

Hoping to post some Great Stuff Very Soon....

Michael Tust

Mi

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many times when taking a class, I also had to finish my Panels at Home as I always seem to run out of time... I do not think most pdople realize just how long it takes to Draw... and Paint / Shade... Trompe L Oeil Mouldings !
But the results sure make a Panel look Awesome to me.
Another Great Panel Jeremy!

I am finally over the hump on a Large Graining Project that Needs to be Complete by Thanksgiving.... At the same time on the home stretch of building a Studio,and samples for 3 other projects that will begin after Thanksgiving. Man I'm Tired !

Matts is a Great Artist.... Taught by Yannick and complimented by him also....

Hoping to post some Great Stuff Very Soon....

Michael Tust

Mi
Hi Michael, thanks for the nice comments , yes your quite right when saying that it takes time to do elaborate work like this and also for me the trompes is new so the learning curxe is a big one , i love these techniques and will be using them for many future graining and marbling panels, the trompes add so much to a piece of work .

Yes Mats is an excellent and very gifted decorative painter , i think he has made quite a name for himself in the teaching ranks as more and more people want to learn from him .

Really looking forward to seeing some of your recent projects , you have already displayed on here some very fine work indeed .

J.

I've tried taking some more pics but the quality is not great , really need to buy a good camera .

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That pavement art is amazing theres a guy called Julien Beever ,who does this stuff ...mind blowing :notworthy:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Jeremy T said:
Hi Michael, thanks for the nice comments , yes your quite right when saying that it takes time to do elaborate work like this and also for me the trompes is new so the learning curxe is a big one , i love these techniques and will be using them for many future graining and marbling panels, the trompes add so much to a piece of work .

Yes Mats is an excellent and very gifted decorative painter , i think he has made quite a name for himself in the teaching ranks as more and more people want to learn from him .

Really looking forward to seeing some of your recent projects , you have already displayed on here some very fine work indeed .

Thanks....!
I also am not happy with most of my photos,as they lack the Depth that they actually have... I hope to have a friend of mine take some good pictures of this project, as it is to me one of the better Graining Jobs I have done.

Michael Tust

·
Registered
410 Posts
You mean thats not a wood door?

Looks like a heavy wood door with all kinda crazy ornate trim nailed to it.

But thats all mylar plastic?

How long did that take you to do?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Looks really incredible to me as well; certainly very beautiful. It must have taken many hours of painstaking detailed work to achieve. How much would something like that cost?
I wouldn't be surprised if it costs more than a real door with those same details!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts