Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, 8-5 today will be at the RRP Lead course. Sounds like a fun day (note sarcasm here).

·
Super Moderator
9,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Class was not as bad as I was expecting. Some aspects of clean up and clean up verification are a little ridiculous. If you have an interior that is in bad shape or is still all lead paint on the surface, that would be a very significant problem to deal with. For exteriors, I am thinking that the plastic requirements will kill a lot of landscaping and/or require some creative thinking to catch lead chips without damaging the plants. I do think they underestimate the cost (5-8% of a typical job, whatever that is) of following the rules.

Who is really going to be affected? I will just say this, if you have a pre-1978 house and want to replace the windows, do it now since I think installation costs for windows would have to double to accommodate the rules.

·
Paint Store Owner
5,550 Posts
Couldn't you use the paper drops with the plastic backing...plastic side facing up...so as to not cook the grass/landscaping? Never tried it...just having a brain fart.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
I have been reading horror stories about the issues using plastic on other forums. The price of materials and extra prep seems to be grossly underestimated as well.

Is there anyone here that does Lead Abatement (not just repair/renovate)?

·
Lead safe
96 Posts
The cost of the plastic is not much you can buy a 100 x10foot roll at lowes or home depot for $100.Buy a good hepa vac.Just as you would with paint or any other materials add it into the job.You will have more labor in set up and removal price that in as well..You will also have a certificate from the class that you can sell to your customers."I have a certificate from EPA or HUD so i know how to keep you family and home safe while my company is working on your property". There are many government and state funded programs that will require this level of work so this could open a lot of doors for painting companies.The class might seem like a lot of bs.The thing to think about is this law is not only to protect the home owner it's to protect you.After you take the class and you are working on a pre 1978 house when you go for lunch you will know why it's important to wash your hands before you eat.

·
Super Moderator
9,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My biggest worry is this is going to become a bunch of rules that certain types of customers try to use as an excuse not to pay a contractor. Even if you try to comply, there is enough open areas for a lawyer to drive a barge through if a homeowner wants to try.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
My biggest worry is this is going to become a bunch of rules that certain types of customers try to use as an excuse not to pay a contractor. Even if you try to comply, there is enough open areas for a lawyer to drive a barge through if a homeowner wants to try.
The whole thing is so open ended that a contractor has no idea if he is protected at all.This is such a big big issue, the government wants us contractors to help with it, but there is too many loop holes for people to hold you responsible years after.Right now as it sets, it not worth it unless the government is going to protect the contractor better.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I do think they underestimate the cost (5-8% of a typical job, whatever that is) of following the rules.
Thanks for this report. I think they WAY underestimate it. I also have read over some of the procedure's, and I think there are more realistic ways to accomplish the task safely, with less bureaucracy.

I think the procedures did not have enough design input from people who actually DO THE WORK. And are going to be pretty ridiculous from a practical standpoint.

But the issue does need to be addressed. And hopefully as the industry embarks on the effort to remove lead safely they will streamline some of the procedures and sanction more efficient and effective methods to remove lead safely.

Nice thread/post DeanV.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Can't belief there are no training courses in IL ??? I was looking to take this earlier and couldn't find info. Any help?

·
Paint Store Owner
5,550 Posts
It seems to me that you would almost want to have a separate company do any type of lead removal....be it your company or a sub. It should be treated like "black mold", something that every homeowner is terrified of, and will pay through the nose to be rid of.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
This comment by John got me thinking:
but there is too many loop holes for people to hold you responsible years after.
I can see some litigious SOB in the future claim a contractor was careless and polluted the ground around his house with lead. Perhaps it would be wise to take soil samples both before and after the work and have them tested. This would protect both contractor and HO by giving them clear evidence of pre-existing condition and of any change.

·
Super Moderator
9,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sampling tests are not cheap though. Every test you do is whether interior or exterior is going to be around $300 or so. If you do not test on a pre-78 home, you must assume there is lead and do the job accordingly.

One thing I asked was this: If there is lead paint on an interior of a home that is not on the surface but under layers of non-lead paint, do I need to follow the lead safe practices on the job? It sounds like that is a gray area. The instructor said that we should be fine to do our regular procedures then, since the lead IS NOT BEING DISTURBED, so there is no exposure risk. Now, if the paint needs serious prepwork and the lead layers are exposed or become exposed, then you would need to follow the lead safe practices.

The test sticks are only so useful, since they are only good for a spot check of isolated areas, not good for a whole house testing. A whole house is tested with an XRF machine (doing a few hundred readings in the house) and will find lead in deeper layers as well as surface layers without having to sand to expose all layers (like the test sticks would need).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts